outlook express 6 xp home edition sp2 can't send or receiv..

July 31, 2005 4:44:02 PM

hello,

i think outlook express 6 and norton internet security or norton antivirus
are incompatible...at least something is wrong. i can't send or receive
emails. i contacted cox intenernet service and they had me go through some
things but i was only able to send and receive emails that one time. they
said it had to do with norton antivirus. but, they could be wrong. i will
also contact symantecs.

can someone please give me some advice on how to get this back up and
running? i will have to keep checking back, because the email doesn't work.

thanks, scott
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 5:09:11 PM

Norton and OE do have many shortcomings. Do you get any error messages? I
assume Cox went through your account settings. Turn of e-mail scanning and
try. You will still be protected and this can cause problems.

Error 0x800ccc0d or 0x800ccc0f or 0x800ccc19 when Receiving or Sending
E-Mail
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

Turn off the e-mail scanning in your anti-virus.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/pfdocs/200...

You are still protected:
http://snipurl.com/bmf6

If you have an Anti-Spam program, that can also be the cause of the error.

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
~IB-CA~

"okiescott" <okiescott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> i think outlook express 6 and norton internet security or norton antivirus
> are incompatible...at least something is wrong. i can't send or receive
> emails. i contacted cox intenernet service and they had me go through some
> things but i was only able to send and receive emails that one time. they
> said it had to do with norton antivirus. but, they could be wrong. i will
> also contact symantecs.
>
> can someone please give me some advice on how to get this back up and
> running? i will have to keep checking back, because the email doesn't
> work.
>
> thanks, scott
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 7:35:54 PM

"okiescott" <okiescott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> i think outlook express 6 and norton internet security or norton
> antivirus are incompatible...at least something is wrong. i can't
> send or receive emails. i contacted cox intenernet service and they
> had me go through some things but i was only able to send and receive
> emails that one time. they said it had to do with norton antivirus.
> but, they could be wrong. i will also contact symantecs.
>
> can someone please give me some advice on how to get this back up and
> running? i will have to keep checking back, because the email doesn't
> work.
>
> thanks, scott

Turn off email scanning in your anti-virus. It provides no added
protection.

The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express
Published: November 18, 2004
By Tom Koch
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/f...

Email scanning slows down Sending and Receiving, sometimes enough that OE
times out. Since some of the received messages have large (often virus)
attachments, which exasperates the problem.
Some Comcast users have found it necessary to totally uninstall Norton and
switch to the free AVG with mail scanning off. Norton invented email
scanning and here's what they say:

"Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8...

"...your computer is protected if Auto-Protect is enabled. Auto-Protect
scans any incoming files, including email attachments, when the files are
saved to your hard drive."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001...

"NAV provides multiple layers of protection. Email scanning is just one of
those layers. Even if you are not running Email Scanning, your computer is
protected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments by NAV
Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect will scan any incoming files, including email
attachments, as they are saved to your hard drive. To make sure that
Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep Auto-Protect enabled
and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have the most recent virus
definitions."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf...

See also
http://help.expedient.com/mailnews/norton_antivirus.sht...

So Symantec used to say this often and clearly. The newer stuff doesn't
have the statement included as it was considered an embarrassment. If you
know anyone who programs for Norton try to get them to talk about it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

In news:656C87B9-7627-4CE8-8FA4-CA87ABADF379@microsoft.com,
okiescott <okiescott@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> hello,
>
> i think outlook express 6 and norton internet security or norton
> antivirus are incompatible...at least something is wrong. i can't
> send or receive emails. i contacted cox intenernet service and they
> had me go through some things but i was only able to send and receive
> emails that one time. they said it had to do with norton antivirus.
> but, they could be wrong. i will also contact symantecs.
>
> can someone please give me some advice on how to get this back up and
> running? i will have to keep checking back, because the email doesn't
> work.
>
> thanks, scott

