Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My activation key is invalid after reinstallation

Last response: in Windows 7
October 7, 2012 9:31:02 AM

So i got a new motherboard and cpu, same hdd. I did a clean reintallation of windows 7 home premium. I went to activate the key after connecting to the net and it says it's invalid. It gives me the choice to either retype it or buy a new one. So i retyped it, same thing. *arms thrown up in the air* why?
a c 132 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2012 9:35:54 AM

Is the copy of 7 OEM or retail?
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2012 9:36:14 AM

your activation is tied to your motherboard sorry, but you will need a new one.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

October 7, 2012 9:38:25 AM

You should get an option to do a phone activation, do it that way. You talk to a machine, follow the prompts and you get it activated. I had to do the exact same thing with my OEM copy of windows 7.
October 7, 2012 9:39:52 AM

Anonymous said:
your activation is tied to your motherboard sorry, but you will need a new one.

That's only if it's an OEM copy of Windows (it probably is and thus you're probably right, but let's let OP answer first).

Calling MS can sometimes solve this. For example, OP can say that OP's mobo failed and OP had to replace it.
m
l
October 7, 2012 10:03:21 AM

Best answer selected by l0ngev1ty.
m
l
October 7, 2012 10:05:52 AM

The robot on the phone was very helpful. Fed him a bunch of numbers and he fed me a bunch of numbers and it did the trick. Lucuis, ur the bomb.com and thanks everyone else for the input. You are my heroes
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2012 9:22:41 PM

l0ngev1ty said:
The robot on the phone was very helpful. Fed him a bunch of numbers and he fed me a bunch of numbers and it did the trick. Lucuis, ur the bomb.com and thanks everyone else for the input. You are my heroes

NICE!

glad it was that easy. i have never bothered with it since i get what i need through work . .maybe i can save them a few bucks now. :) 
m
l
!