Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Connect to Airport network with Palm T3 WiFi card?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 8:46:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I am the proud owner of a brand new WiFi card for my Palm T3.

I'd be even prouder if the friggin' thing would work. It can "see" my
nighbours networks through the walls, but not my Airport network two feet
away on the desk. any ideas why this would be - is there some nasty quirk
about Airport (I am using an iMac with Airport card as a "soft" base
station) that would prevent it working?

My set-up: iMac with Airport card connected to cable modem. This works
fine to serve as a soft base station for my iBook. For the purpose of this
trial I have disabled WEP and manually set the iMac to use channel 1.

On the T3: in Prefs I select "Edit network", select "My iMac's network",
select "Peer-to-peer" , Channel 1 , IP Address Automatic", short preamble
is not checked.

Now, either
1) In WiFi Setup I select "My iMac's network". It says "you can
now connect to the internet" but when I launch Webpro it tries to use
some other network (the last one I used at a "hotspot")
or
2) In Prefs->Network I select Connect and again it starts
to try to connect to some other network

If anyone has any clues about what I'm doing wrong I'd love to hear from
you!!

J;

--
Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG
October 10, 2004 8:42:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Its likely going through the networks that you have accessed before in
reverse order. That's how the TH55 works anyway. You should be able to
change the order based on your preferences. i.e. set your Airport to the
first one in the list.

--
tim@palmzone.net
http://www.palmzone.net
Check out the new fully interactive, community-based PalmZone.net!

"Jeremy Henderson" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.10.09.14.46.54.10619@privacy.net...
>I am the proud owner of a brand new WiFi card for my Palm T3.
>
> I'd be even prouder if the friggin' thing would work. It can "see" my
> nighbours networks through the walls, but not my Airport network two feet
> away on the desk. any ideas why this would be - is there some nasty quirk
> about Airport (I am using an iMac with Airport card as a "soft" base
> station) that would prevent it working?
>
> My set-up: iMac with Airport card connected to cable modem. This works
> fine to serve as a soft base station for my iBook. For the purpose of this
> trial I have disabled WEP and manually set the iMac to use channel 1.
>
> On the T3: in Prefs I select "Edit network", select "My iMac's network",
> select "Peer-to-peer" , Channel 1 , IP Address Automatic", short preamble
> is not checked.
>
> Now, either
> 1) In WiFi Setup I select "My iMac's network". It says "you can
> now connect to the internet" but when I launch Webpro it tries to use
> some other network (the last one I used at a "hotspot")
> or
> 2) In Prefs->Network I select Connect and again it starts
> to try to connect to some other network
>
> If anyone has any clues about what I'm doing wrong I'd love to hear from
> you!!
>
> J;
>
> --
> Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
> http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG
>
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 7:39:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 05:42:53 +0000, Tim@PalmZone.net wrote:

> Its likely going through the networks that you have accessed before in
> reverse order. That's how the TH55 works anyway. You should be able to
> change the order based on your preferences. i.e. set your Airport to the
> first one in the list.

Yeah, it goes through the list, but it never even TRIES mine ;-(

--
Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG
Related resources
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 7:06:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 9-Oct-2004, Jeremy Henderson <me@privacy.net> Flushed this thought from his
brain to the screen::

> On the T3: in Prefs I select "Edit network", select "My iMac's network",
> select "Peer-to-peer" , Channel 1 , IP Address Automatic", short preamble
> is not checked.

Why not use infrastructure mode? I assume the Airport works similarly to other
wireless routers? With all the hassles I went through to get my card to
HotSync via WiFi, the only way it works correctly is in that mode, not
peer-peer. (Though to be fair, I'm not using a T3; a Z72 instead.)

WyreNut

--
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist! -- Indira Ghandi
October 13, 2004 5:03:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Ahh. Good catch... I missed the "peer to peer" connection type in the
original post. I think it only automatically tries to go through the list of
infrastructure connections. You are trying to connect to an Airport router,
not directly to a Wi-Fi-equipped Mac, right?

--
tim@palmzone.net
http://www.palmzone.net
Check out the new fully interactive, community-based PalmZone.net!

"WyreNut" <Me@home.biz> wrote in message
news:LMmad.104199$He1.85656@attbi_s01...
>
> On 9-Oct-2004, Jeremy Henderson <me@privacy.net> Flushed this thought
> from his
> brain to the screen::
>
>> On the T3: in Prefs I select "Edit network", select "My iMac's network",
>> select "Peer-to-peer" , Channel 1 , IP Address Automatic", short preamble
>> is not checked.
>
> Why not use infrastructure mode? I assume the Airport works similarly to
> other
> wireless routers? With all the hassles I went through to get my card to
> HotSync via WiFi, the only way it works correctly is in that mode, not
> peer-peer. (Though to be fair, I'm not using a T3; a Z72 instead.)
>
> WyreNut
>
> --
> You can't shake hands with a clenched fist! -- Indira Ghandi
!