As I don't use Norton products I don't know HOW to do this but you probably
want to root around inside the application and disable the email scanning.
Disable anything email... You already have real-time protection with your AV
so any additional offerings tend to cause more problems than they're worth.
You're not the first to complain about this, most of the others had just
recently updated Norton when this happened.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 8:15:02 PM

hello bruce,

thanks for the help. i do get an error message. 0x800CCC19. i have tried
disabling the email filters on the norton antivirus...that didn't work. i
tried disabling norton antivirus and that didn't work.

what does work is if i disable norton internet security. but. that can't be
safe. i am self taught and this worries me.

i also checked outlook express and there is one thing that looks strange to
me. in outlook express it shows the "account" to be pop.central.cox.net and
the "server" is the same thing.... pop.central.cox.net.

shouldn't my email be the account?

my eyes are starting to glaze over... :)

i have been to the symantec site...and of course here. i do think this is a
symantec problem since i can get it to work when i disable the norton
internet security.

another thing that happens is if i have the norton internet security page up
and select the the logviewer then select connections it locks up and i have
to reboot the computer.

and one more thing....when i get online this comes up.

program tgcmd Module
program tgcmd.exe
path c:\Programfiles\Support.com\bin\

i have no idea what that is but i can't go on without selecting that it is ok.

i only mention these things because they may be related. but since i am self
taught i really don't know.

i haven't tried turning off the norton antispam. i guess i will give that a
shot while i wait to hear back.

thanks again, scott

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> Norton and OE do have many shortcomings. Do you get any error messages? I
> assume Cox went through your account settings. Turn of e-mail scanning and
> try. You will still be protected and this can cause problems.
>
> Error 0x800ccc0d or 0x800ccc0f or 0x800ccc19 when Receiving or Sending
> E-Mail
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514
>
> Turn off the e-mail scanning in your anti-virus.
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/pfdocs/200...
>
> You are still protected:
> http://snipurl.com/bmf6
>
> If you have an Anti-Spam program, that can also be the cause of the error.
>
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
> ~IB-CA~
>

> "okiescott" <okiescott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hello,
> >
> > i think outlook express 6 and norton internet security or norton antivirus
> > are incompatible...at least something is wrong. i can't send or receive
> > emails. i contacted cox intenernet service and they had me go through some
> > things but i was only able to send and receive emails that one time. they
> > said it had to do with norton antivirus. but, they could be wrong. i will
> > also contact symantecs.
> >
> > can someone please give me some advice on how to get this back up and
> > running? i will have to keep checking back, because the email doesn't
> > work.
> >
> > thanks, scott

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 8:19:02 PM

hello galen,

thanks for the help. i have tried disabling the norton email filters and it
didn't work. what does work is if i disable the norton internet security.
but, that can't be safe. and, i shouldn't have to do that. it worked
before... oh well.

if you don't use any norton products ...what do you use?

thanks again, scott

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:656C87B9-7627-4CE8-8FA4-CA87ABADF379@microsoft.com,
> okiescott <okiescott@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > hello,
> >
> > i think outlook express 6 and norton internet security or norton
> > antivirus are incompatible...at least something is wrong. i can't
> > send or receive emails. i contacted cox intenernet service and they
> > had me go through some things but i was only able to send and receive
> > emails that one time. they said it had to do with norton antivirus.
> > but, they could be wrong. i will also contact symantecs.
> >
> > can someone please give me some advice on how to get this back up and
> > running? i will have to keep checking back, because the email doesn't
> > work.
> >
> > thanks, scott
>
> As I don't use Norton products I don't know HOW to do this but you probably
> want to root around inside the application and disable the email scanning.
> Disable anything email... You already have real-time protection with your AV
> so any additional offerings tend to cause more problems than they're worth.
> You're not the first to complain about this, most of the others had just
> recently updated Norton when this happened.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 8:27:03 PM

hello frank,

thanks for the help.

so far the only thing that has worked is if i disable the norton internet
security. but that can't be safe. i am self taught and this is getting a
little rough for me. but, i learn more about it every time i try something
new. you mentioned the free AVG ... what is that? and where do i get it? i
will check a couple of your links to see what i can learn.

