pointer,videos,games etc.pause every 2 or 3 secounds (sp2?)

July 31, 2005 10:42:02 AM

Each time I start my pc, every couple of secounds my pointer,videos,games or
etc pause.I go to control panel,add hard wear,click next,and the problem
stops.I think the only thing new on my pc was an auto update of service pack
2.Not wanting to go through the conrol panel,add hardwear,click next thing
every time I start up, can ya help.
July 31, 2005 11:51:03 AM

Crate wrote:

> Each time I start my pc, every couple of secounds my
> pointer,videos,games or etc pause.I go to control panel,add hard
> wear,click next,and the problem stops.I think the only thing new on my
> pc was an auto update of service pack 2.Not wanting to go through the
> conrol panel,add hardwear,click next thing every time I start up, can
> ya help.

Why would adding hardware stop the pausing? Are you getting a prompt to
add new hardware?

How to ask a good newsgroup question:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Post back with a better description of your computer, the problem, and
what you've already done to troubleshoot and someone will help you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:o EvJH9dlFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Crate wrote:
>
> > Each time I start my pc, every couple of secounds my
> > pointer,videos,games or etc pause.I go to control panel,add hard
> > wear,click next,and the problem stops.I think the only thing new on my
> > pc was an auto update of service pack 2.Not wanting to go through the
> > conrol panel,add hardwear,click next thing every time I start up, can
> > ya help.
>
> Why would adding hardware stop the pausing? Are you getting a prompt to
> add new hardware?

Because, obviously, it's looking for something, it's either
not finding it, or it's not responding, and the system keeps
looking forever. ANH wizard refreshes all the stuff in the
PC, likely also resetting buses of various flavors, which
wakes up the offending device.

Don't berate the poster for your failing to understand the
problem.

to the OP: When you're experiencing the problem, go to Device
Manager and see if anything has a yellow exclamation point next
to it. Then close DM and do your "add new hardware" thing. See
if the exclamation point has gone away. If it has, look for new
drivers and/or instructions on the manufacturer's website on how
to fix whatever is is that SP2 broke for that piece of hardware.

Also check your Event Viewer logs for clues.

If you don't have any exclamation points, start uninstalling AND
disconnecting your hardware devices, one at a time, USB
anything would be a good place to start. Reboot
between each and see what makes a difference.

Similar symptoms to yours have been noted when Autorun
for optical drives is enabled. You can try turning it off (google
for instructions) temporarily to see if it improves.

> How to ask a good newsgroup question:
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> Post back with a better description of your computer, the problem, and
> what you've already done to troubleshoot and someone will help you.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
Related resources
July 31, 2005 2:59:00 PM

V Green wrote:

> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> news:o EvJH9dlFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Crate wrote:
>>
>> > Each time I start my pc, every couple of secounds my
>> > pointer,videos,games or etc pause.I go to control panel,add hard
>> > wear,click next,and the problem stops.I think the only thing new on
>> > my pc was an auto update of service pack 2.Not wanting to go
>> > through the conrol panel,add hardwear,click next thing every time I
>> > start up, can ya help.
>>
>> Why would adding hardware stop the pausing? Are you getting a prompt
>> to add new hardware?
>
> Because, obviously, it's looking for something, it's either
> not finding it, or it's not responding, and the system keeps
> looking forever. ANH wizard refreshes all the stuff in the
> PC, likely also resetting buses of various flavors, which
> wakes up the offending device.
>
> Don't berate the poster for your failing to understand the
> problem.
>
> to the OP: When you're experiencing the problem, go to Device
> Manager and see if anything has a yellow exclamation point next
> to it. Then close DM and do your "add new hardware" thing. See
> if the exclamation point has gone away. If it has, look for new
> drivers and/or instructions on the manufacturer's website on how
> to fix whatever is is that SP2 broke for that piece of hardware.
>
> Also check your Event Viewer logs for clues.
>
> If you don't have any exclamation points, start uninstalling AND
> disconnecting your hardware devices, one at a time, USB
> anything would be a good place to start. Reboot
> between each and see what makes a difference.
>
> Similar symptoms to yours have been noted when Autorun
> for optical drives is enabled. You can try turning it off (google
> for instructions) temporarily to see if it improves.

