(40k) Advice on weaponry vs. shooty armies

So, after getting whacked again by Tau (Grrr..), Im seriously thinking about
investing in a Whirlwind or Vindicator for my UM army. Trying to get into
hth range with these bozos is a real pain, and Id like an "equalizer" of
sorts, something to quickly reduce the number of troops pointing their
rifles at me. Any thoughts or advice?

drgrbek

Ryan Elkins wrote:

> So, after getting whacked again by Tau (Grrr..), Im seriously thinking about
> investing in a Whirlwind or Vindicator for my UM army. Trying to get into
> hth range with these bozos is a real pain, and Id like an "equalizer" of
> sorts, something to quickly reduce the number of troops pointing their
> rifles at me. Any thoughts or advice?
>
> drgrbek

Definately Whirlwind. The last time I fought Tau, that baby practically
won the game single handed. First turn, targeted a Kroot squad, killed 7
out of 12(?, anyway more than half), they failed their morale check, ran
off, and couldn't rally. It did sterling duty against fire warrior and
pathfinder squads too.

Most players have no idea of proper dispersal and just pile their troops
in higgledy-piggledy. It's no trouble at all to get a whirlwind hit that
targets half to three-quarters of most squads. Against one tyranid
player I would routinely kill 8 or 9 out of his 12 man genestealer
squads. Of course I mistakenly thought that genestealers were fearless,
regardless if they are in synapse range or not, and wasn't making him
take morale checks.

Against anything except Marines/Chaos Marines (Or Ulthwe Spirit Hosts),
it's no trouble at all to basically kill half a squad per turn.

Ryan Elkins wrote:
> So, after getting whacked again by Tau (Grrr..), Im seriously thinking about
> investing in a Whirlwind or Vindicator for my UM army. Trying to get into
> hth range with these bozos is a real pain, and Id like an "equalizer" of
> sorts, something to quickly reduce the number of troops pointing their
> rifles at me. Any thoughts or advice?
>
> drgrbek

Squats. errr...

Deep Striking troops? 2 deep striking AssCans are lovely. the 3 storm
bolters that go with it aren't shabby either.

IIRC Vindicator is very short range.

Cheap heavy bolter speeders squads?

Mount 4 ML in a Razor w/HB.

Yes? No?

-Joe

"Desert Joe" <jboster@ridgnet.barf> wrote in message
> Ryan Elkins wrote:
>> So, after getting whacked again by Tau (Grrr..), Im seriously thinking
>> about investing in a Whirlwind or Vindicator for my UM army. Trying to
>> get into hth range with these bozos is a real pain, and Id like an
>> "equalizer" of sorts, something to quickly reduce the number of troops
>> pointing their rifles at me. Any thoughts or advice?
>>
>> drgrbek
> Squats. errr...
>
> Deep Striking troops? 2 deep striking AssCans are lovely. the 3 storm
> bolters that go with it aren't shabby either.
Yes, my opponent practicaly hid under the table when I brought my Termies in
from reserve.
Never got into hth range, thanks to those frickin' plasma cannons on his
crisis suits.

> IIRC Vindicator is very short range.
Hrm, I coulda swore it was 72". Or maybe I need to quit huffing Ultramarine
Blue.

> Cheap heavy bolter speeders squads?
I was toying with this idea, since a spdr sqd is max 3, w/ a force selection
slot max of 3 F.A., that means I could have 9 of those puppies on the board
at one time. 9 Ass. cannons, plus 9 Hvy bolters...Hmmm, me like!

> Mount 4 ML in a Razor w/HB.
Me dumb. ML?

> Yes? No?
Maybe ;) Thanks for the brain fodder.

"Ryan Elkins" <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote in message

> "Desert Joe" <jboster@ridgnet.barf> wrote in message
>> Ryan Elkins wrote:
>>> So, after getting whacked again by Tau (Grrr..), Im seriously thinking
>>> about investing in a Whirlwind or Vindicator for my UM army. Trying to
>>> get into hth range with these bozos is a real pain, and Id like an
>>> "equalizer" of sorts, something to quickly reduce the number of troops
>>> pointing their rifles at me. Any thoughts or advice?
>>>
>>> drgrbek
>> Squats. errr...
>>
>> Deep Striking troops? 2 deep striking AssCans are lovely. the 3 storm
>> bolters that go with it aren't shabby either.
> Yes, my opponent practicaly hid under the table when I brought my Termies
> in from reserve.
> Never got into hth range, thanks to those frickin' plasma cannons on his
> crisis suits.
>>
>> IIRC Vindicator is very short range.
> Hrm, I coulda swore it was 72". Or maybe I need to quit huffing
> Ultramarine Blue.

