ntldr is missing in Windows XP

Hi There,

When i started up my PC today i was told that NTLDR is missing, on the help
and support pages the replies relate to Windows 2000. I found a fix on the
knowledge base saying to create a boot disk and then install service pack 2,
but i was unable to find the required file boot.ini to go along with the
NTLDR and NTDETECT files on the boot up disk. So i am a bit stumped what to
do now.

If you could give me an idiots guide on how to resolve this i would be very
grateful.
--
Cheers

Graeme Anderson
2 answers Last reply
More about ntldr missing windows

    Hi

    Try this:

    Boot with your XP CD in the cd drive. Select 'To repair..' by pressing 'R'.
    When in the Recovery Console type the following:

    "copy X:\i386\ntldr C:\" - without the quotes.

    Where X is the letter of your CD drive and C is the letter of your system
    drive. Take the XP CD out of the cd drive and reboot into XP normally.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Graeme Anderson" <GraemeAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:ED303DA5-A965-425E-B1D1-66F8ABDC0888@microsoft.com...
    > Hi There,
    >
    > When i started up my PC today i was told that NTLDR is missing, on the
    > help
    > and support pages the replies relate to Windows 2000. I found a fix on the
    > knowledge base saying to create a boot disk and then install service pack
    > 2,
    > but i was unable to find the required file boot.ini to go along with the
    > NTLDR and NTDETECT files on the boot up disk. So i am a bit stumped what
    > do now.
    >
    > If you could give me an idiots guide on how to resolve this i would be
    > very
    > grateful.
    > --
    > Cheers
    >
    > Graeme Anderson

    Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
    When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
    Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
    Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing
    enter.
    You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that
    password.
    Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk.
    In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive
    letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

    copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

    Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD
    from the computer and reboot.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Graeme Anderson wrote:

    > Hi There,
    >
    > When i started up my PC today i was told that NTLDR is missing, on the help
    > and support pages the replies relate to Windows 2000. I found a fix on the
    > knowledge base saying to create a boot disk and then install service pack 2,
    > but i was unable to find the required file boot.ini to go along with the
    > NTLDR and NTDETECT files on the boot up disk. So i am a bit stumped what to
    > do now.
    >
    > If you could give me an idiots guide on how to resolve this i would be very
    > grateful.

Boot Ntldr Windows XP