microsoft router/linksys game adapter

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Can someone please help me set up a microsoft wireless g
router with a linksys wireless b game adapter. I need to
know the settings on the router and pretty much how to get
this connection started. Also, will a McAfee internet
security, firewall etc., interfere with the router.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

uninstall internet security mn-700 has a backward
compatibility that is by default it has support for
wireless b adapter

If you have the router working with a PC, you are pretty
much set on that side -- if you are using a console, you
may set it into the DMZ (so you don't get blocked by the
router internal firewall). You need to go to the router
Security screen to do this. You also have to assign a
static IP to the game adapter (remember that it needs to be
on a 192.168.2.x subnet)

You need to figure out how to set the game adapter however
-- the people on this newsgroup specialize in MS wifi
hardware. You probably should be able to get the answer
from linksys.

In general, there are two ways to install game adapters --
either you have to configure it on a PC before using it on
a console, or put in the console and configure it there. I
have no idea how the linksys works...

joker

Make sure the MN-700 is set to run in mixed mode. The 802.11b device
may not support WPA security is another concern.

bob wrote:
> Can someone please help me set up a microsoft wireless g
> router with a linksys wireless b game adapter. I need to
> know the settings on the router and pretty much how to get
> this connection started. Also, will a McAfee internet
> security, firewall etc., interfere with the router.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Dear bob,

All I can tell you is my successful experience with
setting up a Linksys 802.11b game adapter for my PS2 my
MN-700 router wireless LAN. This is what I did and it
works.

You first program the Linksys game adpater throuh a wired
ethernet connection on a PC. Follow most of the
instruction that came with the adpater. It will support
128-bit WEP, which is cool. The problem that's not
explained well in the instructions is how do you save and
initiate the settings you have installed?

You have to toggle your way through the various default
setting types on the game adapter until you the LED
displays the "P#" series. It begins with "P1",
then "P2", etc. These are the programs where you
installed your settings on the adpater. Like most of us,
you'll only need one. So, "P1" is what you want. Set
the LED to "P1".

Now connect the game adapter to the ethernet port of your
game console (PS2?). Use the supplied CD for the console
and initiate setup of the ISP. Follow instructions
there. And you gaming online phat!!!

BTW, I did not assign a static IP to the game adapter.
The problem is the game adpater and/or ethernet adapter
appear to require TWO dynamic IPs. I do not know why
(more knowledgable people here can explain - I just went
with what worked), but each appear on my DHCP client list
with separate IP leases, although MAC filtering (for
security) only requires the game adapter MAC address.

Anyway, more question, I'm here. Good Luck!