if you want you can look at the replies that i have made to the other kind
souls that have taken the time to try and help.

thanks again, scott

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> those layers. Even if you are not running Email Scanning, your computer is
> protected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments by NAV
> Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect will scan any incoming files, including email
> attachments, as they are saved to your hard drive. To make sure that
> Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep Auto-Protect enabled
> and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have the most recent virus
> definitions."
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf...
>
> See also
> http://help.expedient.com/mailnews/norton_antivirus.sht...
>
> So Symantec used to say this often and clearly. The newer stuff doesn't
> have the statement included as it was considered an embarrassment. If you
> know anyone who programs for Norton try to get them to talk about it.

July 31, 2005 8:56:58 PM

You don't need NIS. Get rid of it. All you need is a firewall and an
anti-virus. For the A/V, I would suggest:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

When prompted, choose Custom Installation and *uncheck* e-mail scanning when
you see the option.

Norton (and McAfee) products are not Outlook Express friendly, and I don't
know of any OE-MVP that would recommend using them.
--

> [...]
>> MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
>> ~IB-CA~
>>

>> "okiescott" <okiescott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hello,
>> >
>> > i think outlook express 6 and norton internet security or norton
>> > antivirus
>> > are incompatible...at least something is wrong. i can't send or receive
>> > emails. i contacted cox intenernet service and they had me go through
>> > some
>> > things but i was only able to send and receive emails that one time.
>> > they
>> > said it had to do with norton antivirus. but, they could be wrong. i
>> > will
>> > also contact symantecs.
>> >
>> > can someone please give me some advice on how to get this back up and
>> > running? i will have to keep checking back, because the email doesn't

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 11:24:38 PM

> hello frank,
>
> thanks for the help.
>
> so far the only thing that has worked is if i disable the norton
> internet security. but that can't be safe. i am self taught and this
> is getting a little rough for me. but, i learn more about it every
> time i try something new. you mentioned the free AVG ... what is
> that? and where do i get it? i will check a couple of your links to
> see what i can learn.
>
> if you want you can look at the replies that i have made to the other
> kind souls that have taken the time to try and help.
>
> thanks again, scott

See Alias' answer.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi Scott,

Disable (or better yet in my opinion remove) the products mentioned. From
there within OE, disable the Preview Pane via Layout then read and send only
in Plain Text.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"okiescott" <okiescott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> i think outlook express 6 and norton internet security or norton antivirus
> are incompatible...at least something is wrong. i can't send or receive
> emails. i contacted cox intenernet service and they had me go through some
> things but i was only able to send and receive emails that one time. they
> said it had to do with norton antivirus. but, they could be wrong. i will
> also contact symantecs.
>
> can someone please give me some advice on how to get this back up and
> running? i will have to keep checking back, because the email doesn't
> work.
>
> thanks, scott
August 1, 2005 5:25:02 AM

> hello galen,
>
> thanks for the help. i have tried disabling the norton email filters and
> it
> didn't work. what does work is if i disable the norton internet security.
> but, that can't be safe. and, i shouldn't have to do that. it worked
> before... oh well.
>
> if you don't use any norton products ...what do you use?
>
> thanks again, scott

Check out System Suite 5.0, available at www.v-com.com/ which uses Trend
Micro for an AV and Sygate for a firewall, but if you're looking for a free
option, AVG, www.grisoft.com for AV and Sygate, www.sygate.com for a
firewall.

