"cmos setup wrong"

Right after turning on the computer, on the black screen where it first loads
it stops and says CMOS SETUP WRONG and i just continue without the setup.
how should i fix the problem? it changes my time and it wouldn't let me
update now because 'rpc server is unavailable'
whats going on! i'm so confused. haha help me please =)
14 answers Last reply
More about cmos setup wrong

    Figureing all is set properly in the BIOS,unplug computer,remove the battery,
    locate the CMOS jumper pin and move from 1-2 position to 2-3 position for
    2 minutes,then back to 1-2.Replace battery,start computer,you'll need to
    reset basic BIOS settings on restart.

    "ami" wrote:

    > Right after turning on the computer, on the black screen where it first loads
    > it stops and says CMOS SETUP WRONG and i just continue without the setup.
    > how should i fix the problem? it changes my time and it wouldn't let me
    > update now because 'rpc server is unavailable'
    > whats going on! i'm so confused. haha help me please =)

    Start by changing your system time in CMOS.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "ami" <ami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Right after turning on the computer, on the black screen where it first
    > loads
    > it stops and says CMOS SETUP WRONG and i just continue without the setup.
    > how should i fix the problem? it changes my time and it wouldn't let me
    > update now because 'rpc server is unavailable'
    > whats going on! i'm so confused. haha help me please =)

    I'm really sorry but how do i change it into CMOS in the first place
    if the "setup is wrong?"

    Andrew E. wrote:
    > Figureing all is set properly in the BIOS,unplug computer,
    > remove the battery,locate the CMOS jumper pin and move
    > from 1-2 position to 2-3 position for 2 minutes,then back
    > to 1-2.Replace battery,start computer,you'll need to
    > reset basic BIOS settings on restart.

    A little bit of knowledge makes some people dangerous.

    First... the error message indicates that the settings are wrong and
    probably have been lost, so removing the battery (which will work all
    by itself in removing stored CMOS settings) won't fix the OP's problem.
    Neither will moving the pin (if the motherboard has that feature).

    The error message indicates that the proper CMOS settings already have
    been lost (CMOS battery probably needs changing) and are in need of
    manually re-setting. The OP doesn't sound as if he/she is too savvy in
    that department, so he/she needs to find the manual for the mainboard
    and look up the instructions for entering the system BIOS (usually done
    by tapping the DEL key during bootup) and then reset everything per
    that manual.

    Andrew,

    Not all systems have jumpers next to the battery. This is motherboard
    specific.

    --

    > Figureing all is set properly in the BIOS,unplug computer,remove the
    > battery,
    > locate the CMOS jumper pin and move from 1-2 position to 2-3 position for
    > 2 minutes,then back to 1-2.Replace battery,start computer,you'll need to
    > reset basic BIOS settings on restart.
    >
    > "ami" wrote:
    >
    >> Right after turning on the computer, on the black screen where it first
    >> loads
    >> it stops and says CMOS SETUP WRONG and i just continue without the setup.
    >> how should i fix the problem? it changes my time and it wouldn't let me
    >> update now because 'rpc server is unavailable'
    >> whats going on! i'm so confused. haha help me please =)

    Andrew,

    This sounds like poor advice for someone who states they don't even know how
    to access the CMOS setup.

    --
    Sir_George

    ami wrote:
    > I'm really sorry but how do i change it into CMOS in the first place
    > if the "setup is wrong?"

    The first thing you should see on your screen is a note telling you what to
    do to access the CMOS setup program. It's usually at the bottom of the
    screen and says something like "Hit <DEL> to enter Setup"

    Do it.

    Prowl around the various screens looking for a command that says: "Reset
    system defaults" or "Load fail-safe configuration." Select that option.

    Now look for a command that says "Save configuration and exit." Do that.

    This is the best you can hope for without digging into the guts.

    ami
    The symptoms you mention are usually caused by the motherboard battery
    running out, thus needs replacing. In most cases, the battery is a
    standard button battery CR2032 that is widely available (and not just
    from a computer store).

    Unfortunately, I can not be more specific regards making adjustments to
    your BIOS as they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. The default
    access method is to press the DEL key when the PC is booting up. Others
    such as Packard Bell use F10, Dell uses F2, Toshiba laptops are a mix of
    ESC then F1.

    Regards
    Daz

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:13:03 -0700, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
    wrote:

    >"ami" wrote:
    >
    >> Right after turning on the computer, on the black screen where it first loads
    >> it stops and says CMOS SETUP WRONG and i just continue without the setup.
    >> how should i fix the problem? it changes my time and it wouldn't let me
    >> update now because 'rpc server is unavailable'

    >> whats going on! i'm so confused. haha help me please =)
    > Figureing all is set properly in the BIOS,unplug computer,remove the battery,
    > locate the CMOS jumper pin and move from 1-2 position to 2-3 position for
    > 2 minutes,then back to 1-2.Replace battery,start computer,you'll need to
    > reset basic BIOS settings on restart.

