Unable to Burn DVDs

Digitalis

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2005
Hi All,
I'm new here.... So please forgive me! I'm trying to back up data onto DVD's with nero 6.... When I try to burn nero locks up at "Checking Disc" and doesn't go any further. I can burn CD's ok and I initially thought that the laser was a bit dodgy so I tried with a different DVD burner and with the same problem.
I suspected my media was corrupt, so I tried with a re-writeable disk - but that too failed. Attempting to drag and drop from windows explorer also fails as well....

Any Ideas as I'm loosing paitence. I could do this before but now..... Hmmmm

I'm using XP, a Pioneer 4x Single Layer burner, tried a Sony 4x Single Layer burner and Nero 6...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Digitalis on 09/25/05 10:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
I actually just had a similar problem. I would suggest updating the firmware on your drives first like I had to do. If that doesn't fix it then it could be the brand of media you are using. What brands and type of media are you using?

joe_tlj

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
The ideal trouble shooting process is in a controled environment. Having the different dvd drives hooked up to the same PC and testing media without keeping track of it is not a controled environment. You need one working DVD burner in a working PC with working media. Nero's multisesion will let you re-use working media. Then you can work your way through what's working and what isn't one part at a time. If you can't get to this controled state, you need the start making asumtions as to what's wrong. You should start with the cheapest asumtions or in this order: software, conections, media, windows, burner.

To check software: if you can download some nice little live linux distro, you can tell very quickly if you have a software problem by burning a DVD while in linux. Otherwise you should check the ide driver and nero. DON'T MESS WITH THE ASPI DRIVER! That's a nice way to lose CD burning as well.

To check the connection: Buy a new ata133 cable or use an existing cable you know to work.

To check the drive: So far we know it reads & writes CDs, that it doesn't burn DVDs and don't know if it read's DVDs.

To check the media: If you buy new media from a non-generic brandname, there's basically no need to test it.

And before giving up on the drive try doing an upgrade install of windows. Just read up un it first.

I'm sure I've left something out of my advice but i'll stop here.

Kill the free variable! Death to X5! There is only the trivial solution. We will be independent!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by joe_tlj on 09/25/05 05:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Digitalis

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2005
Thanks for the help guys, I ended up reformatting my HDD and installing a fresh copy of XP. All working fine now.