product key not valid for service pack 2

July 31, 2005 3:17:03 PM

I was given a used computer a few months ago and I keep getting a message on
the tool bar that windows has an update ready to install which is the service
pack 2. After a few attemps I keep getting an error message: The product key
used to install microsoft windows may not be valid. What should I do. I am
pretty computer reclined so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gabrielle

More about : product key valid service pack

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 4:46:39 PM

Gabrielle wrote:
> I was given a used computer a few months ago and I keep getting a message on
> the tool bar that windows has an update ready to install which is the service
> pack 2. After a few attemps I keep getting an error message: The product key
> used to install microsoft windows may not be valid. What should I do. I am
> pretty computer reclined so any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Gabrielle

If you are trying to install a WinXP Service Pack and getting the
following:

The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

You need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full retail copy of
WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
using the new CD and Product Key.

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:30:33 PM

Sounds like the verion of windows you are using might be pirated. Usually
windows update only catches pirated versions when you install something
major like a service pack. Hotfixes generally don't trigger this message.

Try this wizard:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows...

Then you will know if your version of windows is Authentic.

--
Lawrence Wong
Microsoft Beta Tester

Current Project(s)