install xp pro( USA)on computer running xp home in danish...

how can I do this...I am unable to upgrade as the US version can not read
exsisting program files....I have to do a full install, but do I have to
delete the danish version first...? I am worried about losing all my files in
the process...
thanx...LTI
6 answers Last reply
More about install computer running home danish

    In xp,simply run the file transfer wizard,set as old computer,select files,
    settings for it to save,save the data in a new folder that you created,once
    its thru,move the folder to a cd.Once all is saved,install xp pro cd,exit the
    info page,restart computer,boot to xp cd (you may need to adjust for this
    in the BIOS-boot device priority or similiar),once booted to cd,at info
    screen
    select,install xp,new copy,delete the partition,create one,then xp reformats
    and installs auto.

    "LTI" wrote:

    > how can I do this...I am unable to upgrade as the US version can not read
    > exsisting program files....I have to do a full install, but do I have to
    > delete the danish version first...? I am worried about losing all my files in
    > the process...
    > thanx...LTI

    hey, thanx for the speedy reply...I will follow those steps and pray I dont
    have to enter the BIOS boot device...thats uncharted territory for me....

    LTI wrote:

    > hey, thanx for the speedy reply...I will follow those steps and pray I
    > dont
    > have to enter the BIOS boot device...thats uncharted territory for
    > me....
    >
    > "Andrew E." wrote:
    >
    >> In xp,simply run the file transfer wizard,set as old
    >> computer,select files,
    >> settings for it to save,save the data in a new folder that you
    >> created,once its thru,move the folder to a cd.Once all is
    >> saved,install xp pro cd,exit the info page,restart computer,boot to
    >> xp cd (you may need to adjust for this in the BIOS-boot device
    >> priority or similiar),once booted to cd,at info
    >> screen
    >> select,install xp,new copy,delete the partition,create one,then xp
    >> reformats and installs auto.
    >>
    >> "LTI" wrote:
    >>
    >> > how can I do this...I am unable to upgrade as the US version can
    >> > not read exsisting program files....I have to do a full install,
    >> > but do I have to delete the danish version first...? I am worried
    >> > about losing all my files in the process...
    >> > thanx...LTI

    Noooo! Please don't follow Andrew's advice - he is a dangerous idiot.
    Please, please back up your data first onto removable media, cd-r or
    usb thumb drive, external hard drive, whatever. That way if something
    goes wrong with the Files & Transfer Wizard you will still have your
    data. Here are some links:

    Files & Transfer Wizard - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293118
    Step-by-step
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/mgrtfset.mspx

    If you are unsure how to back up your data (and I'm not trying to offend
    you but a person who doesn't know how to set his boot drive might not
    know how to back up), then get a knowledgeable friend or computer
    professional to help you. The whole point is not to have any nasty
    surprises when you go to put your data on the new system.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    "Malke" wrote:

    > LTI wrote:
    >
    > > hey, thanx for the speedy reply...I will follow those steps and pray I
    > > dont
    > > have to enter the BIOS boot device...thats uncharted territory for
    > > me....
    > >
    > > "Andrew E." wrote:
    > >
    > >> In xp,simply run the file transfer wizard,set as old
    > >> computer,select files,
    > >> settings for it to save,save the data in a new folder that you
    > >> created,once its thru,move the folder to a cd.Once all is
    > >> saved,install xp pro cd,exit the info page,restart computer,boot to
    > >> xp cd (you may need to adjust for this in the BIOS-boot device
    > >> priority or similiar),once booted to cd,at info
    > >> screen
    > >> select,install xp,new copy,delete the partition,create one,then xp
    > >> reformats and installs auto.

    > Noooo! Please don't follow Andrew's advice - he is a dangerous idiot.
    > Please, please back up your data first onto removable media, cd-r or
    > usb thumb drive, external hard drive, whatever. That way if something
    > goes wrong with the Files & Transfer Wizard you will still have your
    > data. Here are some links:
    >
    > Files & Transfer Wizard - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293118
    > Step-by-step
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/mgrtfset.mspx
    >
    > If you are unsure how to back up your data (and I'm not trying to offend
    > you but a person who doesn't know how to set his boot drive might not
    > know how to back up), then get a knowledgeable friend or computer
    > professional to help you. The whole point is not to have any nasty
    > surprises when you go to put your data on the new system.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    I have a feeling that you know andrew well....it seem though that he is
    telling me exaxctly what you are saying....ie back the folder up to a cd
    after creating it...
    I got the folder created on my desktop....now to find a couple of blank cd
    to use...
    as computers go, I am an average joe...but I will figure the boot drive out
    if need be...thanx for helping....Leif

    LTI wrote:

    > I have a feeling that you know andrew well....it seem though that he
    > is
    > telling me exaxctly what you are saying....ie back the folder up to a
    > cd after creating it...
    > I got the folder created on my desktop....now to find a couple of
    > blank cd to use...
    > as computers go, I am an average joe...but I will figure the boot
    > drive out if need be...thanx for helping....Leif

    Andrew E. is well known in this newsgroup. Sometimes he gives good
    advice, but most often he gives advice that if followed would cause the
    original poster to lose all data and/or the advice has nothing to do
    with the issue.

    Andrew was suggesting you use the File & Transfer Wizard to back up your
    data. I was suggesting that you just back up your data, although I gave
    you links to sites explaining the FTW. I think just backing up data
    "plain" is a good idea in case something goes wrong with the FTW, as it
    has for some people.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    well....here I am at the library computer...everything worked as expexted but
    some files missing that I cant find....I goofed removing all 3 partitions on
    my harddrive...I should have removed only the partition with the xphome on
    it...
    got my xppro and my files and settings loaded into the new( and only)
    partition I created,but cannot open anything,nor install programs of any
    kind...

    "Malke" wrote:

    > LTI wrote:
    >

    > > I have a feeling that you know andrew well....it seem though that he
    > > is
    > > telling me exaxctly what you are saying....ie back the folder up to a
    > > cd after creating it...
    > > I got the folder created on my desktop....now to find a couple of
    > > blank cd to use...
    > > as computers go, I am an average joe...but I will figure the boot
    > > drive out if need be...thanx for helping....Leif
    >
    > Andrew E. is well known in this newsgroup. Sometimes he gives good
    > advice, but most often he gives advice that if followed would cause the
    > original poster to lose all data and/or the advice has nothing to do
    > with the issue.
    >
    > Andrew was suggesting you use the File & Transfer Wizard to back up your
    > data. I was suggesting that you just back up your data, although I gave
    > you links to sites explaining the FTW. I think just backing up data
    > "plain" is a good idea in case something goes wrong with the FTW, as it
    > has for some people.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell