Windows XP Validation?

Hello,

I bought a used computer from a guy with WinXP Pro running on it.

I just discovered that the new validation required for Updates will not
accept my version of WinXP.

I know I will probably have to buy something to set this right. What is the
simplest way to get the WinXP Pro to validate? I'm trying not to have to
reinstall the whole thing.

Thanks a lot,

Bob
15 answers Last reply
More about windows validation

    ergobob wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I bought a used computer from a guy with WinXP Pro running on it.
    >
    > I just discovered that the new validation required for Updates will not
    > accept my version of WinXP.
    >
    > I know I will probably have to buy something to set this right. What is the
    > simplest way to get the WinXP Pro to validate? I'm trying not to have to
    > reinstall the whole thing.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > Bob

    If this applies:

    The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

    You need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full retail copy of
    WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
    using the new CD and Product Key.

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    ergobob wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I bought a used computer from a guy with WinXP Pro running on it.
    >
    > I just discovered that the new validation required for Updates will
    > not accept my version of WinXP.
    >
    > I know I will probably have to buy something to set this right. What
    > is the simplest way to get the WinXP Pro to validate? I'm trying not
    > to have to reinstall the whole thing.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > Bob

    Forget about using Windows & Microsoft Update. They just add another
    layer of code that can go wrong in the updating process. And with
    validation, that adds a second layer of useless and unnecessary BS to
    the patching process.

    Learn to protect your computer with Common Sense Computing.

    http://microscum.com/comsense

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    In news:JX4He.6599$p%3.33149@typhoon.sonic.net,
    ergobob <ergobob@sonic[REMOVE].net> typed:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I bought a used computer from a guy with WinXP Pro running on
    > it.
    >
    > I just discovered that the new validation required for Updates
    > will
    > not accept my version of WinXP.
    >
    > I know I will probably have to buy something to set this right.
    > What
    > is the simplest way to get the WinXP Pro to validate? I'm
    > trying not
    > to have to reinstall the whole thing.

    I see that you already have answers to the question you asked,
    but I wanted to add another point: if I bought a used computer,
    the first thing I would do with it would be to reinstall the
    operating system cleanly. You have no idea how the computer has
    been maintained, what has been installed incorrectly, what is
    missing, what viruses and spyware there may be, etc. I wouldn't
    want to live with somebody else's mistakes and problems,
    possibility of kiddie porn, etc., and I wouldn't recommend that
    anyone else do either.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Apparently, _kurttrail_, on 31/07/05 11:49,typed:
    > ergobob wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I bought a used computer from a guy with WinXP Pro running on it.
    >>
    >>I just discovered that the new validation required for Updates will
    >>not accept my version of WinXP.
    >>
    >>I know I will probably have to buy something to set this right. What
    >>is the simplest way to get the WinXP Pro to validate? I'm trying not
    >>to have to reinstall the whole thing.
    >>
    >>Thanks a lot,
    >>
    >>Bob
    >

    > Forget about using Windows & Microsoft Update. They just add another
    > layer of code that can go wrong in the updating process. And with
    > validation, that adds a second layer of useless and unnecessary BS to
    > the patching process.
    >
    > Learn to protect your computer with Common Sense Computing.
    >
    > http://microscum.com/comsense

    Hi,

    Thats some really good advice over there on your page. The section about
    updates had some new information for me.

    regards,
    Sam.

    --
    Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
    to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.

    kurttrail wrote:

    > ergobob wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I bought a used computer from a guy with WinXP Pro running on it.
    >>
    >>I just discovered that the new validation required for Updates will
    >>not accept my version of WinXP.
    >>
    >>I know I will probably have to buy something to set this right. What
    >>is the simplest way to get the WinXP Pro to validate? I'm trying not
    >>to have to reinstall the whole thing.
    >>
    >>Thanks a lot,
    >>
    >>Bob
    >

    > Forget about using Windows & Microsoft Update. They just add another
    > layer of code that can go wrong in the updating process. And with
    > validation, that adds a second layer of useless and unnecessary BS to
    > the patching process.
    >
    > Learn to protect your computer with Common Sense Computing.
    >
    > http://microscum.com/comsense

    What is really needed are 50 attorneys who are willing to
    file breach of contract suits in each of the 50 States. If
    Microsoft cannot meet the terms of its own contracts, EULA's,
    and so forth for the legitimate purchasers and users of its
    products, then a breach of the agreement(s) exists.

    If Microsoft really wants to be smart about its "Genuine
    Advantage" initiative, instead of self-serving hype, it should
    become the sole seller of the product and each copy-protected
    cdrom should have its own unique serial number. Then everyone
    will be happy. Who is pirating Apple OS-X these days?

    ergobob wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I bought a used computer from a guy with WinXP Pro running on it.
    >
    > I just discovered that the new validation required for Updates will not
    > accept my version of WinXP.
    >
    > I know I will probably have to buy something to set this right. What is the
    > simplest way to get the WinXP Pro to validate? I'm trying not to have to
    > reinstall the whole thing.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > Bob

    before clicking "express" or "custom", place the following text into the
    address bar and hit the enter button:

    javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')

    Note: This is probably illiegal, but if you really are running a legit
    version of windows, you shouldn't have to suffer because someone at
    microsoft can't write code correctly before releasing it. This sort of
    error has been happening a lot, but WGA worked fine for me.

