Which brand, Samsung, WD, Maxtor, Hitachi?

Which of these brands build good quality HDD? or in another way, what is everyones experience with these drive, what is your rating for these drives? tell your bad and good experience you had with any of these brands. thank you.
20 answers Last reply
More about which brand samsung maxtor hitachi
  1. I like Seagate (5 yr warrantee), others prefer WD. Maxtor is good too. Hitachi took over the IBM line, so there's the bad history of the Deathstar drives, but their current offers seem good quality. I've used Samsung drives without problems as well.

Any of them should give you a good experience and most perform so similarly that you couldn't tell the difference unless they were side-by-side with otherwise identical hardware. Personal preference and price should be your guide.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
    -- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>
  2. the Seagate and Samsung, for how long have you owned them, and have you had any failures with them or any sort of defect? thank you.
  3. I've had numerous Seagates, One is still running after almost 15 years , though not every day any more. It was on 24/7 for about 6 years without a problem. I'm using one now, but its only a year old. A couple have died over time, but probably less as a percentage than any other brand I've had experience with. Its my preferred brand.

That's not to say that the other brands have more problems. Over time, I've probably had 1 of every 10-15 drives go bad before 'retirement,' but in most cases that was after years of daily use.

The Samsung was several years ago (before the gigabyte era... its a 360MEGAbyte HD) but it was fine for the 2+ years I used it.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
    -- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>
  4. I've seen all of them die. IBM was the worst so I'm still hesitant to buy Hitachi who bought them out.

I really don't like Maxtor. They're noisy and make a scratchy noise that is really annoying.

I really like Western Digital. I've had great luck with them. I currently have a 1200JB, 2000JB, Raptor 74GB, and 2 3200JD's.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!
  5. lol, i just ordered a Hitachi, hopefully i won't have the same experience as you had with Hitachi. I was leaning towards WD but Hitachi had a faster seek time. So looks like i'm going to have to try it and see how it goes.
  6. Seek time are not something that you will notice, unless it is a very big laps between 2 drives. Your new drive will feel fast, but only because it is empty. Let it fill up and becoming fragmented and it will perform the same as one with a some tenth of milliseconds more...

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")<b>ώ</b>(")
  7. Hitachi, said that os loads faster, i don't know if thats true or not. But i'll try it, also had NCQ, wanna try that too. so well see how this drive is, probably to me i might see a difference because my last drive was 2mb cache, 40gb, and probably seek time of 10milliseconds or more, i have no idea, it's a 3 year old drive.
  8. What I meant is difference from current drive model and not from current to your older, which in this case, you might feel a difference.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")<b>ώ</b>(")
  9. oh no, i knew what you meant, lol.
  10. Unless I didnt find the hdd you were looking for, and I put that only as an example too, the specs I got are the hitachi has 8.5ms while the WD has 8.9. It is .4ms difference. but in real world, that means that there is less tha half a millisecond difference, which meand that while booting, you'll need to seek for about 2500 different files to actually have a second of difference. I dont know how many files windows is loading when booting, and that, added to the time it needs to process those filesbuying one drive or another don't matter. I rather buy warranty and quietness than numbers..

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")<b>ώ</b>(")
  11. so you would go for a Seagate HDD?
  12. Actually, I have 2 Seagates 160 gigs in RAID 0 in my system, with one maxtor and one WD. the first ones to get replaced will be the Maxtor and the WD... The Maxtor being 200 gigs PATA and the WD being 40 gigs PATA. I will either get a higher cap. SATA Seagate or 2 smaller(but not less than 200 gigs..) Seagate to RAID them .. Both PATA drives connected to SATA header with PATA-SATA converter.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")<b>ώ</b>(")
  13. I know i bothered everyone about raid 0. what do you use the raid 0 drives for?
  14. It is partitionned in 5 partition, 60 gigs for system, 100 gigs for capture and editing and multimedia files, 100 for some Divx movies, 40 gigs for storage ov DVDs images waiting to be burned and 5 gigs for temporary storage.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")<b>ώ</b>(")
  15. from your experience with raid 0, how fast is the harddrives of raid 0 and the regular drives?
  16. All I can say is that normal drives gives abot 55-60 MB/s while my array, on the first partition is well over 100 MB/s. the last ones are a bit slower, as for any HDD.

I'm sure seek time is slower than single drive, but.. I don't care, because when the file is found, it is faster. I dont care waiting 2-3 ms more for the hdd to find the file I ask them, but when it start to xfer it, I have it faster by some second, especially with bigger files, as multimedia files.

But if you are only surfing the web and doing light stuff, that means that you are not in a rush and you can afford to wait a bit more and get only one drive.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")<b>ώ</b>(")
  17. how slow are the other paritions on the raid 0 array? also are you using your build-in raid controller on your motherboard or did you buy a seperate card for it?
  18. I dont remember and too lazy right now to check, but they were slower for sure, especially the last 5 gigs one. And yes, i'm using the onboard nforce4 controller.

You ask too many question now and if you want more accurate answer or more how to, get a second HDD and setup your own array.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")<b>ώ</b>(")
  19. lol, you right.
  20. i forgot to say, thanks alot for all that you have told me.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Maxtor Samsung Hitachi Storage Product