Asking for more information is not "berating the poster". Pointing the
poster to sites where he/she can get information to help them frame a
good question is not "berating the poster". You may very well be right
about what he/she wants, but without complete information it is a waste
of time to post lengthy answers. Far better to get an accurate
description of what is really happening, and the only person who can
provide that is the original poster.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 3:19:00 PM

> V Green wrote:
>

> > "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> > news:o EvJH9dlFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> >> Why would adding hardware stop the pausing? Are you getting a prompt
> >> to add new hardware?
> >
> > Because, obviously, it's looking for something, it's either
> > not finding it, or it's not responding, and the system keeps
> > looking forever. ANH wizard refreshes all the stuff in the
> > PC, likely also resetting buses of various flavors, which
> > wakes up the offending device.
> >
> > Don't berate the poster for your failing to understand the
> > problem.
> >
> > to the OP: When you're experiencing the problem, go to Device
> > Manager and see if anything has a yellow exclamation point next
> > to it. Then close DM and do your "add new hardware" thing. See
> > if the exclamation point has gone away. If it has, look for new
> > drivers and/or instructions on the manufacturer's website on how
> > to fix whatever is is that SP2 broke for that piece of hardware.
> >
> > Also check your Event Viewer logs for clues.
> >
> > If you don't have any exclamation points, start uninstalling AND
> > disconnecting your hardware devices, one at a time, USB
> > anything would be a good place to start. Reboot
> > between each and see what makes a difference.
> >
> > Similar symptoms to yours have been noted when Autorun
> > for optical drives is enabled. You can try turning it off (google
> > for instructions) temporarily to see if it improves.
> >

> Asking for more information is not "berating the poster". Pointing the
> poster to sites where he/she can get information to help them frame a
> good question is not "berating the poster". You may very well be right
> about what he/she wants, but without complete information it is a waste
> of time to post lengthy answers.

In your opinion.

Your post to him re: how to make a post was almost
as "lengthy" as mine. And it's belittling, by any definition of
the word, to have a question thrown back at you as not
specific enough for YOU to answer (operative word YOU)
when that might not be the case for others (in MY opinion).

Sorry you don't have the imagination to make a leap and
at least try to understand what his problem is and propose
a possible answer. Most of what I suggested is pretty generic stuff,
applicable to situations such as he desribed.

I guess I'm just not as "risk averse" as you.

> Far better to get an accurate
> description of what is really happening, and the only person who can
> provide that is the original poster.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
July 31, 2005 4:04:40 PM

V Green wrote:

> Your post to him re: how to make a post was almost
> as "lengthy" as mine. And it's belittling, by any definition of
> the word, to have a question thrown back at you as not
> specific enough for YOU to answer (operative word YOU)
> when that might not be the case for others (in MY opinion).
>
> Sorry you don't have the imagination to make a leap and
> at least try to understand what his problem is and propose
> a possible answer. Most of what I suggested is pretty generic stuff,
> applicable to situations such as he desribed.
>
> I guess I'm just not as "risk averse" as you.

You seem to want to insult me. I'm not sure why, but whatever floats
your boat.

*plonk*

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 4:31:57 PM

> V Green wrote:
>
> > Your post to him re: how to make a post was almost
> > as "lengthy" as mine. And it's belittling, by any definition of
> > the word, to have a question thrown back at you as not
> > specific enough for YOU to answer (operative word YOU)
> > when that might not be the case for others (in MY opinion).
> >
> > Sorry you don't have the imagination to make a leap and
> > at least try to understand what his problem is and propose
> > a possible answer. Most of what I suggested is pretty generic stuff,
> > applicable to situations such as he desribed.
> >
> > I guess I'm just not as "risk averse" as you.
> >

> You seem to want to insult me. I'm not sure why, but whatever floats
> your boat.

Nope.

Just think outside the box.

If you choose to feel insulted, perhaps I've touched a nerve?

It hasn't escaped my attention that you're able to offer excellent
advice and solutions - the NG's are replete with them.

