ste

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002
i am going to add an ide mobile rack, it will be together with the system hd on the primary channel, external connector as slave.
The question is: will the system hd (on the middle connector) still work even after i unplug the rack?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could set a drive as removable in Windows 98, I used to do that a lot. XP hasn't progressed that far.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Because BIOS had to detect the drive, you had to have it in at boot. After that, you could take it out, put it in another system, power that one up, do stuff with the files, yank it, pop it back into your system, etc. So the only restriction was BIOS having to detect the drive.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ste

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002
I didnt mean hotplugging it, what i meant was, if the system would still run with the internal hd on the middle connector and the empty rack on the last connector of the same ide cable.