PC3200 or PC4000

barnster706

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2005
Hi all,

I am looking to build a new system. I look to get an Athlon 64 3200+ and 2GB of memory (2x1024) on a DFI LANParty NF4 SLI-DR. I want to overclock it and look for the best performance. I am not too concerned with price. I want best performance. I want the 2GB and not 1GB for big games now and in the future that would use it.

So question is: What is the best 2GB memory for overclocking? Is it alright to get the ddr500 or do I have to get ddr400?

dhlucke

Polypheme
Your question is simple. You want the higher rated DDR since it will allow for higher frequencies thus leading to a better overclock.

I run PC4400 for example. It's probably a bit overkill but what it allows me to do is run at a high frequency and tight timings.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Alternatively, if you didn't get the faster memory you could run with a memory divider with your motherboard. If money is no object though get the better memory instead.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OCZ just introduced some...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, ask them to send me a pair.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

barnster706

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2005
Thanks for the quick replies. I think I will go with the higher frequency memory. And from doing searches on the different websites, I agree....2x1GB memory isn't that popular. I also noticed the timings are a bit slower than 512MB. Is this a big impact?

I really want the extra memory to plan for the few games that may use it now and down the road.
Thanks