Missing file

July 31, 2005 4:57:02 PM

I am missing an important file and I have tried to no success to retrieve it,
but unfortunately it's gone. The file name is IEXPLORE.EX27122324.pf. How
would I go about getting this file? Is there anyway to download it from
somewhere or something?

More about : missing file

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:38:29 PM

The file name is IEXPLORE.EXE-27122324.pf

Open Internet Explorer and it will be created in
%windir%\Prefetch
or
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D 5CA0A44-C43D-4E7C-A402-322825EA85DA@microsoft.com,
sandra <sandra@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I am missing an important file and I have tried to no success to retrieve
> it, but unfortunately it's gone. The file name is
> IEXPLORE.EX27122324.pf. How would I go about getting this file? Is
> there anyway to download it from somewhere or something?
July 31, 2005 6:38:30 PM

Nope didn't work.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> The file name is IEXPLORE.EXE-27122324.pf
>
> Open Internet Explorer and it will be created in
> %windir%\Prefetch
> or
> C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:D 5CA0A44-C43D-4E7C-A402-322825EA85DA@microsoft.com,
> sandra <sandra@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I am missing an important file and I have tried to no success to retrieve
> > it, but unfortunately it's gone. The file name is
> > IEXPLORE.EX27122324.pf. How would I go about getting this file? Is
> > there anyway to download it from somewhere or something?

July 31, 2005 7:42:51 PM

Sandra,

Do you have a Prefetch folder?

Paste this in Start | Run and then click OK.

%windir%\Prefetch

Are there any files in the folder?

If no?
Do you have some sort of a utility like Windows XP Prefetch Clean And
Control, Download Cleanup, Clean Prefetch.bat, Security CD Scanning Script
v1.01 or TuneXP that cleans out the Prefetch folder?

Are these services set to Automatic and running?
System Event Notification
Task Scheduler

Open Services...
Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
Scroll down to and double click System Event Notification |
Under Startup type make sure it's set to Automatic | Click Apply |
Click the Start button | When it starts click OK

Scroll down to and double click Task Scheduler |
Under Startup type make sure it's set to Automatic | Click Apply |
Click the Start button | When it starts click OK

Close Services.

Open the Registry Editor...
Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK
Navigate to >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management\PrefetchParameters

Look for EnablePrefetcher in the right pane, if the value is not 3,
Double click EnablePrefetcher and change the value to 3.

Exit regedit

This will take effect on next reboot.
It will take three boots to rebuild the Prefetch file.

If for some reason layout.ini {C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\layout.ini} does not get
recreated after three boots, try this:
Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK

Type or paste this in:

rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Hit Enter and let it run.

The layout.ini should be rebuilt.

Open regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
In the right hand pane, OptimizeComplete does it say Yes?

If not...
Set the LcnStartLocation to 0 (zero) and the LcnEndLocation to 0 (zero)

Run
rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
again.

Or run defrag c: -boot if Windows is on the C: drive.

You can force a boot optimization by doing the following:
Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
Type or paste this in:

defrag c: -boot

Hit Enter

This time running defrag may take longer.

Again open regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
OptimizeComplete Yes?
LcnStartLocation
LcnEndLocation

Have the values changed from 0?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3FADCF6C-E536-4E0D-AD96-B2FDA96167BA@microsoft.com,
sandra <sandra@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Nope didn't work.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> The file name is IEXPLORE.EXE-27122324.pf
>>
>> Open Internet Explorer and it will be created in
>> %windir%\Prefetch
>> or
>> C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:D 5CA0A44-C43D-4E7C-A402-322825EA85DA@microsoft.com,
>> sandra <sandra@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I am missing an important file and I have tried to no success to
>>> retrieve it, but unfortunately it's gone. The file name is
>>> IEXPLORE.EX27122324.pf. How would I go about getting this file? Is
>>> there anyway to download it from somewhere or something?
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:15:58 AM

Hi

That is a file from the Prefetch folder. How do you know it's missing?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"sandra" <sandra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 5CA0A44-C43D-4E7C-A402-322825EA85DA@microsoft.com...
>I am missing an important file and I have tried to no success to retrieve
>it,
> but unfortunately it's gone. The file name is IEXPLORE.EX27122324.pf.
> How
> would I go about getting this file? Is there anyway to download it from
> somewhere or something?
August 1, 2005 1:15:59 AM

Because when I run my one button check in Norton it tells me that it's
missing. Also everytime I go offline, an error message comes up.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> That is a file from the Prefetch folder. How do you know it's missing?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "sandra" <sandra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 5CA0A44-C43D-4E7C-A402-322825EA85DA@microsoft.com...
> >I am missing an important file and I have tried to no success to retrieve
> >it,
> > but unfortunately it's gone. The file name is IEXPLORE.EX27122324.pf.
> > How
> > would I go about getting this file? Is there anyway to download it from
> > somewhere or something?

