product key not valid for service pack 2

I was given a used computer a few months ago and I keep getting a message on
the tool bar that windows has an update ready to install which is the service
pack 2. After a few attemps I keep getting an error message: The product key
used to install microsoft windows may not be valid. What should I do. I am
pretty computer reclined so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gabrielle
2 answers Last reply
More about product valid service pack

    Gabrielle wrote:
    > I was given a used computer a few months ago and I keep getting a message on
    > the tool bar that windows has an update ready to install which is the service
    > pack 2. After a few attemps I keep getting an error message: The product key
    > used to install microsoft windows may not be valid. What should I do. I am
    > pretty computer reclined so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Gabrielle

    If you are trying to install a WinXP Service Pack and getting the
    following:

    The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

    You need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full retail copy of
    WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
    using the new CD and Product Key.

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Sounds like the verion of windows you are using might be pirated. Usually
    windows update only catches pirated versions when you install something
    major like a service pack. Hotfixes generally don't trigger this message.

    Try this wizard:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

    Then you will know if your version of windows is Authentic.

    --
    Lawrence Wong
    Microsoft Beta Tester

    Current Project(s)
    - MSN Messenger Beta 7.5
    "Gabrielle" <Gabrielle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was given a used computer a few months ago and I keep getting a message
    >on
    > the tool bar that windows has an update ready to install which is the
    > service
    > pack 2. After a few attemps I keep getting an error message: The product
    > key
    > used to install microsoft windows may not be valid. What should I do. I am
    > pretty computer reclined so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Gabrielle

Computers Microsoft Error Message Windows XP