firebrick

Fortunately, I'm anal about important data backups.
So I finally bit the bullet and just did a complete reinstall of windows and
all the programs.
Took a few hours...but all is back to semi normal...LOL

Sector not found... Did you look under the sofa?

Bill H. in Chicagoland

You might want to try one of the imaging programs for your hard drive. This
will save the hours of reinstall time. Just make an image of the system once
you've got it set up the way that you like it. Then, when it comes time to
reinstall, just restore the image back to your hard drive and you'll be back
up and running within 20 minutes (Still keep backing up tho' - that way
you'll save all the stuff since the last image was made).

"FireBrick" wrote:

> Fortunately, I'm anal about important data backups.
> So I finally bit the bullet and just did a complete reinstall of windows and
> all the programs.
> Took a few hours...but all is back to semi normal...LOL

> Sector not found... Did you look under the sofa?
>
> Bill H. in Chicagoland

A faster way is to clone the entire system partition to another HD -
either a "secondary" internal HD or a HD on a removable tray.
If you have to switch systems, all you have to do is reboot, reset
the BIOS's HD boot order so that it sends control to the secondary
HD, then let it start up the clone system. For cloning, I use
Casper XP, downloadable in free trial form from their website at
http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/ . I put archive versions
of my primary system onto a large capacity HD which is housed
in a removable drive tray that was made by Kingwin. I've found
that their model with the fan in bottom of the removable tray keeps
the HD nice and cool. It's all aluminum, and you can currently find
the rack and tray set on the Web going for $24. See Kinwin's
website for details:
http://www.kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=25&ID=136

You can use several trays, each with a different HD, and use them
with the same rack. I've seen just the tray going for around $14.

When you make a clone, though, be sure to start up the new clone
for the 1st time with its "parent" system not visible to it. You can do
this by unplugging the "parent" HD. If you don't, the clone will
permanently depend on the presence of its "parent", and it will
never become an independent "adult" system. After its first bootup,
the new clone can be booted with the "parent" present, and it will
see the "parent" as just another partition having an accessible file
structure.

*TimDaniels*

"usasma" wrote:
> You might want to try one of the imaging programs for your hard drive.
> This will save the hours of reinstall time. Just make an image of the
> system once you've got it set up the way that you like it. Then, when
> it comes time to reinstall, just restore the image back to your hard
> drive and you'll be back up and running within 20 minutes (Still keep
> backing up tho' - that way you'll save all the stuff since the last image
> was made).
>
> "FireBrick" wrote:
>
>> Fortunately, I'm anal about important data backups.
>> So I finally bit the bullet and just did a complete reinstall of windows
>> and all the programs.
>> Took a few hours...but all is back to semi normal...LOL
>>
>> Bill H. in Chicagoland

TRENDING THREADS