Acronis True Image or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?

I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and system
restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis True Image
or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
Any useful comments would be welcome.
Foxhole
28 answers Last reply
More about acronis true image symantec norton ghost

    I prefer Acronis, but I haven't used Ghost for many, many years. I've heard
    of recent improvements in Ghost tho'

    "Foxhole" wrote:

    > I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and system
    > restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
    > newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
    > I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis True Image
    > or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
    > Any useful comments would be welcome.
    > Foxhole

    Ghost was unusable with my system. Received a refund from Norton. Purchased
    Acronis and have been very happy with the software. No problems with USB hard
    drive or local network use. Easy to use-no manual necessary.

    I use Norton Ghost. I do not have Norton installed on my PC though - I just
    use the boot Ghost floppy I made on another machine to boot up the PC - then
    create the image file on either optical media or on a secondary drive.

    I find it extremely easy to use and very fast. It can do my system drive
    back up in under 10 minutes - with a hard drive write.

    The floppy utility can do a restore too. The one time I had to do a restore,
    it took just over eight minutes. My system is around 6 GB in size
    uncompressed. All my documents and work files are on dedicated secondary
    drives.

    Janus

    Foxhole wrote:
    > I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and system
    > restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
    > newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
    > I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis True Image
    > or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
    > Any useful comments would be welcome.
    > Foxhole

    I have used Acronis, Ghost 2003, Ghost 9, but they all had issues with
    my RAID 0 setup. I discovered Paragon Drive Backup 7.0 and I have had
    no problems since.

    shaka

    My vote is for Ghost 9.0 and the subsequent updates to the same.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and system
    > restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
    > newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
    > I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis True
    > Image
    > or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
    > Any useful comments would be welcome.
    > Foxhole

    "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and system
    > restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
    > newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
    > I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis True
    > Image
    > or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
    > Any useful comments would be welcome.
    > Foxhole

    I pretty much don't like anything Norton since Symantec bought it out.
    Pity. Norton Utilities was a great program. I was a beta tester (one of
    thousands, I'm sure) for V3.2 (I think).

    I use True Image V8.0 (forgot which build) and couldn't be happier. I make
    a clone once a month to a removable hard drive. I also make a full disk
    image once a month to a drive in a USB enclosure (with weekly incremental
    images). I've used the clone drive a couple of times when my main drive got
    spyware laden. I've never tried to restore the image.
    --
    Bearman
    If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.

    This was my exact experience.

    "Earl" <address@nowhere> wrote in message
    > Ghost was unusable with my system. Received a refund from Norton.
    > Purchased
    > Acronis and have been very happy with the software. No problems with USB
    > hard
    > drive or local network use. Easy to use-no manual necessary.

    "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and system
    > restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
    > newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
    > I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis True
    Image
    > or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
    > Any useful comments would be welcome.
    > Foxhole

    Without a doubt it is Acronis True Image. It is easy to understand and easy
    to use
    Blair

    The Perfect Backup Approach by Gene Barlow: He used to sell PQ's Drive Image
    products until Symantec bought it out and incorporated it into Norton Ghost 9.
    Now he extolls the virtues of Acronis.

    http://www.rcsi.org/Newsletter/2004/Oct04Monitor.pdf

    Other newsletters from the same organization:

    http://www.rcsi.org/newsletr.htm

    "Cymbal Man Freq." wrote:
    > The Perfect Backup Approach by Gene Barlow: He used
    > to sell PQ's Drive Image products until Symantec bought
    > it out and incorporated it into Norton Ghost 9.
    > Now he extolls the virtues of Acronis.
    >
    > http://www.rcsi.org/Newsletter/2004/Oct04Monitor.pdf
    >

    > Other newsletters from the same organization:
    >
    > http://www.rcsi.org/newsletr.htm

    I use Casper XP for cloning my entire system partition.
    to another HD - either a "secondary" internal HD or a HD on a
    removable tray. If you have to switch systems, all you have to
    do is reboot, reset the BIOS's HD boot order so that it sends
    control to the secondary HD, then let it start up the clone system.
    Casper XP is downloadable in free trial form from FSS Dev's
    website at http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/ . I put
    archive versions of my primary system onto a large capacity HD
    (which True Image cannot do) which is housed in a removable
    HD tray that is made by Kingwin. I've found that their model
    with the fan in bottom of the removable tray keeps the HD nice
    and cool. It's all aluminum, and you can currently find the rack
    and tray set on the Web going for $24. See Kingwin's website
    for details:
    http://www.kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=25&ID=136

    You can use several trays, each with a different HD, and use them
    with the same rack. I've seen just the tray going for around $14.

