[paint] [model][ Hobby Progress

Last response: in Video Games
August 24, 2005 10:04:31 AM

Another month, and I've finally addressed my Keepers:

http://public.fotki.com/JHwang/WiP

The Nephilim are still work in progress, but I'm pretty happy. I've
finally addressed the heads *and* solved the "Giants of Albion" problem
for my Dogs of War army. These will be completed for next month.

I also retouched and/or painted all 34 of my Eldar Rangers /
Pathfinders, along with my Alaitoc Farseer. I cleaned and tightened the
camo patterns, added extra distinguishing details to the Pathfinders,
retouched weapons for more of a camo look. It's good to have more stuff
"completed".

I also figure to finish a 2nd Paymistress and my DoW Cannons, which
would be very good work. The Paymistress will finally get the requisite
Shield for Sv3+ to help stay alive.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
August 24, 2005 7:33:07 PM

John Hwang wrote:
> Another month, and I've finally addressed my Keepers:
>
> http://public.fotki.com/JHwang/WiP
>
> The Nephilim are still work in progress, but I'm pretty happy. I've
> finally addressed the heads *and* solved the "Giants of Albion" problem
> for my Dogs of War army. These will be completed for next month.
>
> I also retouched and/or painted all 34 of my Eldar Rangers /
> Pathfinders, along with my Alaitoc Farseer. I cleaned and tightened the
> camo patterns, added extra distinguishing details to the Pathfinders,
> retouched weapons for more of a camo look. It's good to have more stuff
> "completed".
>
> I also figure to finish a 2nd Paymistress and my DoW Cannons, which
> would be very good work. The Paymistress will finally get the requisite
> Shield for Sv3+ to help stay alive.

I ordered a command sprue to go with my extra marines. Hmm. I just
realized that for $3 more I could have gotten the whole set at my local
store. Gahh! $8 shipping. Idiot.

I glued together 2 combat servitors and got my replacement servo arm for
my techmarine (he will be the HQ.

I played a lot of Forza Motorsport on the X-Box.
I have looked at the run away from cleaning off the painting table in
the garage after an aborted attempt to move.

Paint? You got to be kidding...

-Joe
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 7:46:45 PM

Desert Joe wrote:
> I ordered a command sprue to go with my extra marines. Hmm. I just
> realized that for $3 more I could have gotten the whole set at my local
> store. Gahh! $8 shipping. Idiot.

For bitz, go to a GW store for no shipping, no tax. Otherwise, don't
bother, just buy more minis. GW has been pretty good about bumping bitz
prices to more than equal the box / blister cost.

> I glued together 2 combat servitors and got my replacement servo arm
> for my techmarine (he will be the HQ.

Cool.

> I played a lot of Forza Motorsport on the X-Box.

Heh.

> I have looked at the run away from cleaning off the painting
> table in the garage after an aborted attempt to move.

Huh? I don't know what you're talking about here.

> Paint? You got to be kidding...

It's OK. I've gone ages without doing any hobby work on my minis. I
think 2005 has been a pretty good year for me, producton-wise, mostly
because I've finally started to clear a few items off the stack. Still,
plenty to go...

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
August 25, 2005 12:47:21 PM

In article <P5UOe.18812$xp.6428@trnddc02>, John Hwang wrote:
> Another month, and I've finally addressed my Keepers:
>
> http://public.fotki.com/JHwang/WiP
>
> The Nephilim are still work in progress, but I'm pretty happy. I've
> finally addressed the heads *and* solved the "Giants of Albion" problem
> for my Dogs of War army. These will be completed for next month.
>
> I also retouched and/or painted all 34 of my Eldar Rangers /
> Pathfinders, along with my Alaitoc Farseer. I cleaned and tightened the
> camo patterns, added extra distinguishing details to the Pathfinders,
> retouched weapons for more of a camo look. It's good to have more stuff
> "completed".
>
> I also figure to finish a 2nd Paymistress and my DoW Cannons, which
> would be very good work. The Paymistress will finally get the requisite
> Shield for Sv3+ to help stay alive.

I've finished painting my first Salamander Marine:

http://crux.id.gu.se/LirBilder/jockelinde/salamander.JP...

His nine squad mates are almost done, with only details and insignia
left to do. While painting them I've realised that at the moment I
don't have enough patience for painting and should now spend time
assembling and converting instead.

The power fist conversion I posted here a while ago has been recut
closer to the elbow and now looks better.

The assembly of the Orc & Goblin border patrol progresses slowly with
only 20 Gobbo legs glued to bases so far.

--
Joakim
Anonymous

jockelinde wrote:
> John Hwang wrote:
>
>>Another month, and I've finally addressed my Keepers:
>>
>>http://public.fotki.com/JHwang/WiP
>>
>>The Nephilim are still work in progress,

> I've finished painting my first Salamander Marine:
>
> http://crux.id.gu.se/LirBilder/jockelinde/salamander.JP...

Looks pretty good! The bronze eagle contrasts nicely with the green.
The eyes are a bit disappointing - I'd try gold. Also, it looks like
you haven't drilled the Bolter out.

> While painting them I've realised that at the moment I
> don't have enough patience for painting and should now spend time
> assembling and converting instead.

Assembly line them, and it goes much faster. Basecoat everything green.
Then do all the bronze. Then all black, then all gold.

> The assembly of the Orc & Goblin border patrol progresses slowly with
> only 20 Gobbo legs glued to bases so far.

