How do I get rid of Norton?

I've got a couple of Dell machines which came with Norton, and am
trying to remove it to install McAfee. Even though I've removed all
3-4 of the norton apps (security center, virus scanner, livereg,
liveupdate), and removed their entries with startup.cpl, I still have
ccevtmgr and ccsetmgr showing up in my processes.

Is there an app to tear out all the Norton dreck? This is more
insidious than a lot of malware! Grrrr....

Thanks!

"William P. N. Smith" wrote:

> I've got a couple of Dell machines which came with Norton, and am
> trying to remove it to install McAfee. Even though I've removed all
> 3-4 of the norton apps (security center, virus scanner, livereg,
> liveupdate), and removed their entries with startup.cpl, I still have
> ccevtmgr and ccsetmgr showing up in my processes.
>
> Is there an app to tear out all the Norton dreck? This is more
> insidious than a lot of malware! Grrrr....

Have a look at http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606.

Notan

Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>Have a look at http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606.

Thanks, Notan! Looks like SymNRT is going to be just the ticket!

Norton Anti-Virus and friends do embed themselves very well into the bowels of
Windows, and the uninstall of most any Symantec program is an imperfect task.
Are ccevtmgr and ccsetmgr running processes, or do they show up in Task Manager
as stopped? Processes get defined and started up via registry entries, so you
may have to use regedit to clean all the gunk out. Also, look in the Program
Files folders for any Norton Anti-Virus entries and delete manually.

Last week, I had to work on one of my client's computers and ended up clearing
out all the Norton junk from the registry with regedit.

Today, when I uninstalled a copy of McAfee from a client's computer because a
Trojan or worm had mangled it up, the uninstall left only one innocuous entry
behind in the registry... Ben Myers

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> I've got a couple of Dell machines which came with Norton, and am
> trying to remove it to install McAfee. Even though I've removed all
> 3-4 of the norton apps (security center, virus scanner, livereg,
> liveupdate), and removed their entries with startup.cpl, I still have
> ccevtmgr and ccsetmgr showing up in my processes.
>
> Is there an app to tear out all the Norton dreck? This is more
> insidious than a lot of malware! Grrrr....
>
> Thanks!

Did you download their uninstaller from the Symantec website?

Good luck with whatever alternative you choose. Whatever product you
choose, it will be a step backward from the protection provided by Norton
Internet Security.

Bobby

I would disagree with the assertion that Norton products are superior to any
other on the market today. A quick review of the various publications and
their associated websites will show that products like Zone Alarm, AVG
Anti-Virus, Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware are as good as, if not
better than anything Symantec currently produces. Not to mention having the
virtue of being free of charge for most of the applications.

It is common knowledge that Norton products are resource hogs of the first
water and are, in many installations, causing more problems than they fix.
I would never suggest their use.

> <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
>> I've got a couple of Dell machines which came with Norton, and am
>> trying to remove it to install McAfee. Even though I've removed all
>> 3-4 of the norton apps (security center, virus scanner, livereg,
>> liveupdate), and removed their entries with startup.cpl, I still have
>> ccevtmgr and ccsetmgr showing up in my processes.
>>
>> Is there an app to tear out all the Norton dreck? This is more
>> insidious than a lot of malware! Grrrr....
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Did you download their uninstaller from the Symantec website?
>
> Good luck with whatever alternative you choose. Whatever product you
> choose, it will be a step backward from the protection provided by Norton
> Internet Security.
>
> Bobby

Johnny

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:08:03 -0400, wrote:

> I've got a couple of Dell machines which came with Norton, and am
> trying to remove it to install McAfee. Even though I've removed all
> 3-4 of the norton apps (security center, virus scanner, livereg,
> liveupdate), and removed their entries with startup.cpl, I still have
> ccevtmgr and ccsetmgr showing up in my processes.
>
> Is there an app to tear out all the Norton dreck? This is more
> insidious than a lot of malware! Grrrr....
>
> Thanks!

