(40K) 710 pt SM army for review

Im going to be playing this Sat at my local GW store, and would like to put
this up for your critique.
Scenario is: insert - investigate silent repeater station-get ambushed by
Nids - get out w/ at least half your troops. Im figuring lots of running and
gunning.

Cant remember exact costs off the top of my head, but I did the 'rithmatic
this a.m., and it was w/in the points limit.

HQ - Chaplian (MoS)
- MC pwr sword, artificer armor, frag/krak gren.

Troop - Vet sgt + 9 SM
Vet sgt - Term honors, 1 X Light Claw, strm bolt, purity
seals
SM - all w/ frag gren, 1 X hvy bolt, 1 X meltagun
Transport - Rhino - pintle strm bolt

Troop - Scouts - sgt w/ hvy bolt, scouts 4 X sniper rifles, all frag/krak
gren.

So, Ive gotten this far, but am stuck as to what to do w/ the remaining
points. I was thinking either
a) 5-man Dev squad w/ multi melta and Lascannon, b) another tact sqd w/
rhino or c) Landspdr Torn. w/ ass. cannon.

Help?

drgrbek

In article <dcrdvh$qlv$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>, Ryan Elkins,
relkins@u.washington.edu Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Im going to be playing this Sat at my local GW store, and would like to put
> this up for your critique.

(I take it that the units you've listed are pretty much what you've got
available? Also - what's the exact points limit of the battle out of
curiosity?)

> Scenario is: insert - investigate silent repeater station-get ambushed by
> Nids - get out w/ at least half your troops. Im figuring lots of running and
> gunning.
>
> Cant remember exact costs off the top of my head, but I did the 'rithmatic
> this a.m., and it was w/in the points limit.
>
> HQ - Chaplian (MoS)
> - MC pwr sword, artificer armor, frag/krak gren.
>
> Troop - Vet sgt + 9 SM
> Vet sgt - Term honors, 1 X Light Claw, strm bolt, purity
> seals

Either make this guy mainly shooty or mainly HTH - trying to do
both means wasting points at least part of the time no matter what he's
doing. In light of the 'run & gun' theme - go with shooty. (Spend the
extra points on things like extra armor and smoke for the rhinos.)

> SM - all w/ frag gren, 1 X hvy bolt, 1 X meltagun
> Transport - Rhino - pintle strm bolt

Ditch the melta and go with a plasma gun. Better range than the
melta - by the time the melta's in range of a big bug, you'll likely
already be in HTH.

> Troop - Scouts - sgt w/ hvy bolt, scouts 4 X sniper rifles, all frag/krak
> gren.

Snipers aren't the greatest choice against Nids for the simple
fact you won't pin anything within Synapse range. (Also - can the Sgt
have the hvy bolter, I thought it had to be one of the grunts?) Perhaps
ditch them altogether and get the 2nd Tac Sqd and the Land Speeder?
(Again - in a 'run & gun' game, scouts without transports aren't going
to be very mobile.)

> So, Ive gotten this far, but am stuck as to what to do w/ the remaining
> points. I was thinking either
> a) 5-man Dev squad w/ multi melta and Lascannon, b) another tact sqd w/
> rhino or c) Landspdr Torn. w/ ass. cannon.

Go with B or C. Choice A is definitely *NOT* 'run & gun' material. A
fast moving (need a 6 to hit in HTH) Landspdr can be a real pain - if
it's armed with an ass-cannon, that pain can easily become fatal for a
big bug. Even another Tac Squad with an upgraded Rhino would probably
be better in a game where mobility = survivability and victory.

Also - consider the venerable rocket launcher over the hvy bolter in
smaller games against the bugs. The choice of a small blast template
*OR* an S8 crack missile is rather handy as it gives that unit a wider
range of target options if there's only a 'big bug' in sight. And a
well placed template in a crowd of bugs has the potential to kill more
of them than the hvy bolter.

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...