Anyone know if the ENVY line has serious issues?

darksteel

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
When I went to buy my notebook for school, I had basically settled on the ENVY 15. However, the salesman told me that 9/10 had come back with serious issues and demanded refunds. One person who was persistent of that notebook went through 5 in 3 different stores before he got one that worked. All of it had to do with some fatal screen error if I recall. I decided I'd toss the extra cash for the ENVY 17, and wouldn't you know, it too would be mired in problems.

My ENVY 17 has had nothing but problems. Overheating (no load, ambient is 20C, CPU temp is 60+), poor battery life (>1 hour under minimal load), network has disconnected too many times for me to accept it (randomly drops), function keys intermittently stop working.

It sounds, from the way the case manager I am dealing with has spoken to me, that they are aware of the issues. The first time I contacted him, he offered an extended warranty after the issue was solved. Right off the bat, I then suspect that they know something's up; they don't just toss around free extended warranties, they're worth a bit of money (at least if you were to buy one). He tried to tell me, after it came back and wasn't fixed, that it passed all their tests, despite right out of the box it wasn't any better. Of course, I don't suppose they can justify a current of 6000+mAh on a 5600mAh battery, under no load. He's trying to tell me that 60+C is acceptable because it's within the design of the CPU, despite their spec sheet lists 35 as the operating temperature. He also said that Speedfan and RealTemp weren't going to be acceptable to record the temperature, to which I said "my hand will be the judge of the temperature" When I asked what HP would do if it came back unfixed (which I sincerely expect from them, given their terrible service), he said he didn't want to deal with it, that he'd deal with it when it came back. I expect him to say "we'll be happy to fix it again" to which he'll hear "give me your manager" along with some other choice words.

I've since lost all faith in HP. I used to like them, but I can't say I do anymore. Between incompetent managers and even support agents (believe me, if you heard some of the things they suggested to me), I just don't like them anymore.

But more so to my point, I want to know if anyone knows if there are any serious design flaws or such with this line. My 17 is mired with issues and from what I've sniffed out, it seems some issues (especially overheating) is plaguing others as well. And since the 15 is notorious from what Best Buy had me believe, all I can do is suggest the whole line is bad.

My notebook goes out tomorrow morning, I'm taking it to the shipping place early to get morning shipment, and it should be back in a week.

Edgeworks

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I am having issues with my HP Envy 17. It suffers random hard resets. No BSoD or memory dump. No errors, no warnings, just a "pop" and a black screen and a reboot. Windows doesn't like it, of course. Happens on one of two power supplies and/or one of two different batteries.

darksteel

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
It came back today, and I must admit, these HP repair people are pretty stupid.

I'm still getting a high minimum temperature. It starts at 50C but only tops off at 65C now. It's much better, still above their product specifications.

The replacement battery they put in (because I gave them one of mine), is not only bigger than the original I had (you can tell when you compare them or put it in), but is 15W lower and 1.5V lower as well. Obviously some noob doesn't know how to read the battery.

I tried to check the battery info, I get an unknown error. HP chat told me to simply charge my battery for an hour (a really stupid idea) which didn't work. They thought that maybe updating BIOS or something like that would work, but this notebook has updated BIOS.

Battery life appears to be slightly better, if at all. I had iTunes with a few Chrome tabs, I got 25% after about an hour, so it's still not performing as it's supposed to. I wanted to check the watt consumption and terminal voltage, but because it's giving me an error when I check it, I can't.

HP support was able to tell me the fix involved the covers and the fan/heatsink. I made it quite evident that replacing the fan/heatsink didn't do anything last time on the form, and clearly it really hasn't solved anything this time either.

G

Hi.

I have been arguing with HP about my Envy 17-1085eo for a month now. At last we agreed that I would make a clean windows 7 ultimate install to see if my problems disseapered. I did, then run MS update, got a driver for the touchpad that actually works and responds, the heat`s still there and also the noise, BUT, I found a seriuos fault in this model, which makes HP a company guilty of FRAUD!!!!! :

IT HAS INTEL I720 QM PROCESSOR WHICH CONTAINS INTELS TURBO BOOST TECNOLOGY. THIS DID NOT GOT INSTALLED BY MS UPDATE SO I DID IT TROUGH HP`S PAGE. WHEN INSTALLING I GOT THIS MESSAGE:

"THIS COMPUTER DOES NOT MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SOFTWARE"

This means that the mainboard and the processor does not fit together and is nessesary for a laptop. And this is the reason for the heat and all the resets when gaming etc. because the processor runs 1,6 ghz and with the turbo it runs 2,8 ghz, nearly the double.

TO ALL OF YOU OUT THERE, DO WHAT I DID AND BREAK HP`S NECK, I AM ABOUT TO DO IT, LIVE IN NORWAY AND WE HAVE DESENT LAWS FOR THIS KIND OF FRAUD.

DONT EVER TRUST HP, THEY DO THINGS WITH THEIR MODELS THAT IS NO WAY NEAR WORTHY!!!!

KEEP ON FIGHTING AND YOU WILL GET RESULTS!!!