So you're the green version of me? ;)

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
August 26, 2005 12:14:51 PM

In article <vczPe.16885$_f.10449@trnddc03>, John Hwang wrote:
> jockelinde wrote:
>> John Hwang wrote:
>>
>>>Another month, and I've finally addressed my Keepers:
>>>
>>>http://public.fotki.com/JHwang/WiP

Are the legs standard Keeper legs with leg extensions or are they from
something else?

>> I've finished painting my first Salamander Marine:
>>
>> http://crux.id.gu.se/LirBilder/jockelinde/salamander.JP...
>
> Looks pretty good! The bronze eagle contrasts nicely with the green.

Thanks.

> The eyes are a bit disappointing - I'd try gold.

The official colour for the eyes is a light green, which isn't much of
a contrast to the medium green of the armour. On the other I usually
don't worry too much about official colour schemes and will try out
gold, yellow and red on the other ones before deciding on a colour.

> Also, it looks like
> you haven't drilled the Bolter out.

Nope.

>> While painting them I've realised that at the moment I
>> don't have enough patience for painting and should now spend time
>> assembling and converting instead.
>
> Assembly line them, and it goes much faster.

That's what I do. I still didn't have enough patience not to cause a
lot of unnecessary smudges when doing the highlights. I'll just wait a
while before I return to painting.

>> The assembly of the Orc & Goblin border patrol progresses slowly with
>> only 20 Gobbo legs glued to bases so far.
>
> So you're the green version of me? ;)

Maybe.
Orks : Green
Tau : Green
Salamanders: Green
Orcs & Goblins: Green
Mordheim Orcs: Green
Cult of the possessed: Unpainted and undecided, but probably not green
Shadow warriors: Gray and Black
High elves: White and blue

It's not all green, but there is a lot of it.

--
Joakim
Anonymous

jockelinde wrote:

> Are the legs standard Keeper legs with leg extensions or are
> they from something else?

Standard. After eBaying Keepers (about $20 each, IIRC), I'm not Bitzing
legs at additional cost. Besides, they wouldn't match in detailing.

FWIW, I've uploaded more pics showing the GS work over the armatures.
Hopefully the extensions at least match nicely at a distance.

>>>I've finished painting my first Salamander Marine:
>>>
>>>http://crux.id.gu.se/LirBilder/jockelinde/salamander.JP...
>>
>>Looks pretty good! The bronze eagle contrasts nicely with the green.
>
> Thanks.
>
>>The eyes are a bit disappointing - I'd try gold.
>
> The official colour for the eyes is a light green, which isn't much of
> a contrast to the medium green of the armour. On the other I usually
> don't worry too much about official colour schemes and will try out
> gold, yellow and red on the other ones before deciding on a colour.

I tend to use Tin Bitz for my eyes, but for your Salamanders, I think
Gold would work better as it's brighter.

>>Also, it looks like
>>you haven't drilled the Bolter out.
>
> Nope.

That's such a quick step, and looks so good.

>>>While painting them I've realised that at the moment I
>>>don't have enough patience for painting and should now spend time
>>>assembling and converting instead.
>>
>>Assembly line them, and it goes much faster.
>
> That's what I do. I still didn't have enough patience not to cause a
> lot of unnecessary smudges when doing the highlights. I'll just wait a
> while before I return to painting.

At least, get the basecoat down even if you defer the highlights.

>>>The assembly of the Orc & Goblin border patrol progresses slowly with
>>>only 20 Gobbo legs glued to bases so far.
>>
>>So you're the green version of me? ;)
>
> Maybe.
> Orks : Green
> Tau : Green
> Salamanders: Green
> Orcs & Goblins: Green
> Mordheim Orcs: Green

Yup, you're the green version of me. :)

> Cult of the possessed: Unpainted and undecided, but probably not green
> Shadow warriors: Gray and Black
> High elves: White and blue
>
> It's not all green, but there is a lot of it.

At over half, there's enough of it.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
August 29, 2005 12:56:29 PM

I'm most of the way through a regiment of Plague Monks, and the
painting is turning out nice. The robes are a mix of Camo Green and
Kommando Khaki, looks really sickly. They're the first unit in a 2000
point Skaven army that must be finished for a RTT on Sept. 24.

To compound that problem, I've assembled most of a Wood Elf army that
needs to be done for the same date. The Skaven are my dad's, the Wood
Elves I'll be using.

On top of that, I've recently gotten a used Land Raider for $5, and
have cut off the top and engine. I'll be extending the engine
compartment, then adding a U-shaped plasticard platform on the top.
The platform will holding a large podium in the front of the center
section, and the side sections will have pews once I find some at the
appropriate size. This will allow my Orks to listen to the preaching
of the Emmisary of the Waagh!, who is a Warboss I'll begin converting
soon as well.

Oh, and I've got an Iron Warriors army in mid-painting, but the
Warhammer armies are conflicting with it. And I had to strip my
Marines because my primer was bad. They'll be re-primed and painted
following the RTT.
-Erik
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 1:12:12 PM

In article <lUGPe.17$k32.6@trnddc08>, John Hwang wrote:

> Yup, you're the green version of me. :)

If you say so.

--
Green Hwang
Anonymous

In article <lUGPe.17$k32.6@trnddc08>, John Hwang wrote:
> jockelinde wrote:

>> Are the legs standard Keeper legs with leg extensions or are
>> they from something else?
>
> Standard. After eBaying Keepers (about $20 each, IIRC), I'm not Bitzing
> legs at additional cost. Besides, they wouldn't match in detailing.
>

> FWIW, I've uploaded more pics showing the GS work over the armatures.
> Hopefully the extensions at least match nicely at a distance.

From the new photos it looks like the GS meshes nicely with the legs.

--
Joakim
!