[40K] RTT battle report.

Last response: in Video Games
August 28, 2005 7:54:36 AM

Well, I took the 1750 pt list I posted earlier and did well at the local
indie RTT.

Quick report:

Game 1 - My opponent was a really nice guy named Doyle with a nifty
Green & Black Nid army (my first Nid vs Nid game) done with metallic
looking weapons (reminded me of the aliens movies). Mission was Cleans
II and turned into a head to head slug fest. Really, I got lucky in
getting the first turn and opened fire on his gaunts and stealers on my
right nearly wiping out the gaunts and downing several stealers. My
gants and carnies hammered his gants on my left flank and then
everything advanced. We got in two full turns and started on three - so
I ended up with 2 quarters uncontested and undamaged units in his
deployment zone. In fact, poor Doyle just didn't get a break on the
dice rolls throughout much of the game. Had he gotten the first turn,
it would have been a lot different, and I'd have been hard pressed to
pull a draw.

Game 2 - Drew (who was I'm guessing about 12 or so and turned out to be
Doyle's son) with a red and black Eldar army. The scenario was 'suicide
squad' along with victory points. Drew wasn't a bad player, just sort of
unprepared (my friend had to find his army list at another table) and
his army wasn't well tuned for tournament play. But his banshees did
give me a scare on my right flank before I overwelmed them with gants,
stealers, and a HTH warrior squad. We got in 2 full turns and my stage
of the 3rd. I killed a lot of his expensive units and knocked most of
the rest below half and ended up with my 2nd victory.

Game 3 - My 3rd opponent was a nice young man named Jeff who had a kick-
butt IG army. He had approx 115 meatshields... err Troopers as well as
2 Russ, a Hell Hound, and a basilisk. The mission was Hostage
Retrieval, and oddly enough the IG were the defenders. This game was a
good game and really close. The 'hostage basically started in IG
control in the facing slope of a large central hill on turn one, changed
to my control, and then ended up wandering around the middle of the
board till the very end (beginning of turn 3) when I snagged him again.
Jeff did a nice job of immolating my poor hormagaunts by cooking them
with a command squad with 4 flamers. (I wasn't paying attention and
didn't look closely to see what they had as they were behind the center
hill - ouch!) The other 'nice shot' of the game was him inflicting 3
wounds on one of my Fex with ratling 5 snipers in a single round. The
game ended just after the movement phase of turn 3 with my Tyrant with 2
wounds remaining and in control of the hostage in the neutral zone.
Final victory points were 318 for Jeff and 345 for me - a draw. Jeff
maneuvered and picked his firing opportunites well and was a lot of fun.
If we'd have finished turn 3 it could have gone either way, but I'd have
to give a good 60/40 odds in Jeff's favor as he had a lot of meat
shields and all of his vehicals still intact at that point. (Though I
had was about to charge his Hell Hound and one of his Russ with a trio
of rending claw warriors so perhaps I'd have gotten lucky there. And my
HTH tooled Fex would have made it into HTH this round as well.)

I definitely enjoyed my games with both Doyle and Jeff - and while Drew
wasn't bad, he just seemed distracted, but when you're 12 or so - 3
games of 40K over 8 hours straight is a long day. Overall I had a good
time (and did surprisingly well to my mind) for my first RTT. I ended
up 2nd in battle points over all out of 14 or 116 players and to my
delight I won for 'Best Painted Army'. (Makes me glad I stayed up until
3 a.m. finishing the last of my warriors and the 2 new edition fexes.
But 3 fex and no fast attack probably didn't help in the comp
department. {I don't have any winged warriors or gargoyles done - and
I've had mixed results with Raveners.}) I was rather surprised by the
win for best painted as there were 3 or 4 other armys that I got a good
look at (and more that I wanted to see and didn't get a chance to
unfortunately) that were really sharp. There was a gentleman with a
'Fallen Dark Angels' Themed Chaos army that was just sweet, as well as a
cool Slanessh army too. And the really nice guy (who's name now escapes
me - doh!) who won best overall had a really cool Nid army. His display
base was a blackened lava field with pools of lava, and his army was
done in an eye catching orange and yellow lava scheme - with the central
figure being his winged 4th Ed Tyrant with a cool pair of converted
twin-linked devourers (12 shots with reroll and living ammo - glad I
didn't have to face off against that).

Ah well - time for some sleep for a change. Got another game of
40K tomorrow with a friend's young son who likes the 40K computer game
and wants try the minis game too.

Later,

Myr

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

More about : 40k rtt battle report

August 29, 2005 2:39:41 AM

"Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message
> Well, I took the 1750 pt list I posted earlier and did well at the local
> indie RTT.
>
> Quick report:

<snip't>

Seems to me that 1750 pts is a tad too large for tournament play, seeing as
how you never got to finish turn three in any of your games!

cheers,

chris/bass/idoru
'idoru' website: http://www.idoru.com.au
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 2:39:42 AM

In article <4311b092@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, linscrisNO@SPAMmail.tpg.com.au
says...

