[paint] [model][ Hobby Progress

Another month, and I've finally addressed my Keepers:

http://public.fotki.com/JHwang/WiP

The Nephilim are still work in progress, but I'm pretty happy. I've
finally addressed the heads *and* solved the "Giants of Albion" problem
for my Dogs of War army. These will be completed for next month.

I also retouched and/or painted all 34 of my Eldar Rangers /
Pathfinders, along with my Alaitoc Farseer. I cleaned and tightened the
camo patterns, added extra distinguishing details to the Pathfinders,
retouched weapons for more of a camo look. It's good to have more stuff
"completed".

I also figure to finish a 2nd Paymistress and my DoW Cannons, which
would be very good work. The Paymistress will finally get the requisite
Shield for Sv3+ to help stay alive.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
More about paint model hobby progress

    John Hwang wrote:
    > Another month, and I've finally addressed my Keepers:
    >
    > http://public.fotki.com/JHwang/WiP
    >
    > The Nephilim are still work in progress, but I'm pretty happy. I've
    > finally addressed the heads *and* solved the "Giants of Albion" problem
    > for my Dogs of War army. These will be completed for next month.
    >
    > I also retouched and/or painted all 34 of my Eldar Rangers /
    > Pathfinders, along with my Alaitoc Farseer. I cleaned and tightened the
    > camo patterns, added extra distinguishing details to the Pathfinders,
    > retouched weapons for more of a camo look. It's good to have more stuff
    > "completed".
    >
    > I also figure to finish a 2nd Paymistress and my DoW Cannons, which
    > would be very good work. The Paymistress will finally get the requisite
    > Shield for Sv3+ to help stay alive.

    I ordered a command sprue to go with my extra marines. Hmm. I just
    realized that for $3 more I could have gotten the whole set at my local
    store. Gahh! $8 shipping. Idiot.

    I glued together 2 combat servitors and got my replacement servo arm for
    my techmarine (he will be the HQ.

    I played a lot of Forza Motorsport on the X-Box.
    I have looked at the run away from cleaning off the painting table in
    the garage after an aborted attempt to move.

    Paint? You got to be kidding...

    -Joe
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Desert Joe wrote:
    > I ordered a command sprue to go with my extra marines. Hmm. I just
    > realized that for $3 more I could have gotten the whole set at my local
    > store. Gahh! $8 shipping. Idiot.

    For bitz, go to a GW store for no shipping, no tax. Otherwise, don't
    bother, just buy more minis. GW has been pretty good about bumping bitz
    prices to more than equal the box / blister cost.

    > I glued together 2 combat servitors and got my replacement servo arm
    > for my techmarine (he will be the HQ.

    Cool.

    > I played a lot of Forza Motorsport on the X-Box.

    Heh.

    > I have looked at the run away from cleaning off the painting
    > table in the garage after an aborted attempt to move.

    Huh? I don't know what you're talking about here.

    > Paint? You got to be kidding...

    It's OK. I've gone ages without doing any hobby work on my minis. I
    think 2005 has been a pretty good year for me, producton-wise, mostly
    because I've finally started to clear a few items off the stack. Still,
    plenty to go...

    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <P5UOe.18812$xp.6428@trnddc02>, John Hwang wrote:
    > Another month, and I've finally addressed my Keepers:
    >
    > http://public.fotki.com/JHwang/WiP
    >
    > The Nephilim are still work in progress, but I'm pretty happy. I've
    > finally addressed the heads *and* solved the "Giants of Albion" problem
    > for my Dogs of War army. These will be completed for next month.
    >
    > I also retouched and/or painted all 34 of my Eldar Rangers /
    > Pathfinders, along with my Alaitoc Farseer. I cleaned and tightened the
    > camo patterns, added extra distinguishing details to the Pathfinders,
    > retouched weapons for more of a camo look. It's good to have more stuff
    > "completed".
    >
    > I also figure to finish a 2nd Paymistress and my DoW Cannons, which
    > would be very good work. The Paymistress will finally get the requisite
    > Shield for Sv3+ to help stay alive.

    I've finished painting my first Salamander Marine:

    http://crux.id.gu.se/LirBilder/jockelinde/salamander.JPG

    His nine squad mates are almost done, with only details and insignia
    left to do. While painting them I've realised that at the moment I
    don't have enough patience for painting and should now spend time
    assembling and converting instead.

    The power fist conversion I posted here a while ago has been recut
    closer to the elbow and now looks better.

    The assembly of the Orc & Goblin border patrol progresses slowly with
    only 20 Gobbo legs glued to bases so far.

    --
    Joakim
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    jockelinde wrote:
    > John Hwang wrote:
    >
    >>Another month, and I've finally addressed my Keepers:
    >>
    >>http://public.fotki.com/JHwang/WiP
    >>
    >>The Nephilim are still work in progress,

    > I've finished painting my first Salamander Marine:
    >
    > http://crux.id.gu.se/LirBilder/jockelinde/salamander.JPG

    Looks pretty good! The bronze eagle contrasts nicely with the green.
    The eyes are a bit disappointing - I'd try gold. Also, it looks like
    you haven't drilled the Bolter out.

    > While painting them I've realised that at the moment I
    > don't have enough patience for painting and should now spend time
    > assembling and converting instead.

    Assembly line them, and it goes much faster. Basecoat everything green.
    Then do all the bronze. Then all black, then all gold.

    > The assembly of the Orc & Goblin border patrol progresses slowly with
    > only 20 Gobbo legs glued to bases so far.

    So you're the green version of me? ;)

    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <vczPe.16885$_f.10449@trnddc03>, John Hwang wrote:
    > jockelinde wrote:
    >> John Hwang wrote:
    >>
    >>>Another month, and I've finally addressed my Keepers:
    >>>
    >>>http://public.fotki.com/JHwang/WiP

    Are the legs standard Keeper legs with leg extensions or are they from
    something else?