Vindi is 24" range

Ryan Elkins wrote:

>>IIRC Vindicator is very short range.
>
> Hrm, I coulda swore it was 72". Or maybe I need to quit huffing Ultramarine
> Blue.

The Demolisher battle cannon in a Vindicator is 24". A regular Battle
Cannon in a Leman Russ is 72". The Earthshaker in a Basilisk is 120". A
Whirlwind is 48" (see my other post for further benefits of a WW).

Of course I had to look those up, don't have them memorized yet.

In article <dedc6r$6r8$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>, Ryan Elkins wrote:

> "Desert Joe" <jboster@ridgnet.barf> wrote in message

<snip>

>> Mount 4 ML in a Razor w/HB.
> Me dumb. ML?

Missile launcher.

--
Joakim

Brion K. Lienhart wrote:
> Ryan Elkins wrote:
>
>> So, after getting whacked again by Tau (Grrr..), Im seriously thinking
>> about investing in a Whirlwind or Vindicator for my UM army. Trying to
>> get into hth range with these bozos is a real pain, and Id like an
>> "equalizer" of sorts, something to quickly reduce the number of troops
>> pointing their rifles at me. Any thoughts or advice?
>>
>> drgrbek
>

> Definately Whirlwind. The last time I fought Tau, that baby practically
> won the game single handed. First turn, targeted a Kroot squad, killed 7
> out of 12(?, anyway more than half), they failed their morale check, ran
> off, and couldn't rally. It did sterling duty against fire warrior and
> pathfinder squads too.
>
> Most players have no idea of proper dispersal and just pile their troops
> in higgledy-piggledy. It's no trouble at all to get a whirlwind hit that
> targets half to three-quarters of most squads. Against one tyranid
> player I would routinely kill 8 or 9 out of his 12 man genestealer
> squads. Of course I mistakenly thought that genestealers were fearless,
> regardless if they are in synapse range or not, and wasn't making him
> take morale checks.
>
> Against anything except Marines/Chaos Marines (Or Ulthwe Spirit Hosts),
> it's no trouble at all to basically kill half a squad per turn.

Hmm I guess I hsould buy one then. Sooo pricey though...

> Hmm I guess I hsould buy one then. Sooo pricey though...

I think they're $45.00 US? Until the next price gouge..er...increase, that
is.

jockelinde wrote:
> In article <dedc6r$6r8$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>, Ryan Elkins wrote:
>
>>"Desert Joe" <jboster@ridgnet.barf> wrote in message
>

> <snip>
>
>>>Mount 4 ML in a Razor w/HB.
>>
>>Me dumb. ML?
>

> Missile launcher.

EML took me a while to figure out.

> jockelinde wrote:
>> In article <dedc6r$6r8$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>, Ryan Elkins wrote:
>>
>>>"Desert Joe" <jboster@ridgnet.barf> wrote in message
>>

>> <snip>

>>>Me dumb. ML?
>>

>> Missile launcher.
>>

> EML took me a while to figure out.
Im still trying to figure out how I can take 4 ML in a squad.

>So, after getting whacked again by Tau (Grrr..), Im seriously thinking about
>investing in a Whirlwind or Vindicator for my UM army. Trying to get into
>hth range with these bozos is a real pain, and Id like an "equalizer" of
>sorts, something to quickly reduce the number of troops pointing their
>rifles at me. Any thoughts or advice?

Against anything with 4+ saves the Whirlwind is a prime pick, and
outranges everything in the Tau army bar the Hammerhead to boot. Crisis
suits will make short work of it when they deep strike into play,
though, so don't rely on it beyond the first few turns and have assault
troops standing by to attack any Crisis that turn up behind your lines.

Land Speeders are good at getting into range quickly and both the
Tornado and Typhoon pack a punch against light and medium infantry -
but massed pulse rifles will take them out of the sky pretty quickly.

Attack bikes with multimeltas and bikes with melta or plasma should
make swift work of Battlesuits, and they've got the speed to close
quickly.