I don't know why you'd prefer McAfee. Mine came preloaded with McAfee and
it wouldn't allow legitimate programs (such as nmap) run without
configuring McAfee to allow it to run. I removed McAfee and installed
Norton. As a matter of fact, I had to edit the registry to completely
remove McAfee. I had to edit the registry for other "removed" programs
also. So, it's not just a Norton issue. You'll probably have to remove all
registry entries for Norton - if you know what you're doing - but I highly
recommend that you back it up first!

bill

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> I've got a couple of Dell machines which came with Norton, and am
> trying to remove it to install McAfee. Even though I've removed all
> 3-4 of the norton apps (security center, virus scanner, livereg,
> liveupdate), and removed their entries with startup.cpl, I still have
> ccevtmgr and ccsetmgr showing up in my processes.
>
> Is there an app to tear out all the Norton dreck? This is more
> insidious than a lot of malware! Grrrr....
>
> Thanks!

Here is what you do:

You yell "Get out of here Norton" real loud, wave your arms, pound your fist,
and say "to the moon." He pulls down his hat, turns quickly with a scared
look, and runs upstairs!

for those of a certain age.

Or you could do what I did to remove Norton 2002:

I first used the uninstall program that was in the Norton directory and then,
after rebooting, had to go back and use XP's add/remove programs to get rid of
the remains. That seemed to work.

Bill

And I would argue equally strongly your assertion that Norton products are
Resource hogs.
They are not. On a healthy system, they have no impact on system
performance. A quick review of the Processes tab under Task Manager will
prove to anyone with Norton install that it does not take up any more
resources than any other application (of any kind).

Bobby

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

> And I would argue equally strongly your assertion that Norton products are
> Resource hogs.
> They are not. On a healthy system, they have no impact on system
> performance. A quick review of the Processes tab under Task Manager will
> prove to anyone with Norton install that it does not take up any more
> resources than any other application (of any kind).
>
> <snip>

I remember this discussion from another thread and, if I remember correctly,
you were the only poster that didn't believe Norton products to be resource
hogs.

Either you're right, or *everyone* else is wrong! <g>

Notan

"Either you're right, or *everyone* else is wrong! <g>"

"If loving you is wrong, I don't wanna be right."
- Luther Ingram

Die, useless thread, die!

Ted Zieglar

Ted Zieglar wrote:

> "Either you're right, or *everyone* else is wrong! <g>"
>
> <snip>

Wait a second... That didn't make *any* sense! (Kinda like,
"Heads I win, tails you lose!)

It should've been, "If you're right, then *everyone* else
is wrong!

On *that* note, goodnight! <g>

Notan

> "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
>>
>> And I would argue equally strongly your assertion that Norton products
>> are
>> Resource hogs.
>> They are not. On a healthy system, they have no impact on system
>> performance. A quick review of the Processes tab under Task Manager will
>> prove to anyone with Norton install that it does not take up any more
>> resources than any other application (of any kind).
>>
>> <snip>
>
> I remember this discussion from another thread and, if I remember
> correctly,
> you were the only poster that didn't believe Norton products to be
> resource
> hogs.
>
> Either you're right, or *everyone* else is wrong! <g>
>
> Notan

Can you, or any of the other posters, provide *any* proof that they are
reserving resources?
Can you provide a single example of how any Norton product is taking any
resources away from the system? Can you provide any evidence of loss of
memory space or any other consequence of Norton?

Have you ever read a magazine article that demonstrated any support of the
"resource hog" allegation?

Have you ever found a website that can prove that resources are lost when a
Norton product is installed?