> "Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message
> > Well, I took the 1750 pt list I posted earlier and did well at the local
> > indie RTT.
> >
> > Quick report:
>
> <snip't>
>
> Seems to me that 1750 pts is a tad too large for tournament play, seeing as
> how you never got to finish turn three in any of your games!
>
> cheers,

Well, we did get started about 45 minutes or so late as there was
initially an odd number of players and someone left and came back with
another army to even it out. Still it seems 2 - 2.5 hours is a bit short
to finish a match that size. I think that GW's decided on that points
value so folks can field a decent variety of units for game play and to
show them off. What surprised me was that out 14 or 16 players there was
only a single Marine based army (Deamon Hunters). There were 3 Nid
armys, 3 IG armys (which all ended up playing each other the last round),
plus several ork and eldar armies, Chaos, and even Necrons. But no
vanilla Marine forces, which seemed odd since the only 2 new codex out
are Marines & Nids.

Myrmidon

--
Re: (40k) Spacewolves, how are they?

**best waiter impersonation**
They're very good this evening Sir, I recommend them with the
side serving of cranberry sauce.

-- Jon Hedge

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

August 29, 2005 2:39:43 AM

"Myr's Basement Lair" wrote...
>> Seems to me that 1750 pts is a tad too large for tournament play, seeing as
>> how you never got to finish turn three in any of your games!

What's the time limit on a tourney, anyway?

> What surprised me was that out 14 or 16 players there was
> only a single Marine based army (Deamon Hunters). There were 3 Nid
> armys, 3 IG armys (which all ended up playing each other the last round),
> plus several ork and eldar armies, Chaos, and even Necrons. But no
> vanilla Marine forces, which seemed odd since the only 2 new codex out
> are Marines & Nids.

That *is* odd. From what I've seen, marines were one of the most popular armies
even before the new codex came out.

--
- Ward.
wardcb at earthlink dot net

"Did Noah keep his bees in archives?"
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 2:39:44 AM

"W. B." <wardcb@NOSPAMearthlink.net> wrote in message
> "Myr's Basement Lair" wrote...
>
> > What surprised me was that out 14 or 16 players there was
> > only a single Marine based army (Deamon Hunters). There were 3 Nid
> > armys, 3 IG armys (which all ended up playing each other the last
round),
> > plus several ork and eldar armies, Chaos, and even Necrons. But no
> > vanilla Marine forces, which seemed odd since the only 2 new codex out
> > are Marines & Nids.
>

> That *is* odd. From what I've seen, marines were one of the most popular
armies
> even before the new codex came out.

I've heard (hearsay only, no facts to back this up . . .) that Space Marines
account for about 40% of everything GW sells, and that SM sell more than the
entire Fantasy range combined.

Cheers, Martyn
--
Warmaster base templates -->
http://www.mrobs.freeserve.co.uk/wm/index.html - line your figures up neatly

In article <wLoQe.2963$Wd7.2106@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
wardcb@NOSPAMearthlink.net says...
> "Myr's Basement Lair" wrote...
> >> Seems to me that 1750 pts is a tad too large for tournament play, seeing as
> >> how you never got to finish turn three in any of your games!
>
> What's the time limit on a tourney, anyway?

Don't know what's typical in most areas, but I'm going to guess
between 2 and 3 hours per game. Smaller model count armys play faster
than hoard armys, and experienced players tend to play faster as well
(not a lot of rules questions/disputes).

> > What surprised me was that out 14 or 16 players there was
> > only a single Marine based army (Deamon Hunters). There were 3 Nid
> > armys, 3 IG armys (which all ended up playing each other the last round),
> > plus several ork and eldar armies, Chaos, and even Necrons. But no
> > vanilla Marine forces, which seemed odd since the only 2 new codex out
> > are Marines & Nids.
>

> That *is* odd. From what I've seen, marines were one of the most popular armies
> even before the new codex came out.

Yeah, I was surprised too - various Marine chapters are (in
general) the most popular of the 40K line hands down. I honestly
expected to play at least one game against marines and wouldn't have been
surprised if it had been 2 out of 3 games. I was wrong. Sadly I didn't
get matched against any ork armys or the chaos which I would have liked -
but the game against the IG more than made up for that.

Well, back to painting...

Myr

--
And I want someone to slap me with a fish every time I buy something
new, assemble it, and then leave it unpainted for months.

- Jakearon

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

August 29, 2005 2:39:45 AM

"M Roberts" <unknown@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
news:D et68m$gm5$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> "W. B." <wardcb@NOSPAMearthlink.net> wrote in message
>> "Myr's Basement Lair" wrote...
>>
>> > What surprised me was that out 14 or 16 players there was
>> > only a single Marine based army (Deamon Hunters). There were 3 Nid
>> > armys, 3 IG armys (which all ended up playing each other the last
>> > round),
>> > plus several ork and eldar armies, Chaos, and even Necrons. But no
>> > vanilla Marine forces, which seemed odd since the only 2 new codex out
>> > are Marines & Nids.

>> That *is* odd. From what I've seen, marines were one of the most popular
> armies
>> even before the new codex came out.

> I've heard (hearsay only, no facts to back this up . . .) that Space
> Marines
> account for about 40% of everything GW sells, and that SM sell more than
> the
> entire Fantasy range combined.

I'd heard it was more like 50%. Either way, its one of the biggest factors
in wrecking game balance in 40K out in the real world, and the people who
set marketing priorities at GW should be shot for it.

Tim
--
----------------
I love the smell of vomit in the newsgroup, it smells like...VICTORY!

If you want to reply by email, replace the asterisks with underscores.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 4:48:08 AM

I wandered in and saw the armies in this RTT. Pretty darned good looking
armies. I liked all the Nids. I have always thought there was alot you
could do with the bugs!

I would have had my Tau there if that darned job thing hadn't gotten in the
way.

Really liked your Nids Myrmidon

Jim Williams
!