Hope this helps,

Alias

> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:656C87B9-7627-4CE8-8FA4-CA87ABADF379@microsoft.com,
>> okiescott <okiescott@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>> > hello,
>> >
>> > i think outlook express 6 and norton internet security or norton
>> > antivirus are incompatible...at least something is wrong. i can't
>> > send or receive emails. i contacted cox intenernet service and they
>> > had me go through some things but i was only able to send and receive
>> > emails that one time. they said it had to do with norton antivirus.
>> > but, they could be wrong. i will also contact symantecs.
>> >
>> > can someone please give me some advice on how to get this back up and
>> > running? i will have to keep checking back, because the email doesn't
>> > work.
>> >
>> > thanks, scott
>>
>> As I don't use Norton products I don't know HOW to do this but you
>> probably
>> want to root around inside the application and disable the email
>> scanning.
>> Disable anything email... You already have real-time protection with your
>> AV
>> so any additional offerings tend to cause more problems than they're
>> worth.
>> You're not the first to complain about this, most of the others had just
>> recently updated Norton when this happened.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
>> without them."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

August 1, 2005 6:22:39 AM

In news:uadCUcilFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Alias <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> had this to say:

> "okiescott" <okiescott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> hello galen,
>>
>> thanks for the help. i have tried disabling the norton email filters
>> and it
>> didn't work. what does work is if i disable the norton internet
>> security. but, that can't be safe. and, i shouldn't have to do that.
>> it worked before... oh well.
>>
>> if you don't use any norton products ...what do you use?
>>
>> thanks again, scott
>
> Check out System Suite 5.0, available at www.v-com.com/ which uses
> Trend Micro for an AV and Sygate for a firewall, but if you're
> looking for a free option, AVG, www.grisoft.com for AV and Sygate,
> www.sygate.com for a firewall.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Alias
>>
>> "Galen" wrote:
>>
>>> In news:656C87B9-7627-4CE8-8FA4-CA87ABADF379@microsoft.com,
>>> okiescott <okiescott@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
>>>
>>> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

>>> As I don't use Norton products I don't know HOW to do this but you
>>> probably
>>> want to root around inside the application and disable the email
>>> scanning.
>>> Disable anything email... You already have real-time protection
>>> with your AV
>>> so any additional offerings tend to cause more problems than they're
>>> worth.
>>> You're not the first to complain about this, most of the others had
>>> just recently updated Norton when this happened.
>>>
>>> Galen
>>> --
>>>
>>> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
>>> without them."
>>>
>>> Sherlock Holmes

www.iolo.com has KAV which is what I use and recommend. It also has
Kaspersky Anti-Hacker which I am really fond of as it's effective and
simple.

The above offering from Alias is also good.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:14:26 PM

Your current Identity may have been damaged by NAV, especially if its the
default Main Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named
Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
messages from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
Identities).

OE Caveats:

Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

If WinXP SP2, don't attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown the
machine while Automatic Compacting is taking place.

Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

okiescott wrote:
> hello,
>
> i think outlook express 6 and norton internet security or norton antivirus
> are incompatible...at least something is wrong. i can't send or receive
> emails. i contacted cox intenernet service and they had me go through some
> things but i was only able to send and receive emails that one time. they
> said it had to do with norton antivirus. but, they could be wrong. i will
> also contact symantecs.
>
> can someone please give me some advice on how to get this back up and
> running? i will have to keep checking back, because the email doesn't
> work.
>
> thanks, scott
August 8, 2005 6:47:31 PM

I've had the same problem for almost a week! But mine is working now!

There have been a number of messages about this problem since mid-July, so
something changed either in Windows XP SP2 or perhaps it really is the
Norton's firewall? My computer became very slow to shutdown or to restart,
which is why I think it may have been an XP conflict?

Neither OE nor IncrediMail could connect to the ISP to download my e-mails.
I could read them on the Web Mail, but could not connect with either e-mail
program.

I got error messages # 0x800CCC19 and # 0x800CCC0D

Also I could even not post a "Reply" on this board - the java
something-or-other didn't seem to want to load.

I read all the messages on these newgroups I could find about this issue,
went to the Symantec site, tried to check my firewall settings (obviously
didn't do that part right), turned OFF Norton's Internet Security & AV, etc.
I even tried to restore the system to an earlier date --- still no luck,
and finally...

Since I could access the Web, I installed a new version of IncrediMail.
This apparently triggered the stupid firewall settings to ask permission for
IM to connect to the 'net. This permission granted, all is well again. I
haven't tired OE again yet.

