How "rugged" is the Inspiron

I enjoy my new Inspiron. But I'm still a notebook newbie.
But I know with my Dim 2400, there was no problem having it on all day and
using it some days for maybe 4-8 hours.

Now, I don't intend to just leave the Inspiron on all day (heck, there is
definite heat involved).

But at times I'd like to have the Inspiron on my desk, plugged in, and use
it for say 4-7 hours.

Should that be a problem.

Mel

"MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> But at times I'd like to have the Inspiron on my desk, plugged in,
> and use it for say 4-7 hours.
>
> Should that be a problem.

Nope. HDD in Laptops are designed to run for a business day, but not
longer. The MBTF for such a HDD is always calculated for running
about 8 hours a day- not continously. So this shouldn't be any
problem. Besides mine is always runnig, sometimes day and night and
never had any problems in a year and a half..

"Kevin Rengo" <k.rengo@europe.com> wrote in message

> "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>> But at times I'd like to have the Inspiron on my desk, plugged in, and
>> use it for say 4-7 hours.
>>
>> Should that be a problem.
>
> Nope. HDD in Laptops are designed to run for a business day, but not
> longer. The MBTF for such a HDD is always calculated for running about 8
> hours a day- not continously. So this shouldn't be any problem. Besides
> mine is always runnig, sometimes day and night and never had any problems
> in a year and a half..

Can you cite a specific manufacturer's link for such a claim? I've never
heard an MTBF based on 8 on / 16 off.

I leave my Inspirons on 24/7

Tom,
for how many years have you been running your inspiron laptop harddrive
continuously 24 hours a day?
I also believed you could leave it running and after 2 years of running
my latitude 640 24x7 , i started having weird problems, caused by
overheating with hard drive and possibly internally. if i leave the
laptop spinning for more than 1 day, it often never makes it out of
powersave, but fails with blue screen of death the next morning.

i'm still not sure what's going on with mine, but i have no time to deal
with it. i turn mine off (suspend mode) nightly.
but i tell all my customers that laptops are not desktop replacements
and they should be turned off nightly, not kept running 24x7 unless you
want strange overheat problems.

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Can you cite a specific manufacturer's link for such a claim? I've
> never heard an MTBF based on 8 on / 16 off.
Please don't blame me, but can't. It was a hazzle to find these
specs anyway. You will be able though to find these specifications
and measurements on every manufacturers site, just take a
deeeeeeeeeeep look at their available links.. For instants use
www.hitachi.com and then make your way through to the travelstar
series and then move on to the sepcs somewhere.. But in fact I could
claim, if you have found that site. Only server hdds are made for
continous run.

> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>> Can you cite a specific manufacturer's link for such a claim? I've never
>> heard an MTBF based on 8 on / 16 off.
> Please don't blame me, but can't. It was a hazzle to find these specs
> anyway. You will be able though to find these specifications and
> measurements on every manufacturers site, just take a deeeeeeeeeeep look
> at their available links.. For instants use www.hitachi.com and then make
> your way through to the travelstar series and then move on to the sepcs
> somewhere.. But in fact I could claim, if you have found that site. Only
> server hdds are made for continous run.

Well, until you can cite a link, I'll go on thinking that it isn't true.
I've been involved in PCs since 1981 and have never seen it quoted that way.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:25:58 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>"Kevin Rengo" <k.rengo@europe.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>>> Can you cite a specific manufacturer's link for such a claim? I've never
>>> heard an MTBF based on 8 on / 16 off.
>> Please don't blame me, but can't. It was a hazzle to find these specs
>> anyway. You will be able though to find these specifications and
>> measurements on every manufacturers site, just take a deeeeeeeeeeep look
>> at their available links.. For instants use www.hitachi.com and then make
>> your way through to the travelstar series and then move on to the sepcs
>> somewhere.. But in fact I could claim, if you have found that site. Only
>> server hdds are made for continous run.
>>

>Well, until you can cite a link, I'll go on thinking that it isn't true.
>I've been involved in PCs since 1981 and have never seen it quoted that way.

