New Computer or Upgrade?

Empier

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
So I bought a computer in 2004 (Not that old at all I know) pretty good 1GB, Prescott 3.0Ghz 800MhzFSB (Dell 8400).

Now its weakness: 1GB Memory for me is not cutting it at this point, and the X800SE Graphics card has only 128MB RAM and half the normal pipes I believe.

I love gaming and I also do lots of Photoshop/Dreamweaver/Flash use. Typically unless im in a game i have all three of those applications along with a few web browsers open.

Now my question should I go and buy more memory (Buy a 2 GB set im thinking crucial?) and a new graphics card? (PIC-E NVidia 7800GT is what im thinking). Put together its a hefty investment.

The alternative I was thinking was purchasing a new gaming oriented rig which would still perform well with my job duties (2GB RAM, 2x SLI 7800GT, AMD X2 4400 - I like the 2x1MB L2 Cache).

Ideas? Thoughts? The new rig would go for around $2500 give or take. The upgrades im guessing wouldn't be nearly as much probably $600-$800.

Other concerns i already have is does the dell have a good enough PSU? Jst last night my dell nearly blew I had to reset the power connectors inside! half the memory has already fried once to (Dell sent me replacement sticks -.-).

Advice/IDeas appreciated.

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Depends on your financial situation. If you got the cash, and need for new system, and you don't want to replace most things in the computer that you have, then get a new computer. The other computer is not bad for regular user, you might be able to make a fairly good profit on ebay!