[GD] A Sign of the Times

I was browsing through some of my recent White Dwarfs, and came across
yet another sign of the Golden Demon's decline. Check out this
picture, it's the 2nd place 40K squad at the 2004 Chicago GD.

http://gamesday.us.games-workshop.com/GamesDay2004/Chicago/Coverage/Golden_Demon_Winners/images/cat2/iron_hands_c.gif

See the front of that Rhino? "Iron Within, Iron Without". Nifty,
huh? Maybe it would be... if this was an Iron Warriors unit, not an
Iron Hands unit! How can you win a GW-sponsored painting contest, and
make such a blatant and tremendous error with your entry? This is yet
another sign that GW's painting contest judges not only don't know
painting, they also don't know the subject matter.

I think I'm seeing why a lot of people don't bother with the Golden
Demons anymore. Aside from their insistence that you must have a
humongous over-the-top base and have no ability to do subtle
highlighting and shading (but, rather, should use the "ten shades
lighter line around the edges" method), they also don't seem to care
if you know a thing about your army. Reminds me of the lady who said
Orion was painted wrong because his skin was green (and yes, she was
one of the judges at GD Atlanta).
-Erik

Kurt

Orion was painted wrong because the painter didn't use a kilo of
concrete as the base coat. That figure wouldn't deserve to win a GD
even if the guys who do the Rackham stuff painted it.