    When you make a clone, though, be sure to start up the new clone
    for the 1st time with its "parent" system not visible to it. You can do
    this by unplugging the "parent" HD. If you don't, the clone will
    permanently depend on the presence of its "parent", and it will
    never become an independent "adult" system. After its first bootup,
    the new clone can be booted with the "parent" present, and it will
    see the "parent" as just another partition having an accessible file
    structure.

    *TimDaniels*

    "bearman" wrote:

    > "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and system
    > > restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
    > > newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
    > > I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis True
    > > Image
    > > or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
    > > Any useful comments would be welcome.
    > > Foxhole
    >
    > I pretty much don't like anything Norton since Symantec bought it out.
    > Pity. Norton Utilities was a great program. I was a beta tester (one of
    > thousands, I'm sure) for V3.2 (I think).
    >
    > I use True Image V8.0 (forgot which build) and couldn't be happier. I make
    > a clone once a month to a removable hard drive. I also make a full disk
    > image once a month to a drive in a USB enclosure (with weekly incremental
    > images). I've used the clone drive a couple of times when my main drive got
    > spyware laden. I've never tried to restore the image.
    > --
    > Bearman
    > If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.

    Thank you everyone for taking your time to offer your comments and
    suggestions.

    Foxhole

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:23:01 -0700, "Foxhole"
    <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and system
    >restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
    >newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
    >I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis True Image
    >or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
    >Any useful comments would be welcome.
    >Foxhole

    Ghost works fine but uses .NET framework which I feel is very
    undesirable and will avoid to the bitter end.

    Acronis is superb software, no problems, simple, does exactly what it
    says on the tin, used if for months and restored several times.

    No problems, no cryptic error messages - just works.

    Jonah

    You may read some different reviews about these products before making
    your choice. For example:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Acronis_True_Image_8_0/4505-3682_7-31256880.html?tag=tab
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Norton_Ghost_9_0/4505-3682_7-31000570-2.html?tag=top
    As for me, I chose Acronis backup utility.

    Both have an Achilles heel, they are different, that most users will never
    see.
    Therefore, its your money, your choice.

    Just bear in mind you need something to save the resulting image to. Cannot
    be the partition XP is installed on, if restoring to same location.

    "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and system
    > restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
    > newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
    > I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis True
    Image
    > or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
    > Any useful comments would be welcome.
    > Foxhole

    I used Norton's Ghost for years, but switched to True Image about a
    year ago.

    I heartily recommend True Image.

    "The Cuddly Curmudgeon" wrote:

    > I used Norton's Ghost for years, but switched to True Image about a
    > year ago.
    >
    > I heartily recommend True Image.

    Again I thank everyone for taking time to post your comments and suggestions.
    Foxhole

    I use TrueImage. An image file of my "C" drive (20 GB used) takes 8 minutes to create and 7 minutes to restore.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff

    "Lil' Dave" wrote:

    > Both have an Achilles heel, they are different, that most users will never
    > see.
    > Therefore, its your money, your choice.
    >
    > Just bear in mind you need something to save the resulting image to. Cannot
    > be the partition XP is installed on, if restoring to same location.

    I will be backing up to external hard drive and dvd as I do now using XP's
    backup utility. Thanks to all.
    Foxhole

    > "The Cuddly Curmudgeon" wrote:
    >
    > > I used Norton's Ghost for years, but switched to True Image about a
    > > year ago.
    > >
    > > I heartily recommend True Image.
    > >

    > Again I thank everyone for taking time to post your comments and
    suggestions.

    We are all interested in your decision?
    Blair

    "Blair" wrote:

    > "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "The Cuddly Curmudgeon" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I used Norton's Ghost for years, but switched to True Image about a
    > > > year ago.
    > > >
    > > > I heartily recommend True Image.
    > > >

    > > Again I thank everyone for taking time to post your comments and
    > suggestions.
    > >

    > We are all interested in your decision?
    > Blair

    Acronis True Image as more people supported that but if I don't like it then
    I will try Ghost. I have purchased a lot of software that I didn't like after
    installed so I try to ask people what they use and why.
    Thanks for responding.
    Foxhole
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Foxhole wrote:

    > Acronis True Image as more people supported that but if
    > I don't like it then I will try Ghost.

    You will NOT be disappointed.

    I GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR-OWN-TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

    I own Ghost, and that shareware program (Image for DOS/Windows) that is
    always being touted here by the MVPs, but True Image is my GO-to
    cloner/imager.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "The Cuddly Curmudgeon" wrote:

    > Foxhole wrote:
    >
    > > Acronis True Image as more people supported that but if
    > > I don't like it then I will try Ghost.
    >
    > You will NOT be disappointed.
    >
    > I GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR-OWN-TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    >
    > I own Ghost, and that shareware program (Image for DOS/Windows) that is
    > always being touted here by the MVPs, but True Image is my GO-to
    > cloner/imager.

