Windows XP compatible with my existing computer

How can I determine that my computer --a Dell Dimension L8006 that I
purchased some 6 years-- is qualified to run Windows Xp?

Alan

Avieum wrote:
> How can I determine that my computer --a Dell Dimension L8006 that I
> purchased some 6 years-- is qualified to run Windows Xp?
>
> Alan

This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Use the upgrade advisor.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

Avieum wrote:
> How can I determine that my computer --a Dell Dimension L8006 that I
> purchased some 6 years-- is qualified to run Windows Xp?
>
> Alan

If your computer didn't come with XP, then it is best to wait until you
buy a new computer to get XP.

And at 6 physical years old, your computer is like 60 years old in human
years. It is a working AARP member, but damned close to retirement!

--
Peace!
Kurt

LOL

You're talking about me again Kurt (-:

--

Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
> LOL
>
> You're talking about me again Kurt (-:

Well you should know how hard it is to teach a dog new tricks! If the
new trick is what you are interested in, then you are probably better
off getting a puppy.

--

In news:406105FD-BDC7-4548-95E1-53B37224BC4C@microsoft.com,
Avieum <Avieum@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> How can I determine that my computer --a Dell Dimension L8006
> that I
> purchased some 6 years-- is qualified to run Windows Xp?

Run the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

But note that, regardless of what it says *can* run Windows XP,
you need at least 256MB of RAM for decent performance with it.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Dazza

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2002

The XP CD has a feature on it that will check compatibility for both
hardware and software.

If you have the CD already and your Dell is still useable with another
version of Windows, pop the CD in, let it autorun and select the option
on screen to test compatibility. Any issues fould will be reported to
you on-screen.

Hth
Daz

Avieum wrote:
> How can I determine that my computer --a Dell Dimension L8006 that I
> purchased some 6 years-- is qualified to run Windows Xp?
>
> Alan

Also, post machine specs for us, we can basically tell you then.
"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Use the upgrade advisor.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Avieum" <Avieum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How can I determine that my computer --a Dell Dimension L8006 that I
>> purchased some 6 years-- is qualified to run Windows Xp?
>>
>> Alan

Phisherman

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 06:36:02 -0700, Avieum
<Avieum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How can I determine that my computer --a Dell Dimension L8006 that I
>purchased some 6 years-- is qualified to run Windows Xp?
>
>Alan

The install will test your PC or you can run a test online.
Unfortunately, microsoft allows machines with too little memory and
too slow of a processor to run XP adequately. I recommend a minimum
of 700MHz CPU and at least 256 MB ram (500 MB is better). Have at
least 15 GB hard disk free, as Windows is truly bloatware (I had to
install dot Net the other day just to install Ghost).