4GB of Ram or go with 2GB?

Prez

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
Ok I have been researching into building a system. I will game on it and use it for web/graphic design.

I am going with:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model
SUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
2 6800GT cards running in SLI mode

Now should I go with 4GB of Ram or 2Gb of ram? If I go with 2GB should I get it in 4 dimms or 2? I am a bit confused that if I go with only 2GB that each core of the processor would only have 1GB and if I went with 4GB each core would have 2GB. Is that how this would work or am I way off base? I want to be able to build this system and not have to touch it for a couple years except for maybe chnage a processor when the toledos come down in price.

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
2x1024MB is better. 4GB right now is overkill.

The processor can divide tasks between multiple cores, however,the memory is not divided between cores (I think)

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"My Memory is not working today"
<font color=blue>AIM SoCaliCrowley

Prez

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
Ok I just thought since 2 of the ram sockets on the board where black and 2 where blue that it was divided up between cores.

I will go with just the 2GB for now. I can always add more in the future when RAM is even cheaper then. Maybe when the Toledos come down in price I will do that and the more RAM. Always other options i guess. :) Thanks for the help guys.

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
The memory modules are split between two memory-channels. Instead of 64-bits for a single channel the memory bandwidth is doubled to 128-bits.

In your case, 1GB goes in the first BLUE-socket. And the second 1GB stick goes in the first BLACK-socket.

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"My Memory is not working today"
<font color=blue>AIM SoCaliCrowley

Prez

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
Thats a ton for the tips guys and to you wusy for the GPU information. I looked into it for a bit and you are ver right. that 7800GTX is a mean card. I went with one of those instead of two 6800GT,s. In the future I can always ad another 7800GTX if things fall behind.