Bobby

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 04:26:39 GMT, "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net>
wrote:

>"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>> "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
>>>
>>> And I would argue equally strongly your assertion that Norton products
>>> are
>>> Resource hogs.
>>> They are not. On a healthy system, they have no impact on system
>>> performance. A quick review of the Processes tab under Task Manager will
>>> prove to anyone with Norton install that it does not take up any more
>>> resources than any other application (of any kind).
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>
>> I remember this discussion from another thread and, if I remember
>> correctly,
>> you were the only poster that didn't believe Norton products to be
>> resource
>> hogs.
>>
>> Either you're right, or *everyone* else is wrong! <g>
>>
>> Notan
>
>Can you, or any of the other posters, provide *any* proof that they are
>reserving resources?
>Can you provide a single example of how any Norton product is taking any
>resources away from the system? Can you provide any evidence of loss of
>memory space or any other consequence of Norton?
>
>Have you ever read a magazine article that demonstrated any support of the
>"resource hog" allegation?
>
>Have you ever found a website that can prove that resources are lost when a
>Norton product is installed?
>

>Bobby

Cnet.com for starters but there are others (google websites for
"Norton resource hog").

Personally I had Norton stuff on my machine and after a year or so
(admittedly I installed more software than Dell had given me), it
started to cause crashes every few months. I put up with it and most
of the time I was able to fix the crashes with little fuss but the
last crash it was difficult to fix and that's when I decided no more
Norton stuff. I don't know explicitly how I got rid of all Norton
files but my system is clean of Norton and it hasn't crashed since.

I got suspicious about Norton stuff when I read many threads (not just
one) that claimed Norton was hogging their resources. I will post
another post to the OP how I think he can get rid of Norton files tho
I don't recall if I did this now to rid my system of them (I think it
took me a while of trying different combination of things to make it
clean).

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:08:03 -0400, William P. N. Smith <> wrote:

>I've got a couple of Dell machines which came with Norton, and am
>trying to remove it to install McAfee. Even though I've removed all
>3-4 of the norton apps (security center, virus scanner, livereg,
>liveupdate), and removed their entries with startup.cpl, I still have
>ccevtmgr and ccsetmgr showing up in my processes.
>
>Is there an app to tear out all the Norton dreck? This is more
>insidious than a lot of malware! Grrrr....
>
>Thanks!

I agree with you that Norton isn't worth keeping (at least that was my
experience then and now).

I don't recall how I got rid of all its files (I think I took a while
of trying to get rid of it before successfully doing it) but this is
what I'd do for starters... go to Administrative tools and then to
component services and if it's listed in there, disable it. Then go
to the Norton website and see if they tell you how to get rid of them.
If not, then install another virus program and tell it to scan your
system. It might find the Norton files and rid your pc of them (not
sure on this but its worth trying). You could also try Webroot
spysweeper to scan your system and see if it finds them (again not
sure on this). Of course you could go into your registry and
eliminate them manually if you're brave (don't do this unless you
think you can and regardless, backup your registry or whole system
first just in case).

NoNoBadDog! wrote:

> And I would argue equally strongly your assertion that Norton products are
> Resource hogs.
> They are not. On a healthy system, they have no impact on system
> performance. A quick review of the Processes tab under Task Manager will
> prove to anyone with Norton install that it does not take up any more
> resources than any other application (of any kind).
>
> Bobby

Well since Norton isn't exactlly free but the alternatives previously
mentioned are, why don't you install them and post your results (I'll
set up a web server to host your screen shots if you fon't have web space).

My guess is that maybe AVG, ZoneAlarm, SpyBot & Ad-Aware all running
simultaneously may be close to Norton running a scan, but in normal use
(just the AVG & ZoneAlarm running residently) will be significantly less
than all of Norton's resident processes. Feel free to prove me wrong
(I'd check myself but I don't exactly feel like paying for Norton).

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> I've got a couple of Dell machines which came with Norton, and am
> trying to remove it to install McAfee. Even though I've removed all
> 3-4 of the norton apps (security center, virus scanner, livereg,
> liveupdate), and removed their entries with startup.cpl, I still have
> ccevtmgr and ccsetmgr showing up in my processes.
>
> Is there an app to tear out all the Norton dreck? This is more
> insidious than a lot of malware! Grrrr....
>
> Thanks!

Sadly, add/remove programs, manually remove remaining folders, and
regedit......

These products should be a *help* to the end user and an advocate of "less
is more" in their applications. Just the opposite is true, imo.

Norton and McAfee are drinking deeply from the well of 'bigger and
convoluted is better'.

The software equivalent of most vendor "All In One" pscf machines...