Tom, I will have to agree with you but do you really think he cares
what you and I think???

wrote:

>"Kevin Rengo" <k.rengo@europe.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>>> Can you cite a specific manufacturer's link for such a claim? I've never
>>> heard an MTBF based on 8 on / 16 off.
>> Please don't blame me, but can't. It was a hazzle to find these specs
>> anyway. You will be able though to find these specifications and
>> measurements on every manufacturers site, just take a deeeeeeeeeeep look
>> at their available links.. For instants use www.hitachi.com and then make
>> your way through to the travelstar series and then move on to the sepcs
>> somewhere.. But in fact I could claim, if you have found that site. Only
>> server hdds are made for continous run.
>>

>Well, until you can cite a link, I'll go on thinking that it isn't true.
>I've been involved in PCs since 1981 and have never seen it quoted that way.

I will say, lately I'm seeing some strange specs tho...for ie:
http://tinyurl.com/bhw7b
they give the mtbf and power on hours and on another site I saw
something like time to repair = 30 minutes (can't find that site right
now).

Hence, maybe I'm going to have to back off a bit tho it would be nice
to see his reference for educational purposes.

<Rob> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Tom, I will have to agree with you but do you really think he cares
> what you and I think???

You will wonder why, but I do. I am right now moving so I am a bit in
a hazzle, BUT I will provide the link if you give me some more time,
say two to three days- if you can be that patient, i can prove it.
BTW also a German magazin called computer & technics also 'claims'
this as a fact.

Johnny

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:27:01 -0400, MZB wrote:

> I enjoy my new Inspiron. But I'm still a notebook newbie.
> But I know with my Dim 2400, there was no problem having it on all day and
> using it some days for maybe 4-8 hours.
>
> Now, I don't intend to just leave the Inspiron on all day (heck, there is
> definite heat involved).
>
> But at times I'd like to have the Inspiron on my desk, plugged in, and use
> it for say 4-7 hours.
>
> Should that be a problem.
>
> Mel

I run my Inspiron 600m a LOT. On the weekends and holidays it runs for at
least 10 hours per day. On weekdays I run it at least 4 hours per day.

Well, my current Inspirons, not that long, as they're pretty new. My
Thinkpad X40 (which is a tiny 1.8inch drive), a little over a year.

My Inspiron 2100, roughly 2.5 years before I replaced it.

If you're blue screening, that's unlikely to be a hard ware failure, but a
software one.

Except for the machine in our bedroom, all our machines run 24/7. I've seen
nothing that says laptops that are properly made are more likely to fail.

Tom

<Rob> wrote in message news:9avlj1lrs1f30cqas6v7e0db8pi0f751go@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:25:58 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"Kevin Rengo" <k.rengo@europe.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>> Please don't blame me, but can't. It was a hazzle to find these specs
>>> anyway. You will be able though to find these specifications and
>>> measurements on every manufacturers site, just take a deeeeeeeeeeep look
>>> at their available links.. For instants use www.hitachi.com and then
>>> make
>>> your way through to the travelstar series and then move on to the sepcs
>>> somewhere.. But in fact I could claim, if you have found that site. Only
>>> server hdds are made for continous run.
>>>

>>Well, until you can cite a link, I'll go on thinking that it isn't true.
>>I've been involved in PCs since 1981 and have never seen it quoted that
>>way.
>>

> I will say, lately I'm seeing some strange specs tho...for ie:
> http://tinyurl.com/bhw7b
> they give the mtbf and power on hours and on another site I saw
> something like time to repair = 30 minutes (can't find that site right
> now).
>
> Hence, maybe I'm going to have to back off a bit tho it would be nice
> to see his reference for educational purposes.

