Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Acrobat Bundled with Office Question

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
April 2, 2004 8:19:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Our company has about 25 Optiplexes that have the Office XP / Acrobat
Bundle. I know that the copy of Office on each machine is an OEM version,
but I cannot find anywhere (packaging, EULA) that states the copy of Acrobat
is OEM. Anyone have any prior experience with this?????

Thanks,
Brian
Anonymous
April 2, 2004 8:19:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Brian" <bsullivanremovedSPAM@jr.com> wrote:

>Our company has about 25 Optiplexes that have the Office XP / Acrobat
>Bundle. I know that the copy of Office on each machine is an OEM version,
>but I cannot find anywhere (packaging, EULA) that states the copy of Acrobat
>is OEM. Anyone have any prior experience with this?????

The companies I have worked for have always assumed that, in such
a situation, the bundled software carries the same EULA terms as
the program it was bundled into - typically that it is tied to
the computer(s) that the company purchased.

Your company, of course, is free to do whatever it feels best in
the situation. When was the last time the Adobe Kounterfeit Kops
stormed your company's bastions?
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast]
April 3, 2004 3:20:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

That's not exactly my point. I know I could do that, but when one is
dealing with government oversight, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense,
does it?

Brian

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:nl8r605nogctmt92rb86ms33h6d74bljcp@4ax.com...
> "Brian" <bsullivanremovedSPAM@jr.com> wrote:
>
> >Our company has about 25 Optiplexes that have the Office XP / Acrobat
> >Bundle. I know that the copy of Office on each machine is an OEM
version,
> >but I cannot find anywhere (packaging, EULA) that states the copy of
Acrobat
> >is OEM. Anyone have any prior experience with this?????
>
> The companies I have worked for have always assumed that, in such
> a situation, the bundled software carries the same EULA terms as
> the program it was bundled into - typically that it is tied to
> the computer(s) that the company purchased.
>
> Your company, of course, is free to do whatever it feels best in
> the situation. When was the last time the Adobe Kounterfeit Kops
> stormed your company's bastions?
> --
> OJ III
> [Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast]
Related resources
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 3:20:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Brian" <bsullivanremovedSPAM@jr.com> wrote:

>"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote

>> "Brian" <bsullivanremovedSPAM@jr.com> wrote:

>>>Our company has about 25 Optiplexes that have the Office XP / Acrobat
>>>Bundle. I know that the copy of Office on each machine is an OEM version,
>>>but I cannot find anywhere (packaging, EULA) that states the copy of Acrobat
>>>is OEM. Anyone have any prior experience with this?????

>> The companies I have worked for have always assumed that, in such
>> a situation, the bundled software carries the same EULA terms as
>> the program it was bundled into - typically that it is tied to
>> the computer(s) that the company purchased.
>>
>> Your company, of course, is free to do whatever it feels best in
>> the situation. When was the last time the Adobe Kounterfeit Kops
>> stormed your company's bastions?

>That's not exactly my point. I know I could do that, but when one is
>dealing with government oversight, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense,
>does it?

The last sentence wasn't as facetious as it might have seemed on
first glance; and you may have broken the code. Yes, I have
worked for and am working for government contractors - small
ones. And yes, I have heard of the Government - DoD in my case -
auditing *their own* computers to verify that they only contain
valid software covered by license. I have heard /rumors/ of
other contractors similarly being audited; but have no personal
experience of it and have no friends/acquaintances in the beltway
bandit world that have experienced it at their company either.
Which is not to say that it hasn't been done. Just that I don't
know that it has.

As I said in the beginning, the companies I have worked for would
have treated that Acrobat in accordance with the terms of the
Office XP it came bundled with, absent any EULA on the Acrobat.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast]
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 11:33:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 16:19:10 GMT, Brian <bsullivanremovedSPAM@jr.com> wrote:
> Our company has about 25 Optiplexes that have the Office XP / Acrobat
> Bundle. I know that the copy of Office on each machine is an OEM version,
> but I cannot find anywhere (packaging, EULA) that states the copy of Acrobat
> is OEM. Anyone have any prior experience with this?????

Is that the full Acrobat program that can create and edit PDF files, or
just the reader (which can be freely downloaded from Adobe)?

I did notice something in the printers of a couple of our machines with
Office XP Pro that appeared to be able to print to PDF file. But the
Acrobat reader on those boxes did not properly display current Acrobat
files, so I updated the reader and may have lost that capability to create
pdf files.

My 8300 has Office 2003 Small Business, so I do not recall if it even had
Acrobat reader (I downloaded or at least updated it). But I found another
program to print to PDF from http://www.pdf995.com/

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com/
April 5, 2004 10:19:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It's the full version that is bundled with Office XP Professional. Ordered
on the Small Business side, not sure if it applies on the Home side though.

Brian


"David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
news:slrnc722ti.2j4.efflandt@typhoon.xnet.com...
> On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 16:19:10 GMT, Brian <bsullivanremovedSPAM@jr.com>
wrote:
> > Our company has about 25 Optiplexes that have the Office XP / Acrobat
> > Bundle. I know that the copy of Office on each machine is an OEM
version,
> > but I cannot find anywhere (packaging, EULA) that states the copy of
Acrobat
> > is OEM. Anyone have any prior experience with this?????
>
> Is that the full Acrobat program that can create and edit PDF files, or
> just the reader (which can be freely downloaded from Adobe)?
>
> I did notice something in the printers of a couple of our machines with
> Office XP Pro that appeared to be able to print to PDF file. But the
> Acrobat reader on those boxes did not properly display current Acrobat
> files, so I updated the reader and may have lost that capability to create
> pdf files.
>
> My 8300 has Office 2003 Small Business, so I do not recall if it even had
> Acrobat reader (I downloaded or at least updated it). But I found another
> program to print to PDF from http://www.pdf995.com/
>
> --
> David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com/
!