The Predator Destructor is very well-armed for anti-Tau work, has a
decent range and because the heavy bolters are defensive weapons, can
move up to 6" and keep firing. Weight of S5-7 fire makes it respectable
against Devilfish too.

Infiltrating Scouts give you a range boost as well as being armed with
heavy bolters and bolters. For additional fun you can try a sniper
rifle just in case you get to pin a Battlesuit team, but I wouldn't
rely on it. Tau infantry have relatively poor Ld, making them one of
the few armies readily susceptible to pinning, so it could still be
worth a try against Fire Warriors and Kroot.

Deep Striking Termies is fun, but they're a points sink you don't need
against Tau unless you can get into combat with the suits - and as you
found, don't last long against Battlesuits at range. The assault cannon
looks tempting, but against T3, Sv4+ Tau it's just a short-ranged heavy
bolter with an extra shot - both rending and S6 are irrelevant against
the infantry and you'll be lucky to get close enough to bother the
Hammerheads let alone destroy them. You can't rely on getting these
before the Tau get their suits, and so you can't be certain of their
value as anti-Crisis weapons either.

I'm not really sure what your problem would be against Tau - Marines
should be a tough army to beat. The Tau lack weaponry with the
combination of high power, high AP and long range, and most of what
they have is restricted in availability, so if you have a decent number
of Marine infantry they'll have a hard time killing them all. Don't
waste points on superfluous units like Terminators or Land Raiders,
which won't do enough to justify their cost against these targets
(Termies pay a lot for power fists that are pretty much wasted against
T3 Sv4+). Your basic troops are far more capable than theirs, for only
150% of the cost; they've got better range, higher accuracy, greater
access to AP4 and high rate-of-fire weapons than the Tau have to AP3
ones or anything that fires more than one shot at long range. Just in
terms of basic weapons, both sides are equally able to wound the other,
but the Tau are 1/6 less accurate and 1/6 less likely to score a kill,
so they need a third again as many troops as the Marines to hold their
own in a ranged war of attrition. It's hard for the Tau to destroy
transports, but not for them to cause glancing hits and so throw your
troops out, so close with jump pack troops and bikes and ditch the
Rhinos - though one or two of those can reliably distract a couple of
Fire Warrior teams for a turn. Scouts are cheap, can get close and are
a league above Tau in close combat, so use these to give your army bulk
and some extra firepower.

I don't have the Marine Codex to hand and I don't know points values
for most units, but off the top of my head I'd want a selection
somewhere along the following lines:

HQ

Librarian - some ranged Tau-killing power. Minimise points spent on
him; an Iron Halo for protection, perhaps, but he certainly doesn't
need a boost to kill Tau, including Tau characters, up close. No points
wasted on force weapons, though a power weapon is worthwhile.

ELITES

Dreadnought: Twin heavy bolter, missile launcher.

TROOPS

9 Tactical Marines: 2 x plasma gun. Rhino: normal upgrades

9 Tactical Marines: Plasma gun, missile launcher.

10 Scouts: Bolters. Heavy bolter, sniper rifle (can you take both in a
squad?).

10 Scouts: As above.

FAST ATTACK

5 Bikes: 2 x meltagun
Attack Bike: Multimelta

Land Speeder Tornado: Heavy bolter, assault cannon

HEAVY SUPPORT

Predator Destructor: Heavy bolter sponsons

Predator Annihiliator: Lascannon sponsons (for Broadsides)

Whirlwind

No idea what this comes to - somewhere in the 1500-2000pt range would
be my guess. But it gets you a lot of troops and a lot of firepower
that will wound infantry on 2s and suits on 3s.

Philip

In article <dedkd9$dvb$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>,
relkins@u.washington.edu says...

> "Desert Joe" <jboster@ridgnet.barf> wrote in message
> > jockelinde wrote:

> >> <snip>

> >> Missile launcher.
> >>

> > EML took me a while to figure out.
> Im still trying to figure out how I can take 4 ML in a squad.

<Psssst - they're called 'devastators'. ;) Try looking in the marine
codex under heavy support.> Actually it's not a bad idea - with Marine
BS 4 either 4 template weapon shots or 4 S8 crack missile shots against
light vehicles/tau suits can do some damage.

Myrmidon

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

In article <dedka7$dtt$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>,
relkins@u.washington.edu says...

> > Hmm I guess I hsould buy one then. Sooo pricey though...
>
> I think they're $45.00 US? Until the next price gouge..er...increase, that
> is.

