WMP through TV speakers???

Mike_Stahl

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
My biggest problem is always trying to figure out in which forum to ask the question.

I have a new flat screen TV to which I've attached some better speakers.

This TV can be attached to a computer via VGA, HDMI and other stuff I have no clue about. (I'm new to all this technology.)

My old computer (a Dell Dimension C521 - the one by the TV) only has VGA and normal sound output. This computer is networked into my bedroom.

Is there some way I can attach my TV to my computer so that I can listen to my WMP playlist through the better speakers attached to it? Maybe add a second video card to the old computer with HDMI or something. All this "new" technology is virgin territory for me.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Solution
Yes!
Here is how.
Connect the VGA cable to the PC if you want sound.
Buy a miniRCA (headphone jack) to an RCA stereo Y cable ( the white and red stereo cables ). Plug the miniRCA into your headphone or speaker output on the PC and the other end to one of the inputs on the TV. With the VGA, there should be audio connections grouped with it.

*note, some TVs audio input on the VGA connection is also a miniRCA. So you would need a male to male miniRCA cable and your set! You can verify this by looking at the back of your TV.
Yes!
Here is how.
Connect the VGA cable to the PC if you want sound.
Buy a miniRCA (headphone jack) to an RCA stereo Y cable ( the white and red stereo cables ). Plug the miniRCA into your headphone or speaker output on the PC and the other end to one of the inputs on the TV. With the VGA, there should be audio connections grouped with it.

*note, some TVs audio input on the VGA connection is also a miniRCA. So you would need a male to male miniRCA cable and your set! You can verify this by looking at the back of your TV.

Solution

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If you will only listen to music on the TV set, you should shut off picture on the TV set for energy savings. On the Picture menu or Energy Saving menu ( this may be named differently on your TV set ), you should be able to do it.