I'm having a peculiar problem. In the last couple of days, my XP install
started to hang when any program launched. When I launched a program, the
CPU would ramp up to 100% for a while until, eventually, the program
launched. Once the program was running successfully, everything was fine and
there were no CPU issues.

Now, today, I can get into XP fine, but programs are simply not launching
any more. They're showing up in task manager, but they rarely load more than
5-6MB into memory and never finish loading. The CPU doesn't peg, and the
drive doesn't spin; the program simply stops loading. A few programs DO
load: Windows Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Trillian, the Add/Remove Programs
app (though some uninstallers will not load because of this problem),
sysinternals.com Process Explorer... There's no obvious pattern.

There also aren't any events in the Event Viewer that appear relevant.

I'm competent to troubleshoot and fix just about any problem on this beast,
but this one has been puzzled. A clue where to look would be nice.

Oh, and I didn't change any settings or install any programs that would
cause this. Near as I can tell, it's doing this entirely on its own.

Thanks for any help.

Hi

Although some programs seem to be loading please go to Doug Knox's web site
and try the fix for .EXE files:

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"svictim" <svictim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a peculiar problem. In the last couple of days, my XP install
> started to hang when any program launched. When I launched a program, the
> CPU would ramp up to 100% for a while until, eventually, the program
> launched. Once the program was running successfully, everything was fine
> and
> there were no CPU issues.
>
> Now, today, I can get into XP fine, but programs are simply not launching
> any more. They're showing up in task manager, but they rarely load more
> than
> 5-6MB into memory and never finish loading. The CPU doesn't peg, and the
> drive doesn't spin; the program simply stops loading. A few programs DO
> load: Windows Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Trillian, the Add/Remove Programs
> app (though some uninstallers will not load because of this problem),
> sysinternals.com Process Explorer... There's no obvious pattern.
>
> There also aren't any events in the Event Viewer that appear relevant.
>
> I'm competent to troubleshoot and fix just about any problem on this
> beast,
> but this one has been puzzled. A clue where to look would be nice.
>
> Oh, and I didn't change any settings or install any programs that would
> cause this. Near as I can tell, it's doing this entirely on its own.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Didn't have any effect. I thought it might be my personal firewall software
conflicting with software loading, but I've unloaded KPF (and turned the
service to "manual"), rebooted, verified that it is not running, and the
problem still happens with some software.

For example, Microsoft Outlook just launched, but Mozilla Thunderbird
stopped loading at ~5MB. Firefox would not launch from Explorer (start menu,
desktop, WIN-R), but Firefox loaded fine when I double-clicked a mailbox in
Trillian. Internet Explorer won't launch (also hangs up around 5MB), but I
can successfully use Windows Explorer to browse the Internet. Microsoft Word
opens, but Picasa will not (hangs at ~6MB). This is a weird problem.

kelly

Start here:

Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

Free Online Virus Scan

Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

Good luck and keep us posted!

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"svictim" <svictim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a peculiar problem. In the last couple of days, my XP install
> started to hang when any program launched. When I launched a program, the
> CPU would ramp up to 100% for a while until, eventually, the program
> launched. Once the program was running successfully, everything was fine
> and
> there were no CPU issues.
>
> Now, today, I can get into XP fine, but programs are simply not launching
> any more. They're showing up in task manager, but they rarely load more
> than
> 5-6MB into memory and never finish loading. The CPU doesn't peg, and the
> drive doesn't spin; the program simply stops loading. A few programs DO
> load: Windows Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Trillian, the Add/Remove Programs
> app (though some uninstallers will not load because of this problem),
> sysinternals.com Process Explorer... There's no obvious pattern.
>
> There also aren't any events in the Event Viewer that appear relevant.
>
> I'm competent to troubleshoot and fix just about any problem on this
> beast,
> but this one has been puzzled. A clue where to look would be nice.
>
> Oh, and I didn't change any settings or install any programs that would
> cause this. Near as I can tell, it's doing this entirely on its own.
>
> Thanks for any help.

jonah

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:43:46 -0700, "svictim"
<svictim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Didn't have any effect. I thought it might be my personal firewall software
>conflicting with software loading, but I've unloaded KPF (and turned the
>service to "manual"), rebooted, verified that it is not running, and the
>problem still happens with some software.
>
>For example, Microsoft Outlook just launched, but Mozilla Thunderbird
>stopped loading at ~5MB. Firefox would not launch from Explorer (start menu,
>desktop, WIN-R), but Firefox loaded fine when I double-clicked a mailbox in
>Trillian. Internet Explorer won't launch (also hangs up around 5MB), but I
>can successfully use Windows Explorer to browse the Internet. Microsoft Word
>opens, but Picasa will not (hangs at ~6MB). This is a weird problem.

Thats a very interesting problem (not from your point of view
unfortunately), never heard of that before.

I think I would be suspecting OS corruption #1 or possible malware #2

First I would try a system restore point (could be registry problems
/ corruption). Then I would go for a full virus scan in safe mode
(just to be sure its not malware of some kind, I doubt it is). Then I
would do a System File Check.

http://www.petri.co.il/what's_system_file_checker.htm

Then I would run HDD scans to check the drive out.

Then I would install last weeks C Drive Backup (which you have don't
you?)

If that did not work I would swear a lot and try a repair install.

Finally I would wipe the drive in a fit of anger and vow to ditch M$
and convert everything to Linux despite the fact that I am struggling
with Redhat on my Laptop, but end up doing a full re-install of
Windows anyway.

Please enlighten me as to what was wrong when you find it I am curious
now.

Good Luck

Jonah