It IS harder to offer advice if the PRECISE circumstances
surrounding a problem are not known, I grant you that.

Doesn't mean that one can't try, though.

> *plonk*

If you so choose.

> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:00:32 AM

"Crate" <Crate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > My pc appears to be an AMD Athlon xp 1800+ ????
> > > When I run the wizard I git the No New Hardwear Found.
> > > The problem seems to end before the wizard has time to start.
> > > I push next,wizard pauses,problem goes away then wizard does its
thing.
> > > Thanks,Crate.
> >
> > Try this:
> >
> > boot up, make sure you have the problem.
> >
> > Open Device Manager.
> >
> > Click the My Computer at the top (or whatever you renamed it to).
> >
> > Then do Action>>Scan for Hardware Changes.
> >
> > Check to see if it has the same result as running the Hardware Wizard
> > (that it makes the problem go away) or doesn't.
> >

> >Yes, that seems to make the problem go away also!?!?

OK, boot up again.

Make sure you have the problem.

Go to Device Manager again.

Click on My Computer.

Click Action>>Print.
Make sure that "All Devices and System Summary" is selected
and print the report.

Then do the Action>>Scan for Hardware Changes.

Do another report as you just did.

Compare them CAREFULLY, looking for changes.

Let us know what you find.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 4:26:12 PM

"V Green" wrote:

> "Crate" <Crate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> thing.
> > >
> > > Try this:
> > >
> > > boot up, make sure you have the problem.
> > >
> > > Open Device Manager.
> > >
> > > Click the My Computer at the top (or whatever you renamed it to).
> > >
> > > Then do Action>>Scan for Hardware Changes.
> > >
> > > Check to see if it has the same result as running the Hardware Wizard
> > > (that it makes the problem go away) or doesn't.
> > >

> > >Yes, that seems to make the problem go away also!?!?
> > >

> OK, boot up again.
>
> Make sure you have the problem.
>
> Go to Device Manager again.
>
> Click on My Computer.
>
> Click Action>>Print.
> Make sure that "All Devices and System Summary" is selected
> and print the report.
>
> Then do the Action>>Scan for Hardware Changes.
>
> Do another report as you just did.
>
> Compare them CAREFULLY, looking for changes.
>
> Let us know what you find.
>

>Welly,welly,well !!!

First: There was a small diffrance in free space on the c drive.

Secound: Class:D VD/CD-ROM drives
Device:40x12x48 CD-RW

This appared before the "fix" but not after.I thought I had checked out
both of my CD-ROM drives.I may have checked out the one that works, twice!?
I can't find any of my softwear or my manual(the girlfriend likes to
stray-ten up).I'm not even sure what brand it is.
If I try to trouble shoot it before the fix I git the not responding
message etc.
If I try the add hardwear after the fix it can't be found.
I don't use it vary often(maybe why I never noticed it did not work).Can I
git it to not be recognized at boot up?Any other suggestions?

Thank You So Much,Crate.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 9:27:06 PM

> "V Green" wrote:
>

> > "Crate" <Crate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > thing.

Wizard

> > OK, boot up again.
> >
> > Make sure you have the problem.
> >
> > Go to Device Manager again.
> >
> > Click on My Computer.
> >
> > Click Action>>Print.
> > Make sure that "All Devices and System Summary" is selected
> > and print the report.
> >
> > Then do the Action>>Scan for Hardware Changes.
> >
> > Do another report as you just did.
> >
> > Compare them CAREFULLY, looking for changes.
> >
> > Let us know what you find.
> >

> >Welly,welly,well !!!
>
> First: There was a small diffrance in free space on the c drive.
>
> Secound: Class:D VD/CD-ROM drives
> Device:40x12x48 CD-RW
>
> This appared before the "fix" but not after.I thought I had checked out
> both of my CD-ROM drives.I may have checked out the one that works,
twice!?
> I can't find any of my softwear or my manual(the girlfriend likes to
> stray-ten up).I'm not even sure what brand it is.
> If I try to trouble shoot it before the fix I git the not responding
> message etc.
> If I try the add hardwear after the fix it can't be found.
> I don't use it vary often(maybe why I never noticed it did not work).Can
> git it to not be recognized at boot up?Any other suggestions?
>
> Thank You So Much,Crate.