With the use of a few rare-earth magnets and some epoxy/resin
putty - one can easily buy a Whirlwind and convert it to do double duty
as a standard rhino in games where you need more transports without the
extra fire support. Players effectively get two vehicle options for the
price of one. (I suppose that means I'll have to finish the article
next week about that which I started ages ago. Figures! I'm trying to
get all the Nid stuff I own plus a friend's prepped, converted with
magnets where needed, and primered in the next few weeks - and it's a
butt load of stuff too.)

Myrmidon

--
And I want someone to slap me with a fish every time I buy something
new, assemble it, and then leave it unpainted for months.

- Jakearon

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

<pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Dreadnought: Twin heavy bolter, missile launcher.
>
> TROOPS
>
> 9 Tactical Marines: 2 x plasma gun. Rhino: normal upgrades
>
> 9 Tactical Marines: Plasma gun, missile launcher.
>
> 10 Scouts: Bolters. Heavy bolter, sniper rifle (can you take both in a
> squad?).
>
> 10 Scouts: As above.
>
> FAST ATTACK
>
> 5 Bikes: 2 x meltagun
> Attack Bike: Multimelta
>
> Land Speeder Tornado: Heavy bolter, assault cannon
>
> HEAVY SUPPORT
>
> Predator Destructor: Heavy bolter sponsons
>
> Predator Annihiliator: Lascannon sponsons (for Broadsides)
>
> Whirlwind
>
> No idea what this comes to - somewhere in the 1500-2000pt range would
> be my guess. But it gets you a lot of troops and a lot of firepower
> that will wound infantry on 2s and suits on 3s.

Wow! Thanks to everyone for your advice and insight! Phil, you gave me
things to think about in regards to building a fast, hvy shooty UM army.
Next time I see those goofy grey turds, watch out!:)

drgrbek

pbowles@aol.com wrote:

> Dreadnought: Twin heavy bolter, missile launcher.

I'd go with assault cannon & missile launcher. You give up a little
range for more shots & higher strength. Also, there's no readily
available TLHB arm for dreads.

> TROOPS
>
> 9 Tactical Marines: 2 x plasma gun. Rhino: normal upgrades

I'm sure that's just a typo as we all know tactical squads can only have
1 special weapon per squad. Unless you use the correct trait.

In article <MPG.1d745111199ec49398a5fd@news-server.woh.rr.com>, Old Box wrote:
> In article <dedkd9$dvb$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>,
> relkins@u.washington.edu says...
>>
>> "Desert Joe" <jboster@ridgnet.barf> wrote in message

>> > EML took me a while to figure out.
>> Im still trying to figure out how I can take 4 ML in a squad.
>
><Psssst - they're called 'devastators'. ;) Try looking in the marine
> codex under heavy support.> Actually it's not a bad idea - with Marine
> BS 4 either 4 template weapon shots or 4 S8 crack missile shots against
> light vehicles/tau suits can do some damage.

I prefer units of six devastators with three heavy weapons, or eight
(which won't fit in the razorback) devastators with four heavy
weapons.

btw Myr, why does your post say it's written by Old Box?

--
Joakim

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

> So, after getting whacked again by Tau (Grrr..), Im seriously thinking
> about investing in a Whirlwind or Vindicator for my UM army. Trying to get
> into hth range with these bozos is a real pain, and Id like an "equalizer"
> of sorts, something to quickly reduce the number of troops pointing their
> rifles at me. Any thoughts or advice?
>
> drgrbek

When I still had time to play *sigh*, I used to take one or two Whirlwinds
in my Crimson Fists army. Even against power armour, two WWs are a
consistant pain in the neck. Cheap and far more likely to survive than a
Devestator squad of the same price - so long as there's terrain to hide
behind. Against Tau, I'd suggest ignoring the 'suits and concentrating on
Fire Warriors and Kroot until the numbers are in your favour. The best part
is that artillery barrages are demoralising in any scale!

cheers,

chris/bass/idoru
'idoru' website: http://www.idoru.com.au

In article <slrndgmbo4.e2u.nouser@crux.id.gu.se>, jockelinde,
nouser@notmydomain.se Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> In article <MPG.1d745111199ec49398a5fd@news-server.woh.rr.com>, Old Box wrote:
> > In article <dedkd9$dvb$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>,
> > relkins@u.washington.edu says...
> >>
> >> "Desert Joe" <jboster@ridgnet.barf> wrote in message

> >> Im still trying to figure out how I can take 4 ML in a squad.
> >
> ><Psssst - they're called 'devastators'. ;) Try looking in the marine
> > codex under heavy support.> Actually it's not a bad idea - with Marine
> > BS 4 either 4 template weapon shots or 4 S8 crack missile shots against
> > light vehicles/tau suits can do some damage.
>
> I prefer units of six devastators with three heavy weapons, or eight
> (which won't fit in the razorback) devastators with four heavy
> weapons.