    STOP. If this is what you consider good advice, stop giving it out.

    1. Many mainboards don't have jumpers to clear CMOS. Not all those
    that do use the pin configuration you are describing in a tone that
    seems to seem absolute.

    2. If you remove the battery, there is no need to adjust the jumper.
    If you have the jumper, and you use it to clear the CMOS, then there
    is no need to remove the battery.

    So please, stop giving advice.

    Hi There,

    Haven't seen you around in ages! Hope all is well. :o)

    --

    "Sir_George" <Sir_George@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    > Andrew,
    >
    > This sounds like poor advice for someone who states they don't even know
    > how to access the CMOS setup.
    >
    > --
    > Sir_George
    >

    > "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Figureing all is set properly in the BIOS,unplug computer,remove the
    >> battery,
    >> locate the CMOS jumper pin and move from 1-2 position to 2-3 position for
    >> 2 minutes,then back to 1-2.Replace battery,start computer,you'll need to
    >> reset basic BIOS settings on restart.
    >>
    >> "ami" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Right after turning on the computer, on the black screen where it first
    >>> loads
    >>> it stops and says CMOS SETUP WRONG and i just continue without the
    >>> setup.
    >>> how should i fix the problem? it changes my time and it wouldn't let me
    >>> update now because 'rpc server is unavailable'
    >>> whats going on! i'm so confused. haha help me please =)

    Hi Kelly,

    A few things have been keeping me busy, but it's nice to be back and I hope
    to be around a bit more: Thanks for asking.

    --
    Sir_George

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 04:31:46 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

    >After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, NobodyMan had this to say:
    >
    >> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:13:03 -0700, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Figureing all is set properly in the BIOS,unplug computer,remove the
    >>> battery,
    >>> locate the CMOS jumper pin and move from 1-2 position to 2-3 position for
    >>> 2 minutes,then back to 1-2.Replace battery,start computer,you'll need to
    >>> reset basic BIOS settings on restart.
    >>>
    >> STOP. If this is what you consider good advice, stop giving it out.
    >>
    >> 1. Many mainboards don't have jumpers to clear CMOS. Not all those
    >> that do use the pin configuration you are describing in a tone that
    >> seems to seem absolute.
    >>
    >> 2. If you remove the battery, there is no need to adjust the jumper.
    >> If you have the jumper, and you use it to clear the CMOS, then there
    >> is no need to remove the battery.
    >>
    >Not true. The procedure for example with the Asus A7V333 is to remove
    >battery, adjust jumper, put jumper back and then reinsert battery.
    >
    >> So please, stop giving advice.
    >I think YOU are the one that should stop giving advice. Especially when you
    >don't know what you're talking about.

    This has never been the case on any of the hundreds of motherboards
    I've worked on. Leave it to you to find the ONE that needs this.

    Why are you here? Shouldn't you be posting over on one of the Linux
    boards, you grumpy old bastard?

    Remove the cmos battery for a minute or so. Reinsert the cmos battery.
    Note the time and date on the PC. Turn off the PC and unplug it from the
    wall for an hour. Plug the PC back in and turn it on. Note the time and
    date. If its the same time, you have a depleted cmos battery. Replace it.

    The configuration data determined from the bios setup could be garbled due
    to bad CMOS itself (physical memory for the bios setup and configuration
    data). Changing the cmos battery won't fix this.

    Did you add or remove or change any hardware on your PC lately?

    "ami" <ami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Right after turning on the computer, on the black screen where it first
    loads
    > it stops and says CMOS SETUP WRONG and i just continue without the setup.
    > how should i fix the problem? it changes my time and it wouldn't let me
    > update now because 'rpc server is unavailable'
    > whats going on! i'm so confused. haha help me please =)

    You are most welcome and am still glad to see you around. :o)

    --

    > Hi Kelly,
    >
    > A few things have been keeping me busy, but it's nice to be back and I
    > hope to be around a bit more: Thanks for asking.
    >

    > --
    > Sir_George

    >> Hi There,
    >>
    >> Haven't seen you around in ages! Hope all is well. :o)
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "Sir_George" <Sir_George@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    >>> Andrew,
    >>>
    >>> This sounds like poor advice for someone who states they don't even know
    >>> how to access the CMOS setup.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Sir_George
    >>>

    >>> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message