MN-710 freezes after two hours in the internet

Last response: in Networking
Share
July 28, 2004 1:44:09 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with my MN-710, after some time (about
two to three hours) it first stops to react to any call
from the management tool (the first two hours it works
well and I can always login) and then after a few
additional minutes it also stops routing completely. No
wireless, no internet, no LAN. I can still ping to it,
but I do not get the login page in my browser anymore so
I cannot even check the internal log file.

If I disconnect power and reconnect it again, everything
works just fine as if nothing happened before.

I configured it recently as a DHCP server with a
connected external ADSL modem, when I first used it
without DHCP and without the modem it worked for several
days without any problem at all.

Do you think it is broken? Can you help?

Best regards, Alex
July 28, 2004 2:05:12 PM

Stupid me! I had the wrong device number, in fact I was
talking about the MN-700 (not MN-710), also I just
updated the firmware and I think MS fixed alot of stuff
for the DHCP server, so probably the problem is history
already...

Best regards, Alex

July 28, 2004 6:40:59 PM

Disabling the DHCP server used to be a major no no with earlier versions
of the firmware.

Alex wrote:
> Stupid me! I had the wrong device number, in fact I was
> talking about the MN-700 (not MN-710), also I just
> updated the firmware and I think MS fixed alot of stuff
> for the DHCP server, so probably the problem is history
> already...
>
> Best regards, Alex

Related resources
July 28, 2004 8:56:24 PM

I almost forgot the current firmware version for the MN-700 is 2.1.2.590.

joker wrote:

> Disabling the DHCP server used to be a major no no with earlier versions
> of the firmware.
>
> Alex wrote:
>
>> Stupid me! I had the wrong device number, in fact I was talking about
>> the MN-700 (not MN-710), also I just updated the firmware and I think
>> MS fixed alot of stuff for the DHCP server, so probably the problem is
>> history already...
>>
>> Best regards, Alex

July 29, 2004 3:54:11 AM

Hi Joker, thanks for the response, well, I have version
2.1.2.590 for boot- and for runtime firmware, also I got
2.2.0.731 for the application, but I still do have the
problem! At least it is much better: this time it took
about 10 hours and then the DHCP stopped working (same
behaviour, no login possible).

Strange is, that the boot log tells me that the version
is 02.00.08.0333, but the look of the management tool UI
definitely changed after the update. Maybe it is just
another version that is meant here.

Any idea what else could be wrong? Do you use it as a
DHCP server yourself?

Best regards, Alex

July 29, 2004 9:42:13 AM

I use the MN-500 which doesn't have any problems if I disable the DHCP
server.

So is the issue that you can't even connect to the MN-700 after several
hours then?

Alex wrote:
> Hi Joker, thanks for the response, well, I have version
> 2.1.2.590 for boot- and for runtime firmware, also I got
> 2.2.0.731 for the application, but I still do have the
> problem! At least it is much better: this time it took
> about 10 hours and then the DHCP stopped working (same
> behaviour, no login possible).
>
> Strange is, that the boot log tells me that the version
> is 02.00.08.0333, but the look of the management tool UI
> definitely changed after the update. Maybe it is just
> another version that is meant here.
>
> Any idea what else could be wrong? Do you use it as a
> DHCP server yourself?
>
> Best regards, Alex

July 29, 2004 12:12:39 PM

Yes, exactly. And it just happened again, this time it
worked for 5 hours, then: same problem. No login
possible, no internet connection, no wireless.

I really would like to throw it out of the window, maybe
I disable the DHCP as well, then it will work I guess!

By the way, this time the version reported during boot
sequence was the new version, strange, it seems that it
did not log the boot sequence from this morning. I guess
there is more than one software bug on this device!

Hopefully Microsoft already works on a fix for that...

Thanks and best regards, Alex

Anonymous
July 30, 2004 12:31:29 AM

I was having a similar problem, I had the DHCP server on,
and the connection would go away after a few hours or
overnight. Well, now I put static IP's on each comp. and
its working pretty good... so im guessing its the
router's DHCP server?
July 30, 2004 2:17:01 PM

Yes, same problem...I mean I wouldn't sell such a device
if I hadn't tested it at least overnight, right? Boah, I
hope they fix that soon...

Best regards, Alex

Anonymous
July 30, 2004 3:17:02 PM

While it wouldn't help you, I could tell you that I have had an MN-700 in my
house running for weeks without a problem as have many other people.

What might help is for you to push the Restore to factory defaults button
and then set up the MN-700 again. It is possible that some configuration
setting is not quite right and restoring to factory defaults should fix
that.

Based on the information in your Log File, it sounds like something unusual
happened during the update. The information printed in the log file when it
boots indicates what version is running and should match what is shown on
the home page of the management tool.

Please let me know if this fixes the problem or not.

--
Neel Malik
Program Manager

"Alex" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, same problem...I mean I wouldn't sell such a device
> if I hadn't tested it at least overnight, right? Boah, I
> hope they fix that soon...
>
> Best regards, Alex

August 7, 2004 4:17:39 AM

Hi Neel,

actually I did this several times already. The version
number is fine now. But I still have the same problem.

What you describe sounds good, so there is still hope to
get working!

What could cause such a device to hang completely? I
mean, even if there is an error it should not stop
working completely in no case, wouldn't you agree?

Did you run it as a DHCP server in your house?

Best regards, Alex

confers no rights.

!