What a pain! But since I had turned off ALL the Norton's stuff, could it
have been the Windows XP security/firewall that was preventing the
connection? I'm no computer guru, but it seems to me that XP just changes
things for no apparent reason. If XP is so smart, it ought to also be
"polite" and ask first!!!

Anyhow, my problem seems to be fixed, and I certainly am glad! Good luck to
those still looking for the solution.

Janice

"okiescott" wrote:

> hello,
>
> i think outlook express 6 and norton internet security or norton antivirus
> are incompatible...at least something is wrong. i can't send or receive
> emails. i contacted cox intenernet service and they had me go through some
> things but i was only able to send and receive emails that one time. they
> said it had to do with norton antivirus. but, they could be wrong. i will
> also contact symantecs.
>
> can someone please give me some advice on how to get this back up and
> running? i will have to keep checking back, because the email doesn't work.
>
> thanks, scott
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:00:35 AM

Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

<paste>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</paste>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002...

Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using OL and OE

Janice wrote:
> I've had the same problem for almost a week! But mine is working now!
>
> There have been a number of messages about this problem since mid-July, so
> something changed either in Windows XP SP2 or perhaps it really is the
> Norton's firewall? My computer became very slow to shutdown or to
> restart, which is why I think it may have been an XP conflict?
>
> Neither OE nor IncrediMail could connect to the ISP to download my
> e-mails. I could read them on the Web Mail, but could not connect with
> either e-mail program.
>
> I got error messages # 0x800CCC19 and # 0x800CCC0D
>
> Also I could even not post a "Reply" on this board - the java
> something-or-other didn't seem to want to load.
>
> I read all the messages on these newgroups I could find about this issue,
> went to the Symantec site, tried to check my firewall settings (obviously
> didn't do that part right), turned OFF Norton's Internet Security & AV,
> etc. I even tried to restore the system to an earlier date --- still no
> luck, and finally...
>
> Since I could access the Web, I installed a new version of IncrediMail.
> This apparently triggered the stupid firewall settings to ask permission
> for IM to connect to the 'net. This permission granted, all is well
> again. I haven't tired OE again yet.
>
> What a pain! But since I had turned off ALL the Norton's stuff, could it
> have been the Windows XP security/firewall that was preventing the
> connection? I'm no computer guru, but it seems to me that XP just changes
> things for no apparent reason. If XP is so smart, it ought to also be
> "polite" and ask first!!!
>
> Anyhow, my problem seems to be fixed, and I certainly am glad! Good luck
> to those still looking for the solution.
>
> Janice
>

> "okiescott" wrote:
>
> > hello,
> >
> > i think outlook express 6 and norton internet security or norton
> > antivirus are incompatible...at least something is wrong. i can't send
> > or receive emails. i contacted cox intenernet service and they had me
> > go through some things but i was only able to send and receive emails
> > that one time. they said it had to do with norton antivirus. but, they
> > could be wrong. i will also contact symantecs.
> >
> > can someone please give me some advice on how to get this back up and
> > running? i will have to keep checking back, because the email doesn't
> > work.
> >
> > thanks, scott
August 9, 2005 12:22:30 PM

Janice wrote:
> I've had the same problem for almost a week! But mine is working now!
>
> There have been a number of messages about this problem since
> mid-July, so something changed either in Windows XP SP2 or perhaps it
> really is the Norton's firewall?

Have you tried emptying your Temp and Temp Internet Files folders? Have you
done a recent scan with an updated AV and Spyware program?
Anonymous
June 7, 2012 11:57:32 AM

Thanks Bruce. :)  The practical advice here helped to save $130 for some dodgy utilities software off the net and endless surfing for solutions on the net that has taken me half a day. I had downloaded IOLO System mechanic Pro (SMP) 10.8 that has caused no end of problems and proceeded to prevent me from sending outlook mail. I was getting 0x800ccc0f error messages. The turning off of the email scanning in SMP's system shield has done the trick.

Quote:

!