You can fit what, 5 or is it 6 in a razor back? At any rate, it'd
give him a mobile squad with some punch to it, but it would mean that he
didn't have any expendable 'ablative' marines besides the sgt. if he
took any casualties.

> btw Myr, why does your post say it's written by Old Box?

LOL! It says 'Old Box' because that's the network name I gave my
older PC in the basement in my gaming area. I didn't realize that it
had put that name in as the sender when I reinstalled my news reader
software on it so I could work on minis and still take a glance at the
news group once in a while. Should I just leave it, or change it to
something like 'Myr's basement lair'?

Myr :)

--

"Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message
> In article <slrndgmbo4.e2u.nouser@crux.id.gu.se>, jockelinde,
> nouser@notmydomain.se Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
>> In article <MPG.1d745111199ec49398a5fd@news-server.woh.rr.com>, Old Box
>> wrote:

>> I prefer units of six devastators with three heavy weapons, or eight
>> (which won't fit in the razorback) devastators with four heavy
>> weapons.
>
> You can fit what, 5 or is it 6 in a razor back? At any rate, it'd
> give him a mobile squad with some punch to it, but it would mean that he
> didn't have any expendable 'ablative' marines besides the sgt. if he
> took any casualties.

6 in a Razorback. I think that vs. Tau, a 6-man, 3 ML squad in a HB Razor or
Drop-pod is an ideal mobile firebase.

Old Box wrote:
<snip>

> - and it's a
> butt load of stuff too.)
>
> Myrmidon

But don't the claws and spiky bits hurt?

In article <AZednconq9AyyJbeRVn-sw@comcast.com>, Brion K. Lienhart wrote:
> pbowles@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Dreadnought: Twin heavy bolter, missile launcher.
>
> I'd go with assault cannon & missile launcher. You give up a little
> range for more shots & higher strength. Also, there's no readily
> available TLHB arm for dreads.

SM dreads no longer have the TLHB option.

--
Joakim

In article <1124784676.077203.254110@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, pbowles@aol.com wrote:

> HQ
>
> Librarian - some ranged Tau-killing power.

Fury of the ancients. Infinite range and causes pinning tests on all
units it hits.

> Minimise points spent on
> him; an Iron Halo for protection, perhaps, but he certainly doesn't
> need a boost to kill Tau, including Tau characters, up close. No points
> wasted on force weapons, though a power weapon is worthwhile.

Nowdays Librarians come with the force weapon (and psychic hood) built
in, so the force weapon can't be avoided.

--
Joakim

"jockelinde" <nouser@notmydomain.se> wrote in message
> In article <1124784676.077203.254110@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> pbowles@aol.com wrote:
>
>> HQ
>>
>> Librarian - some ranged Tau-killing power.
>
> Fury of the ancients. Infinite range and causes pinning tests on all
> units it hits.

Fear of the Darkness is much more of a pain to face, as a Tau player.
Especially Tigiurius' super-long range version of it.

Brion K. Lienhart wrote:
> pbowles@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Dreadnought: Twin heavy bolter, missile launcher.
>
> I'd go with assault cannon & missile launcher. You give up a little
> range for more shots & higher strength. Also, there's no readily
> available TLHB arm for dreads.

Good point - I'd forgotten the Sreadnought could take an assault cannon
for some reason. Only problem lies in getting into range, but since Tau
small arms can't harm it the Dread should have time to close.

> > TROOPS
> >
> > 9 Tactical Marines: 2 x plasma gun. Rhino: normal upgrades
>
> I'm sure that's just a typo as we all know tactical squads can only have
> 1 special weapon per squad. Unless you use the correct trait.

Well, I was rather taking that for granted - the army doesn't need to
use any other traits particularly and it's a better fit for a
transported squad than a heavy weapon.