Well, that lists an MTBF, but in a more 'traditional; mode -- no 8 hour
limitations.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:52:20 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

><Rob> wrote in message news:9avlj1lrs1f30cqas6v7e0db8pi0f751go@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:25:58 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Kevin Rengo" <k.rengo@europe.com> wrote in message

>>>Well, until you can cite a link, I'll go on thinking that it isn't true.
>>>I've been involved in PCs since 1981 and have never seen it quoted that
>>>way.
>>>

>> I will say, lately I'm seeing some strange specs tho...for ie:
>> http://tinyurl.com/bhw7b
>> they give the mtbf and power on hours and on another site I saw
>> something like time to repair = 30 minutes (can't find that site right
>> now).
>>
>> Hence, maybe I'm going to have to back off a bit tho it would be nice
>> to see his reference for educational purposes.
>
>Well, that lists an MTBF, but in a more 'traditional; mode -- no 8 hour
>limitations.

Agreed. Thats why I'd like to see his reference to educate myself tho
if it exists, I'll have to figure out why. So it seems we have two
problems here, first finding if this terminology exists and then
explaining what it means.

Rob wrote:

>>> I will say, lately I'm seeing some strange specs tho...for ie:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/bhw7b
>>> they give the mtbf and power on hours and on another site I saw
>>> something like time to repair = 30 minutes (can't find that site right
>>> now).

>>Well, that lists an MTBF, but in a more 'traditional; mode -- no 8 hour
>>limitations.
>
> Agreed.

MTBF 300,000Hours
Power-on hours 2,800Hours
Product life 5 years or 20,000 POH (whatever comes earlier)

Couldn't one take the product life spec as an indication that they design
for ~11 POH per day?

I couldn't really make sense of the second line with the 2800 POH...

Gerhard

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:00:53 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler
<gefiedler@globo.com> wrote:

>>>Well, that lists an MTBF, but in a more 'traditional; mode -- no 8 hour
>>>limitations.
>>
>> Agreed.
>
>MTBF 300,000Hours
>Power-on hours 2,800Hours
>Product life 5 years or 20,000 POH (whatever comes earlier)
>
>Couldn't one take the product life spec as an indication that they design
>for ~11 POH per day?

Agreed it seems to say that.

>I couldn't really make sense of the second line with the 2800 POH...

Neither can I if you consider the other specs you quoted by the
manufacturer. Maybe someone smarter can shed light on the rest of us
what this newer terminology means now.

>I enjoy my new Inspiron. But I'm still a notebook newbie.
>But I know with my Dim 2400, there was no problem having it on all day and
>using it some days for maybe 4-8 hours.
>
>Now, I don't intend to just leave the Inspiron on all day (heck, there is
>definite heat involved).
>
>But at times I'd like to have the Inspiron on my desk, plugged in, and use
>it for say 4-7 hours.
>
>Should that be a problem.

It should not be a problem.

If it were me, though, I'd get a full warranty for as long as you plan
to use the computer. Then you can use it as long as you want as much
as you want without any worries.

-Joel

Free 35mm lens & digital camera reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:49:36 GMT, joel@exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
wrote:

>>I enjoy my new Inspiron. But I'm still a notebook newbie.
>>But I know with my Dim 2400, there was no problem having it on all day and
>>using it some days for maybe 4-8 hours.
>>
>>Now, I don't intend to just leave the Inspiron on all day (heck, there is
>>definite heat involved).
>>
>>But at times I'd like to have the Inspiron on my desk, plugged in, and use
>>it for say 4-7 hours.
>>
>>Should that be a problem.
>
>It should not be a problem.
>
>If it were me, though, I'd get a full warranty for as long as you plan
>to use the computer. Then you can use it as long as you want as much
>as you want without any worries.
>
>-Joel

>Free 35mm lens & digital camera reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

Inotherwords if you plan on keeping it and using it for 5 years, get a
5 year warrantee (assuming it exists) ... I don't think so. At some
point, the cost outweighs the benefits. I think the OP is asking the
right questions to making a good decision.