So, it's a problem and the system is mapping it out when
you scan for new hardware.

Use Device Manager to DISABLE it.

Reboot and check.

If it's still causing problems, get inside your case and disconnect
it AFTER removing it from Device Manager.

It might just be broken. If you can find out who made it, and it's
firmware upgradeable, do that.

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:05:01 AM

"V Green" wrote:

> "Crate" <Crate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "V Green" wrote:
> >

> > > "Crate" <Crate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > thing.

> Wizard

> > > OK, boot up again.
> > >
> > > Make sure you have the problem.
> > >
> > > Go to Device Manager again.
> > >
> > > Click on My Computer.
> > >
> > > Click Action>>Print.
> > > Make sure that "All Devices and System Summary" is selected
> > > and print the report.
> > >
> > > Then do the Action>>Scan for Hardware Changes.
> > >
> > > Do another report as you just did.
> > >
> > > Compare them CAREFULLY, looking for changes.
> > >
> > > Let us know what you find.
> > >

> > >Welly,welly,well !!!
> >
> > First: There was a small diffrance in free space on the c drive.
> >
> > Secound: Class:D VD/CD-ROM drives
> > Device:40x12x48 CD-RW
> >
> > This appared before the "fix" but not after.I thought I had checked out
> > both of my CD-ROM drives.I may have checked out the one that works,
> twice!?
> > I can't find any of my softwear or my manual(the girlfriend likes to
> > stray-ten up).I'm not even sure what brand it is.
> > If I try to trouble shoot it before the fix I git the not responding
> > message etc.
> > If I try the add hardwear after the fix it can't be found.
> > I don't use it vary often(maybe why I never noticed it did not work).Can
> > git it to not be recognized at boot up?Any other suggestions?
> >
> > Thank You So Much,Crate.
>
> So, it's a problem and the system is mapping it out when
> you scan for new hardware.
>
> Use Device Manager to DISABLE it.
>
> Reboot and check.
>
> If it's still causing problems, get inside your case and disconnect
> it AFTER removing it from Device Manager.
>
> It might just be broken. If you can find out who made it, and it's
> firmware upgradeable, do that.
>

> All is good now.Was able to disable.Will deal with the p.o.s.some other time.
V Green ROCKS,Is a saint,Is the bomb,etc etc etc.PEACE BE WITH YOU.Crate.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 10:00:52 PM

> "V Green" wrote:
>

> > "Crate" <Crate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > Wizard

> > > First: There was a small diffrance in free space on the c drive.
> > >
> > > Secound: Class:D VD/CD-ROM drives
> > > Device:40x12x48 CD-RW
> > >
> > > This appared before the "fix" but not after.I thought I had checked
out
> > > both of my CD-ROM drives.I may have checked out the one that works,
> > twice!?
> > > I can't find any of my softwear or my manual(the girlfriend likes to
> > > stray-ten up).I'm not even sure what brand it is.
> > > If I try to trouble shoot it before the fix I git the not responding
> > > message etc.
> > > If I try the add hardwear after the fix it can't be found.
> > > I don't use it vary often(maybe why I never noticed it did not
work).Can
> > > git it to not be recognized at boot up?Any other suggestions?
> > >
> > > Thank You So Much,Crate.
> >
> > So, it's a problem and the system is mapping it out when
> > you scan for new hardware.
> >
> > Use Device Manager to DISABLE it.
> >
> > Reboot and check.
> >
> > If it's still causing problems, get inside your case and disconnect
> > it AFTER removing it from Device Manager.
> >
> > It might just be broken. If you can find out who made it, and it's
> > firmware upgradeable, do that.
> >

> > All is good now.Was able to disable.Will deal with the p.o.s.some other
time.
> V Green ROCKS,Is a saint,Is the bomb,etc etc etc.PEACE BE WITH YOU.Crate.

Nah, just been dealing with recalcitrant hardware for longer than I
can remember and don't mind passing that knowledge along.

Stay frosty.
!