August 1, 2005 2:56:20 AM

Make sure Task Scheduler is set to Automatic then,

Go to Start/Run and paste this line in:
rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"sandra" <sandra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 5CA0A44-C43D-4E7C-A402-322825EA85DA@microsoft.com...
>I am missing an important file and I have tried to no success to retrieve
>it,
> but unfortunately it's gone. The file name is IEXPLORE.EX27122324.pf.
> How
> would I go about getting this file? Is there anyway to download it from
> somewhere or something?
August 1, 2005 2:56:52 AM

On my systems, Norton is missing.

--

> Because when I run my one button check in Norton it tells me that it's
> missing. Also everytime I go offline, an error message comes up.
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> That is a file from the Prefetch folder. How do you know it's missing?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "sandra" <sandra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 5CA0A44-C43D-4E7C-A402-322825EA85DA@microsoft.com...
>> >I am missing an important file and I have tried to no success to
>> >retrieve
>> >it,
>> > but unfortunately it's gone. The file name is IEXPLORE.EX27122324.pf.
>> > How
>> > would I go about getting this file? Is there anyway to download it
>> > from
>> > somewhere or something?

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 9:03:36 AM

Just me probably Kelly, but I clear that folder out every now and again. It
doesn't seem to speed up loading programs much here.

--

> Make sure Task Scheduler is set to Automatic then,
>
> Go to Start/Run and paste this line in:
> rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
>

> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "sandra" <sandra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 5CA0A44-C43D-4E7C-A402-322825EA85DA@microsoft.com...
>>I am missing an important file and I have tried to no success to retrieve
>>it,
>> but unfortunately it's gone. The file name is IEXPLORE.EX27122324.pf.
>> How
>> would I go about getting this file? Is there anyway to download it from
>> somewhere or something?

August 1, 2005 9:03:37 AM

No need to clear it, Will. It will replenish in three days anyway. As for
the outcome, it does serve its purpose and you would notice it and will one
day when the proper setup comes into play for you. :o )

The only reason to clear it at times and a very important one that many
users forget to do and cleaner programs forget to add both via program and
write-up is that many viruses, etc place themselves there.

--

> Just me probably Kelly, but I clear that folder out every now and again.
> It doesn't seem to speed up loading programs much here.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups

>> Make sure Task Scheduler is set to Automatic then,
>>
>> Go to Start/Run and paste this line in:
>> rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
>>

>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "sandra" <sandra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 5CA0A44-C43D-4E7C-A402-322825EA85DA@microsoft.com...
>>>I am missing an important file and I have tried to no success to retrieve
>>>it,
>>> but unfortunately it's gone. The file name is IEXPLORE.EX27122324.pf.
>>> How
>>> would I go about getting this file? Is there anyway to download it from
>>> somewhere or something?

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 9:46:35 AM

As I say, it's probably just me, but I haven't personally found any
advantage from that folder. I'll have to do a few tests and see what, if
any, the difference is.

--

news:o 8bJTFllFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> No need to clear it, Will. It will replenish in three days anyway. As
> for the outcome, it does serve its purpose and you would notice it and
> will one day when the proper setup comes into play for you. :o )
>
> The only reason to clear it at times and a very important one that many
> users forget to do and cleaner programs forget to add both via program and
> write-up is that many viruses, etc place themselves there.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

>> Just me probably Kelly, but I clear that folder out every now and again.
>> It doesn't seem to speed up loading programs much here.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Make sure Task Scheduler is set to Automatic then,
>>>
>>> Go to Start/Run and paste this line in:
>>> rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> All the Best,
>>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>>

>>> "sandra" <sandra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D 5CA0A44-C43D-4E7C-A402-322825EA85DA@microsoft.com...

August 1, 2005 9:46:36 AM

Any many won't and don't. Not a biggie. :o )

--

news:o nzPBQllFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> As I say, it's probably just me, but I haven't personally found any
> advantage from that folder. I'll have to do a few tests and see what, if
> any, the difference is.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups

> news:o 8bJTFllFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> No need to clear it, Will. It will replenish in three days anyway. As
>> for the outcome, it does serve its purpose and you would notice it and
>> will one day when the proper setup comes into play for you. :o )
>>
>> The only reason to clear it at times and a very important one that many
>> users forget to do and cleaner programs forget to add both via program
>> and write-up is that many viruses, etc place themselves there.
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Just me probably Kelly, but I clear that folder out every now and again.
>>> It doesn't seem to speed up loading programs much here.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Will Denny
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>>

>>> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 3:04:33 PM

<ROTFL>

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ukQMP0klFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> On my systems, Norton is missing.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "sandra" <sandra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Because when I run my one button check in Norton it tells me that it's
>> missing. Also everytime I go offline, an error message comes up.
>>
>> "Will Denny" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> That is a file from the Prefetch folder. How do you know it's missing?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Will Denny
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the News Groups