Setting up Palm Desktop for NonAdministrator

October 10, 2004 1:14:46 PM

I installed Palm Desktop 4.1.4 on Win2K/SP4. I did it from the
administrator account. However, I can't access the software from a
nonadministrator account. I made all palmOne directories,
subdirectories and files accessible by all (readable and executable)
using cygwin command line interpreter. When I run Palm Desktop, I get
a window saying that the configuration is incorrect, and that it was
terminating.

Oh well, I thought, looks like the program is hardwired for the
administrator account -- or possibly whichever account was used to
install it. Unfortunately, my fiddling around to open up the
file/directory permissions also prevented the administrator account
from running it. When I double-click the shortcut, I only get the
palmOne splash window. I don't even get any buttons to dismiss it.
I have to kill off the Palm.exe process from the task manager.

In the end, I fixed the corrupt software by reinstalling it. I didn't
try to open it up to nonadministrators anymore. Is there a way to
do that?

Fred
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 7:05:03 PM

On 10 Oct 2004 09:14:46 GMT, Fred Ma had this to say...

> I installed Palm Desktop 4.1.4 on Win2K/SP4. I did it from the
> administrator account. However, I can't access the software from a
> nonadministrator account. I made all palmOne directories,
> subdirectories and files accessible by all (readable and executable)
> using cygwin command line interpreter. When I run Palm Desktop, I get
> a window saying that the configuration is incorrect, and that it was
> terminating.
>
> Oh well, I thought, looks like the program is hardwired for the
> administrator account -- or possibly whichever account was used to
> install it. Unfortunately, my fiddling around to open up the
> file/directory permissions also prevented the administrator account
> from running it. When I double-click the shortcut, I only get the
> palmOne splash window. I don't even get any buttons to dismiss it.
> I have to kill off the Palm.exe process from the task manager.
>
> In the end, I fixed the corrupt software by reinstalling it. I didn't
> try to open it up to nonadministrators anymore. Is there a way to
> do that?
>
> Fred

Give User admin rights.
Install software logged in as user.
Hotsync at least once as user w/admin rights.
revoke admin rights.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Jim Anderson wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2004 09:14:46 GMT, Fred Ma had this to say...
>
> > I installed Palm Desktop 4.1.4 on Win2K/SP4. I did it from the
> > administrator account. However, I can't access the software from a
> > nonadministrator account. I made all palmOne directories,
> > subdirectories and files accessible by all (readable and executable)
> > using cygwin command line interpreter. When I run Palm Desktop, I get
> > a window saying that the configuration is incorrect, and that it was
> > terminating.
> >
> > Oh well, I thought, looks like the program is hardwired for the
> > administrator account -- or possibly whichever account was used to
> > install it. Unfortunately, my fiddling around to open up the
> > file/directory permissions also prevented the administrator account
> > from running it. When I double-click the shortcut, I only get the
> > palmOne splash window. I don't even get any buttons to dismiss it.
> > I have to kill off the Palm.exe process from the task manager.
> >
> > In the end, I fixed the corrupt software by reinstalling it. I didn't
> > try to open it up to nonadministrators anymore. Is there a way to
> > do that?
>
> Give User admin rights.
> Install software logged in as user.
> Hotsync at least once as user w/admin rights.
> revoke admin rights.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.
> Jim Anderson
> ( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

Thanks. Will try it. Still trying to get my text info into decent
form form CVS import.

Fred

P.S. Nice smiley --- I assume it is a monkey?
October 11, 2004 12:20:26 PM

On 11 Oct 2004 05:34:53 GMT, Fred Ma had this to say...

> Jim Anderson wrote:
> >
> > On 10 Oct 2004 09:14:46 GMT, Fred Ma had this to say...
> >
> > > I installed Palm Desktop 4.1.4 on Win2K/SP4. I did it from the
> > > administrator account. However, I can't access the software from a
> > > nonadministrator account. I made all palmOne directories,
> > > subdirectories and files accessible by all (readable and executable)
> > > using cygwin command line interpreter. When I run Palm Desktop, I get
> > > a window saying that the configuration is incorrect, and that it was
> > > terminating.
> > >
> > > Oh well, I thought, looks like the program is hardwired for the
> > > administrator account -- or possibly whichever account was used to
> > > install it. Unfortunately, my fiddling around to open up the
> > > file/directory permissions also prevented the administrator account
> > > from running it. When I double-click the shortcut, I only get the
> > > palmOne splash window. I don't even get any buttons to dismiss it.
> > > I have to kill off the Palm.exe process from the task manager.
> > >
> > > In the end, I fixed the corrupt software by reinstalling it. I didn't
> > > try to open it up to nonadministrators anymore. Is there a way to
> > > do that?
> >
> > Give User admin rights.
> > Install software logged in as user.
> > Hotsync at least once as user w/admin rights.
> > revoke admin rights.
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps.
> > Jim Anderson
> > ( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
>
> Thanks. Will try it. Still trying to get my text info into decent
> form form CVS import.
>
> Fred
>
> P.S. Nice smiley --- I assume it is a monkey?

Homer Simpson

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 12:20:27 PM

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:20:26 GMT, Jim Anderson
<fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:

>On 11 Oct 2004 05:34:53 GMT, Fred Ma had this to say...
>

>> Jim Anderson wrote:
>> >
>> > On 10 Oct 2004 09:14:46 GMT, Fred Ma had this to say...

>> > Give User admin rights.
>> > Install software logged in as user.
>> > Hotsync at least once as user w/admin rights.
>> > revoke admin rights.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Hope this helps.
>> > Jim Anderson
>> > ( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
>>
>> Thanks. Will try it. Still trying to get my text info into decent
>> form form CVS import.
>>
>> Fred
>>
>> P.S. Nice smiley --- I assume it is a monkey?
>>

>Homer Simpson

I was wondering about that myself :)  Looks just like Homer...good job
<g>
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 5:36:51 AM

Jim Anderson wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2004 09:14:46 GMT, Fred Ma had this to say...
>
> > I installed Palm Desktop 4.1.4 on Win2K/SP4. I did it from the
> > administrator account. However, I can't access the software from a
> > nonadministrator account. I made all palmOne directories,
> > subdirectories and files accessible by all (readable and executable)
> > using cygwin command line interpreter. When I run Palm Desktop, I get
> > a window saying that the configuration is incorrect, and that it was
> > terminating.
> >
> > Oh well, I thought, looks like the program is hardwired for the
> > administrator account -- or possibly whichever account was used to
> > install it. Unfortunately, my fiddling around to open up the
> > file/directory permissions also prevented the administrator account
> > from running it. When I double-click the shortcut, I only get the
> > palmOne splash window. I don't even get any buttons to dismiss it.
> > I have to kill off the Palm.exe process from the task manager.
> >
> > In the end, I fixed the corrupt software by reinstalling it. I didn't
> > try to open it up to nonadministrators anymore. Is there a way to
> > do that?
>
> Give User admin rights.
> Install software logged in as user.
> Hotsync at least once as user w/admin rights.
> revoke admin rights.

It works like a charm. Thanks, Jim.

Fred
!