[Poll] Anyone like the new lightning claws?

I can't stand them, but it isn't the claws themselves so much, poor as
they are - it's the fact that they're derived from the v3 SM power fist
design, and I can't stand that. It's oversized and chunky, the fingers
are clumsy and it extends too far down the arm, limiting posability to
generally pretty appalling poses - the SM Commander, the nadir of the
new lightning claw models, being a case in point - it's amazing how
much better that model looks when armed with absolutely anything else.

Philip Bowles
6 answers Last reply
More about poll lightning claws

    pbowles@aol.com wrote:
    > I can't stand them, but it isn't the claws themselves so much, poor as
    > they are - it's the fact that they're derived from the v3 SM power fist
    > design, and I can't stand that. It's oversized and chunky, the fingers

    I'm not a big fan, but I don't hate them as much as some of the other
    people. Have they come out with both left & right hands yet?
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "pbowles@aol.com" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in news:1123238821.093292.216360
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I can't stand them, but it isn't the claws themselves so much, poor as
    > they are - it's the fact that they're derived from the v3 SM power fist
    > design, and I can't stand that. It's oversized and chunky, the fingers
    > are clumsy and it extends too far down the arm, limiting posability to
    > generally pretty appalling poses - the SM Commander, the nadir of the
    > new lightning claw models, being a case in point - it's amazing how
    > much better that model looks when armed with absolutely anything else.
    >
    > Philip Bowles

    I hate them too
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I can't stand them, but it isn't the claws themselves so much, poor as
    > they are - it's the fact that they're derived from the v3 SM power fist
    > design, and I can't stand that. It's oversized and chunky, the fingers
    > are clumsy and it extends too far down the arm, limiting posability to
    > generally pretty appalling poses - the SM Commander, the nadir of the
    > new lightning claw models, being a case in point - it's amazing how
    > much better that model looks when armed with absolutely anything else.
    >
    > Philip Bowles

    I think they could be a lot better, though I do prefer them to the old
    terminator lightning claws, which were rubbish.

    I think the blades are the way they are(like stabbing knives, rather than
    curved blades), because of some limitations with plastic moulding, rather
    than being intentionally that way from the first design phase.

    Rob
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <K7SdncAlfvtCOm7fRVn-gw@comcast.com>, Brion K. Lienhart wrote:
    > pbowles@aol.com wrote:
    >> I can't stand them, but it isn't the claws themselves so much, poor as
    >> they are - it's the fact that they're derived from the v3 SM power fist
    >> design, and I can't stand that. It's oversized and chunky, the fingers
    >
    > I'm not a big fan, but I don't hate them as much as some of the other
    > people. Have they come out with both left & right hands yet?

    Not in plastic, but there is a veteran sergeant with left and right
    metal lightning claws.

    --
    Joakim
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Robert Williams wrote:
    > I think they could be a lot better, though I do prefer them to
    > the old terminator lightning claws, which were rubbish.

    Nonsense. This is an open forum, so there's no need to kiss GW's arse
    out of habit. The old claws are clearly, unquestionably superior in
    design.

    > I think the blades are the way they are(like stabbing knives, rather than
    > curved blades), because of some limitations with plastic moulding, rather
    > than being intentionally that way from the first design phase.

    There is *nothing* about plastic moulding that would have prevented a
    result *much* closer to the previous design. The only thing plastic
    cannot do is undercuts in a mold, and the RT and 40k2 Lightning Claws
    don't depend on undercuts. Certainly, nothing stops the fingers from
    being smaller, or claws from being curved, aside from pure laziness.

    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Hey,

    I once converted some of the plastic SH Termi PFists to LClaws.

    I used the blades from four plastic cocktail stick 'swords'.

    Trimmed to length, they were glued over the filed-down PFist knuckles.

    The result was servicable, but stiff and somewhat amateurish, IMO.

    They lacked all of the elegance and artful detail of the old metal
    ones.

    Deja-vu.

    Playa

Video Games