    >> I've finished painting my first Salamander Marine:
    >>
    >> http://crux.id.gu.se/LirBilder/jockelinde/salamander.JPG
    >
    > Looks pretty good! The bronze eagle contrasts nicely with the green.

    Thanks.

    > The eyes are a bit disappointing - I'd try gold.

    The official colour for the eyes is a light green, which isn't much of
    a contrast to the medium green of the armour. On the other I usually
    don't worry too much about official colour schemes and will try out
    gold, yellow and red on the other ones before deciding on a colour.

    > Also, it looks like
    > you haven't drilled the Bolter out.

    Nope.

    >> While painting them I've realised that at the moment I
    >> don't have enough patience for painting and should now spend time
    >> assembling and converting instead.
    >
    > Assembly line them, and it goes much faster.

    That's what I do. I still didn't have enough patience not to cause a
    lot of unnecessary smudges when doing the highlights. I'll just wait a
    while before I return to painting.

    >> The assembly of the Orc & Goblin border patrol progresses slowly with
    >> only 20 Gobbo legs glued to bases so far.
    >
    > So you're the green version of me? ;)

    Maybe.
    Orks : Green
    Tau : Green
    Salamanders: Green
    Orcs & Goblins: Green
    Mordheim Orcs: Green
    Cult of the possessed: Unpainted and undecided, but probably not green
    Shadow warriors: Gray and Black
    High elves: White and blue

    It's not all green, but there is a lot of it.

    --
    Joakim
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    jockelinde wrote:

    > Are the legs standard Keeper legs with leg extensions or are
    > they from something else?

    Standard. After eBaying Keepers (about $20 each, IIRC), I'm not Bitzing
    legs at additional cost. Besides, they wouldn't match in detailing.

    FWIW, I've uploaded more pics showing the GS work over the armatures.
    Hopefully the extensions at least match nicely at a distance.

    >>>I've finished painting my first Salamander Marine:
    >>>
    >>>http://crux.id.gu.se/LirBilder/jockelinde/salamander.JPG
    >>
    >>Looks pretty good! The bronze eagle contrasts nicely with the green.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >>The eyes are a bit disappointing - I'd try gold.
    >
    > The official colour for the eyes is a light green, which isn't much of
    > a contrast to the medium green of the armour. On the other I usually
    > don't worry too much about official colour schemes and will try out
    > gold, yellow and red on the other ones before deciding on a colour.

    I tend to use Tin Bitz for my eyes, but for your Salamanders, I think
    Gold would work better as it's brighter.

    >>Also, it looks like
    >>you haven't drilled the Bolter out.
    >
    > Nope.

    That's such a quick step, and looks so good.

    >>>While painting them I've realised that at the moment I
    >>>don't have enough patience for painting and should now spend time
    >>>assembling and converting instead.
    >>
    >>Assembly line them, and it goes much faster.
    >
    > That's what I do. I still didn't have enough patience not to cause a
    > lot of unnecessary smudges when doing the highlights. I'll just wait a
    > while before I return to painting.

    At least, get the basecoat down even if you defer the highlights.

    >>>The assembly of the Orc & Goblin border patrol progresses slowly with
    >>>only 20 Gobbo legs glued to bases so far.
    >>
    >>So you're the green version of me? ;)
    >
    > Maybe.
    > Orks : Green
    > Tau : Green
    > Salamanders: Green
    > Orcs & Goblins: Green
    > Mordheim Orcs: Green

    Yup, you're the green version of me. :)

    > Cult of the possessed: Unpainted and undecided, but probably not green
    > Shadow warriors: Gray and Black
    > High elves: White and blue
    >
    > It's not all green, but there is a lot of it.

    At over half, there's enough of it.

    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    I'm most of the way through a regiment of Plague Monks, and the
    painting is turning out nice. The robes are a mix of Camo Green and
    Kommando Khaki, looks really sickly. They're the first unit in a 2000
    point Skaven army that must be finished for a RTT on Sept. 24.

    To compound that problem, I've assembled most of a Wood Elf army that
    needs to be done for the same date. The Skaven are my dad's, the Wood
    Elves I'll be using.

    On top of that, I've recently gotten a used Land Raider for $5, and
    have cut off the top and engine. I'll be extending the engine
    compartment, then adding a U-shaped plasticard platform on the top.
    The platform will holding a large podium in the front of the center
    section, and the side sections will have pews once I find some at the
    appropriate size. This will allow my Orks to listen to the preaching
    of the Emmisary of the Waagh!, who is a Warboss I'll begin converting
    soon as well.

    Oh, and I've got an Iron Warriors army in mid-painting, but the
    Warhammer armies are conflicting with it. And I had to strip my
    Marines because my primer was bad. They'll be re-primed and painted
    following the RTT.
    -Erik
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <lUGPe.17$k32.6@trnddc08>, John Hwang wrote:

    > Yup, you're the green version of me. :)

    If you say so.

    --
    Green Hwang
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <lUGPe.17$k32.6@trnddc08>, John Hwang wrote:
    > jockelinde wrote:

    >> Are the legs standard Keeper legs with leg extensions or are
    >> they from something else?
    >
    > Standard. After eBaying Keepers (about $20 each, IIRC), I'm not Bitzing
    > legs at additional cost. Besides, they wouldn't match in detailing.
    >

    > FWIW, I've uploaded more pics showing the GS work over the armatures.
    > Hopefully the extensions at least match nicely at a distance.

    From the new photos it looks like the GS meshes nicely with the legs.

    --
    Joakim

Games Video Games