    Thanks again I appreciate the info.
    Foxhole
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    True Image is easy to use and to restore a hard drive.
    Even though symantec bought drive image from power quest, it doesn't seem to
    be as easy as drive image was when it was owned by powerquest.

    --
    Indera
    * * * * * * * * * *

    "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    : I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and system
    : restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
    : newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
    : I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis True
    Image
    : or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
    : Any useful comments would be welcome.
    : Foxhole
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Dr. Indera" wrote:

    > True Image is easy to use and to restore a hard drive.
    > Even though symantec bought drive image from power quest, it doesn't seem to
    > be as easy as drive image was when it was owned by powerquest.
    >
    > --
    > Indera
    > * * * * * * * * * *
    > Don't just live life.
    > Live life well.

    Thank you for the input I am going to buy True Image this week-end and give
    it a try.
    Foxhole

    > "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > : I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and system
    > : restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
    > : newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
    > : I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis True
    > Image
    > : or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
    > : Any useful comments would be welcome.
    > : Foxhole

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    You can download a full working copy to try out from www.acronis.com if you
    want to test it out!

    Rich

    > "Dr. Indera" wrote:
    >
    >> True Image is easy to use and to restore a hard drive.
    >> Even though symantec bought drive image from power quest, it doesn't seem
    >> be as easy as drive image was when it was owned by powerquest.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Indera
    >> * * * * * * * * * *
    >> Don't just live life.
    >> Live life well.
    >
    > Thank you for the input I am going to buy True Image this week-end and
    > give
    > it a try.
    > Foxhole
    >

    >> "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> : I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and
    >> system
    >> : restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
    >> : newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
    >> : I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis True
    >> Image
    >> : or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
    >> : Any useful comments would be welcome.
    >> : Foxhole

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Rich" wrote:

    > You can download a full working copy to try out from www.acronis.com if you
    > want to test it out!
    >
    > Rich

    Thanks for the info.
    Foxhole

    > "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Dr. Indera" wrote:
    > >
    > >> True Image is easy to use and to restore a hard drive.
    > >> Even though symantec bought drive image from power quest, it doesn't seem
    > >> be as easy as drive image was when it was owned by powerquest.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Indera
    > >> * * * * * * * * * *
    > >> Don't just live life.
    > >> Live life well.
    > >
    > > Thank you for the input I am going to buy True Image this week-end and
    > > give
    > > it a try.
    > > Foxhole
    > >

    > >> "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> : I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and
    > >> system
    > >> : restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
    > >> : newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
    > >> : I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis True
    > >> Image
    > >> : or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
    > >> : Any useful comments would be welcome.
    > >> : Foxhole

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    If you decide you like it, you can download it from newegg for
    somewhat less than the Acronis full price -- see the link
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681279691SF

    mikey

    "Rich" <madeyoulook@dot.com> wrote in message
    > You can download a full working copy to try out from www.acronis.com if
    you
    > want to test it out!
    >
    > Rich
    >

    > "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Dr. Indera" wrote:
    > >
    > >> True Image is easy to use and to restore a hard drive.
    > >> Even though symantec bought drive image from power quest, it doesn't
    seem
    > >> be as easy as drive image was when it was owned by powerquest.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Indera
    > >> * * * * * * * * * *
    > >> Don't just live life.
    > >> Live life well.
    > >
    > > Thank you for the input I am going to buy True Image this week-end and
    > > give
    > > it a try.
    > > Foxhole
    > >

    > >> "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> : I have XP Home on my computer and am useing XP's backup program and
    > >> system
    > >> : restore to keep out of trouble but after reading alot of post on this
    > >> : newsgroup I have decided I need a better way to back up my OS.
    > >> : I would like to know which is the best and easiest to use Acronis
    True
    > >> Image
    > >> : or Symantec's Norton Ghost ?
    > >> : Any useful comments would be welcome.
    > >> : Foxhole

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Mike Fields" wrote:

    > If you decide you like it, you can download it from newegg for
    > somewhat less than the Acronis full price -- see the link
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681279691SF
    >
    > mikey

    Thanks I'll check that out.
    Foxhole

    > "Rich" <madeyoulook@dot.com> wrote in message
    > > You can download a full working copy to try out from www.acronis.com if
    > you
    > > want to test it out!
    > >
    > > Rich
    > >

    > > "Foxhole" <Foxhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > seem

    > > > Thank you for the input I am going to buy True Image this week-end and
    > > > give
    > > > it a try.
    > > > Foxhole

    > True