    --
    At home I have a brick wall in my living room. I covered it with wall
    paper with pictures of bricks on it, just so I would be the only one

    [posted and mailed]

    Ash <furroash@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in

    > ergobob wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I bought a used computer from a guy with WinXP Pro running on it.
    >>
    >> I just discovered that the new validation required for Updates will
    >> not accept my version of WinXP.
    >>
    >> I know I will probably have to buy something to set this right. What
    >> is the simplest way to get the WinXP Pro to validate? I'm trying not
    >> to have to reinstall the whole thing.
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot,
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    > before clicking "express" or "custom", place the following text into
    > the address bar and hit the enter button:
    >
    > javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')
    >
    > Note: This is probably illiegal, but if you really are running a legit
    > version of windows, you shouldn't have to suffer because someone at
    > microsoft can't write code correctly before releasing it. This sort of
    > error has been happening a lot, but WGA worked fine for me.

    Is this a permament fix?

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:14:28 -0700, Mistoffolees
    <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote:

    >If Microsoft really wants to be smart about its "Genuine
    >Advantage" initiative, instead of self-serving hype, it should
    >become the sole seller of the product and each copy-protected
    >cdrom should have its own unique serial number. Then everyone
    >will be happy. Who is pirating Apple OS-X these days?

    That is a good idea. However, I read a somewhere that someone had
    trouble activating their copy of windows that was given to them by
    Microsoft.

    Dell , hp and other companies would not be to happy with that idea.
    They like to put their own crude on.

    Greg Ro

    "Ash" <furroash@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > ergobob wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I bought a used computer from a guy with WinXP Pro running on it.
    >>
    >> I just discovered that the new validation required for Updates will not
    >> accept my version of WinXP.
    >>
    >> I know I will probably have to buy something to set this right. What is
    >> the simplest way to get the WinXP Pro to validate? I'm trying not to have
    >> to reinstall the whole thing.
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot,
    >>
    >> Bob
    > before clicking "express" or "custom", place the following text into the
    > address bar and hit the enter button:
    >
    > javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')
    >
    > Note: This is probably illiegal, but if you really are running a legit
    > version of windows, you shouldn't have to suffer because someone at
    > microsoft can't write code correctly before releasing it. This sort of
    > error has been happening a lot, but WGA worked fine for me.
    >
    > --
    > At home I have a brick wall in my living room. I covered it with wall
    > paper with pictures of bricks on it, just so I would be the only one that
    > knew. I tell visitors to touch it, it feels real.

    Thanks so much Ash. Worked like a charm.

    Bob

    Cliff & Linda Miata wrote:
    > [posted and mailed]
    >
    > Ash <furroash@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in
    >
    >> ergobob wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I bought a used computer from a guy with WinXP Pro running on it.
    >>>
    >>> I just discovered that the new validation required for Updates will
    >>> not accept my version of WinXP.
    >>>
    >>> I know I will probably have to buy something to set this right. What
    >>> is the simplest way to get the WinXP Pro to validate? I'm trying not
    >>> to have to reinstall the whole thing.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a lot,
    >>>
    >>> Bob
    >>>

    >> before clicking "express" or "custom", place the following text into
    >> the address bar and hit the enter button:
    >>
    >> javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')
    >>
    >> Note: This is probably illiegal, but if you really are running a
    >> legit version of windows, you shouldn't have to suffer because
    >> someone at microsoft can't write code correctly before releasing it.
    >> This sort of error has been happening a lot, but WGA worked fine for
    >> me.
    >>

    > Is this a permament fix?

    It is a loophole that is bound to be closed, eventually.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Preferably after they fix the damned WGA.

    --
    - Mark Randall
    http://zetech.swehli.com

    Mark Randall wrote:
    > Preferably after they fix the damned WGA.

    LOL! No matter what MS does, it will screw up for someone somewhere
    somehow.

    Technologies that are meant to limit use, will, and will sometimes limit
    use when it is not supposed to.

    Best way not to get screwed is not buy any product that has use-limiting
    technology associated with it.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    > Cliff & Linda Miata wrote:
    >> [posted and mailed]
    >>
    >> Ash <furroash@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in

    >>> before clicking "express" or "custom", place the following text into
    >>> the address bar and hit the enter button:
    >>>
    >>> javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')
    >>>
    >>> Note: This is probably illiegal, but if you really are running a
    >>> legit version of windows, you shouldn't have to suffer because
    >>> someone at microsoft can't write code correctly before releasing it.
    >>> This sort of error has been happening a lot, but WGA worked fine for
    >>> me.
    >>>

    >> Is this a permament fix?
    >
    > It is a loophole that is bound to be closed, eventually.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt

    Already closed.

    Alias

    Alias wrote:
    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    > message news:ebEBdPhlFHA.1608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> Cliff & Linda Miata wrote:
    >>> [posted and mailed]
    >>>
    >>> Ash <furroash@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in

    >>> Is this a permament fix?
    >>
    >> It is a loophole that is bound to be closed, eventually.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >
    > Already closed.
    >
    > Alias

    Is it? I don't see how, unless MS has a way to update your browser
    without you knowing about it.

    It only worked for Windows and Microsoft Update, and it didn't prevent
    the WGA component from downloading, only made it unnecessary to run it
    before getting an update.

    http://kurttrail.com/kblog/kblogarch/00000074.php#comments

    Check out Cracker's comment & link left on my blog.

    --

    > Alias wrote:
    >> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    >> message news:ebEBdPhlFHA.1608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

    >>> It is a loophole that is bound to be closed, eventually.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Peace!
    >>> Kurt
    >>
    >> Already closed.
    >>
    >> Alias
    >
    > Is it? I don't see how, unless MS has a way to update your browser
    > without you knowing about it.
    >
    > It only worked for Windows and Microsoft Update, and it didn't prevent the
    > WGA component from downloading, only made it unnecessary to run it before
    > getting an update.
    >
    > http://kurttrail.com/kblog/kblogarch/00000074.php#comments
    >
    > Check out Cracker's comment & link left on my blog.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt

    Oh, that's different.