I think this is normal, but my HD (probably) is ma

G

I just built a new system. Athlon 64 2800+ w/ a Seagate 200GB 7200rpm 8mb cache (ATA/100) internal HD. Everything is new. The weird thing is, I think theres a sound coming from the HD. I believe its the sound it makes when its seeking up or something.

The sounds are like a faint sound. It gets triggered when I do certain things. For example, whenever I press BACK & FORWARD on the IE using my MOUSE, or move around a video clip when I'm watching. The strange thing is when I press BACK & FORWARD with my KEYBOARD... there's no sound, but only when I use my mouse. Another weird thing is when I'm using the scrolling function with the mouse, I can hear a sound that is fainter than the sound I'm mention, but it's still there. However, whenever I open a big folder, I hear a very very faint tiny whine sound that lasts for less than a second everytime I do something. It sounds like a very annoying "seeking up," but tight pitch and
whiny.

I believe it is coming from the HD and probably normal. It's just the fact that I have never heard of this sound before because I have TWO of the exact SAME HDs on different computers with none of these weird annoying pitchy sounds. Maybe it could be something else than the HD?

pat

Expert
Probably something is conflicting with your mouse or it is electrical noise, but I'm sure it is not the HDD. I would check the sound card/onboard sound for interference when moving the mouse.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")<b>ώ</b>(")

tiger102

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
or what you could do is open up your case, and then use ie and see where the sound is comeing from, if you hear it from the hd, than that's your problem, or from somewhere else like pat suggested.

G

My speakers are off and the mouse I use isn't wireless, so I don't think there is any kind of interference.

It just seems weird when I scroll up/down or press forward/back on the mouse (Not on the keyboard though), it seems to have the noise. Not to mention, it also does this while scrolling through a movie or opening a big folder (it seems to do it either right after)... For one thing, the sound is a bit high frequency and whiny..

Anyways, I just defragged my HD (as recommended). The high frequency sound seems to have reduced 20%... although I can still hear it because the comp is right next to me, the sound has decreased though. However, it still does it when I do the stuff that triggers it. Strange, eh?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Does your PC beep when you turn it on?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

Like normal POST beep (during the startup screen right before Window loads)? Yes, it should beep and it does. But if you're just talking about the supposed HD high frequency sound (only when triggered by something), then it only does this when my computer is ON of course, but only when it is triggered...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The noise could be comming from the speaker that goes "beep". I've heard similar sounds before.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

Could it also possibly be that my HD IDE cable is folded? I wanted to maximize air flow and efficiency, but so I made creases and folded certain parts of my cable... perhaps maybe I folded it too hard, could have damaged it causing this sound? Because my other two systems, I never folded it, and did not have this minor annoyance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I was suggesting the internal speaker might be making the noise. Isn't your internal speaker the one that beeps?

G

Well, it isn't a beep like I said. It isn't like the POST beep... but I could try disconnecting the case speaker to see if it is or not.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've heard electronic noise come from the internal speaker, that's nothing like the POST beep.

G

I just disconnected my internal case speaker. Still the same problem. Well that rules out the case... I'm still thinking its probably have to do with my HDD, but it's just strange that I didn't have this problem with my other computers (same exact HD).

pat

Expert
I would try a better PSU. Maybe the one you have is at the limit and it is pushing the other component to their limits and they start making some electronic noise.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")<b>ώ</b>(")

G

Well, I think upon further investigation and listening to the computer, I actually think it might be coming from somewhere else. Because my computer is in a tight place, I am unable to actually pull it out (until later) and determine where the sound is coming from. But I just placed it up to my ears, and it SEEMS to be coming from the BACK side of the computer... not sure if it's high or low, but I'm guessing lower side near the slots/mobo maybe... That could be me though, I haven't taken apart my computer out yet because it's kinda packed and full of crap atm. :/

But, anyways, my PSU is an Antec SP450W SmartPower 2.0, so I'm pretty sure it has enough power.

G

Here's an update. I swapped out the PSUs with another one and found the same problem. I believe it's my motherboard (possibly). Under someone else's recommendation, I disabled the onboard sound through the BIOS "OnChip Audio Controller" ... and the high-pitch sound went away during load/doing things. HOWEVER, the "mouse scroll up/scroll down" sound still appears. They are two different sounds. One is the annoying high-pitch sound that comes from the back, and is triggered when forwarding/backward through IE and programs that seem to trigger it when on load and such.

But now, I have no sound AT ALL because I disabled the onboard sound.

I guess it's just my Abit NF8 motherboard's soundchip then... and I have no choice but to buy an actual sound chip? *sigh* I find this weird, maybe it's only apparant with MY motherboard (brand and/or model)...