Stew

Norton has some special cleaners on their support website. But even
after using them on 2 pc's to completely get rid of NAV and NIS I
still had to manually clean out some registry entries. I now use ESET
NOD32 and ZoneAlarm Pro on both pc's - this combo runs significantly
faster (and with fewer problems) than NAV+NIS.

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> I've got a couple of Dell machines which came with Norton, and am
> trying to remove it to install McAfee. Even though I've removed all
> 3-4 of the norton apps (security center, virus scanner, livereg,
> liveupdate), and removed their entries with startup.cpl, I still
> have
> ccevtmgr and ccsetmgr showing up in my processes.
>
> Is there an app to tear out all the Norton dreck? This is more
> insidious than a lot of malware! Grrrr....

Spybot and Ad-Aware (at least the free version) do not launch any processes or
background programs. Generally, I advise people to run them when they see
strange symptoms on their computers. As a result, they do not use system
memory on an on-going basis, but they also do not intervene in real-time to
thwart the Trojans, adbots or whatever.

Although I have no empirical measurements to back up an assertion, I would claim
that the combo of AVG and ZoneAlarm (EXCELLENT software! The best firewall!)
would hog less memory than the Norton security package.

Because people are still quarreling about the definitions of spyware, adbots,
trojans and other malware, the effectiveness of different packages varies in the
ability to detect and remove the junk. No matter what, running two or more
software packages seems to have better results than relying on one.

After my recent escapades in removing Norton Anti-Virus, I can assure everyone
that it really gets its little hooks onto the soft underbelly of Windows, namely
the registry and the SYSTEM32 folder. It does not uninstall easily... Ben Myers

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:49:00 GMT, Nicholas Andrade <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com>
wrote:

>NoNoBadDog! wrote:
>
>> And I would argue equally strongly your assertion that Norton products are
>> Resource hogs.
>> They are not. On a healthy system, they have no impact on system
>> performance. A quick review of the Processes tab under Task Manager will
>> prove to anyone with Norton install that it does not take up any more
>> resources than any other application (of any kind).
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>Well since Norton isn't exactlly free but the alternatives previously
>mentioned are, why don't you install them and post your results (I'll
>set up a web server to host your screen shots if you fon't have web space).
>
>My guess is that maybe AVG, ZoneAlarm, SpyBot & Ad-Aware all running
>simultaneously may be close to Norton running a scan, but in normal use
>(just the AVG & ZoneAlarm running residently) will be significantly less
>than all of Norton's resident processes. Feel free to prove me wrong
>(I'd check myself but I don't exactly feel like paying for Norton).

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> I've got a couple of Dell machines which came with Norton, and am
> trying to remove it to install McAfee. Even though I've removed all
> 3-4 of the norton apps (security center, virus scanner, livereg,
> liveupdate), and removed their entries with startup.cpl, I still have
> ccevtmgr and ccsetmgr showing up in my processes.
>
> Is there an app to tear out all the Norton dreck? This is more
> insidious than a lot of malware! Grrrr....
>
> Thanks!

That is the MAIN REASON that I refuse to buy Symantec products
any more...it is worse than most of the viruses that it purports to protect
you against! Most of the reason for its behavior is Symantec paranoia
over theft of their product...theft? Actually, I'd like software that would
protect me from ever installing the stuff.

Good luck.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:36:54 -0500, Rob wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:08:03 -0400, William P. N. Smith <> wrote:
>
>>I've got a couple of Dell machines which came with Norton, and am
>>trying to remove it to install McAfee. Even though I've removed all
>>3-4 of the norton apps (security center, virus scanner, livereg,
>>liveupdate), and removed their entries with startup.cpl, I still have
>>ccevtmgr and ccsetmgr showing up in my processes.
>>
>>Is there an app to tear out all the Norton dreck? This is more
>>insidious than a lot of malware! Grrrr....
>>
>>Thanks!
>

>I agree with you that Norton isn't worth keeping (at least that was my
>experience then and now).
>
>I don't recall how I got rid of all its files (I think I took a while
>of trying to get rid of it before successfully doing it) but this is
>what I'd do for starters... go to Administrative tools and then to
>component services and if it's listed in there, disable it. Then go
>to the Norton website and see if they tell you how to get rid of them.
>If not, then install another virus program and tell it to scan your
>system. It might find the Norton files and rid your pc of them (not
>sure on this but its worth trying). You could also try Webroot
>spysweeper to scan your system and see if it finds them (again not
>sure on this). Of course you could go into your registry and
>eliminate them manually if you're brave (don't do this unless you
>think you can and regardless, backup your registry or whole system
>first just in case).

