rschilling

Distinguished
May 28, 2005
What is the difference between so called "value memory" and the higher cost "performance" memory? What do you get with each one.

Also, if I get 2gb of memory, should I get 4x512, or 2 x 1gb?

I am not interested in overclocking, will be using a Athlon dual core X2 3800. Doing MS office, internet, photo editing, 3D CAD.

Thanks.

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I've heard 4x512MB can perform better on some boards, but since you are not so interested in OCing, probably better to go for a setup that is more stable- 2x1024 offers a higher degree of stability.

There are some good value RAM modules out there. However, cheaper modules are normally not tested as thoroughly, and may use non-major brand chips. Major-brand chips have a wider range of compatibility and are generally more stable.

Not all value RAM modules are inexpensive. They are just relatively cheaper compared to the more epensive modules in their category.

OCZ has some good value RAM modules.

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"My Memory is not working today"
<font color=blue>AIM SoCaliCrowley

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i would also say 2x1024

value means budget, u will not notice much difference in normal use... if you were to overclock u would b limited by the memory quite likely also with value memory u get slower timings & Cas latency of 3 rather than 2.5 or 2 (yet again, unless u are a power user who tweaks ur pc bios settings, no real difference)

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

TRENDING THREADS