Just to add to my post, if it matters and it may not... I use
Kaspersky AntiVirus Personal (a pain to set up but set it and forget
it as it's very stable and reliable even as a scheduled event which is
what I have done) along with webroot spysweeper and zonealarm pro. I
believe my system is clean of viri and perhaps once or twice a year
when I'm downloading email that has a virus in it (unbeknownst to me
at that moment), it (Kaspersky) will kill that email (per my
instruction in the setup) and allow the remainder of email to download
as if nothing happened automatically. Kaspersky was one of the best a
year or so ago but now not sure. Certainly others are easier to set
up. And with these programs, I don't get the crashes I got before.
Last, I remember when I first ran these programs, it seemed like they
caught stuff Nortons did not catch at that time.

Bottom line is, my system seems to be happy and so am I.

Environment is a factor, production or desktop, high demand operations
or low, and even then the user level effects the perception of what is a
significant speed hit and what is not.

In some environments it is even a good idea to have virus servers that
act as filters for all data into and out of a particular network segment.
Mail servers in particular usually have a series of server layers to filter
out spam and then viruses, before the actual mail servers.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

NoNoBadDog! <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>> "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
>>>
>>> And I would argue equally strongly your assertion that Norton products
>>> are
>>> Resource hogs.
>>> They are not. On a healthy system, they have no impact on system
>>> performance. A quick review of the Processes tab under Task Manager will
>>> prove to anyone with Norton install that it does not take up any more
>>> resources than any other application (of any kind).
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>
>> I remember this discussion from another thread and, if I remember
>> correctly,
>> you were the only poster that didn't believe Norton products to be
>> resource
>> hogs.
>>
>> Either you're right, or *everyone* else is wrong! <g>
>>
>> Notan

> Can you, or any of the other posters, provide *any* proof that they are
> reserving resources?

Proof? That's a bit silly.

CNET ran sysmark and other benchmarks with NAV on/off. They report
a 4% performance hit. You can google the article yourself.

But again, that's CNET running in some unspecified mode. I doubt
any of the benchmarks do things like rapid file open/file close
that would be seen in a server environment or a multimedia encoding
environment.

> Can you provide a single example of how any Norton product is taking any
> resources away from the system? Can you provide any evidence of loss of
> memory space or any other consequence of Norton?

This is trivial to demonstrate. Write an application that creates
ten thousand 100 byte files. Benchmark it with AV on versus off.

An anti-virus program can cripple a server. Extrapolate downwards
for the effects on average users. Grandma won't notice. Bill the
power user will.

> Have you ever read a magazine article that demonstrated any support of the
> "resource hog" allegation?

My own experiences are enough for me.

> Have you ever found a website that can prove that resources are lost when a
> Norton product is installed?

At least one timer is lost. Obviously some nontrivial amount of opcodes
are inserted into the execute pipeline. Obviously data signatures are
saved to the hard disk. Obviously a footprint is consumed in memory.

> Bobby

> Good luck with whatever alternative you choose. Whatever product you
> choose, it will be a step backward from the protection provided by Norton
> Internet Security.

I`ve found Dyfuca on at least two systems i`ve looked at over the last 3
months with a fully up-to-date NIS installed.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****

> My guess is that maybe AVG <snip>

....and on a friends' system (one of about 15 he's got) he suspected
there was something not right - a quick scan with Sysclean later, and it
came up with 3 currently "inactive" viruses sat on the HD.

Avast appears to have a better detection rate at present.