Hello this is my first HTPC build, i have done the research and gathered the information for the hardware, I have the parts in the mail and it will be constructed soon.
Now I am trying to get an idea for the best software for what I want done. I am using Windows 7 64-bit.
1. I plan to use Windows Media Center to watch tv/movies/record TV. any comments on this for the configuration/addons would be great.
2. I need to stream this TV/movies/recorded tv to my Xbox which will be in another room connected via Wireless N
3. I also need to stream this to any laptop/desktop in the house.
4. Playing/Ripping blu-ray movies through the player and saving them virtually for transfer/streaming.
5. I also would like to remote control this pc from anywhere, outside my network and within. (without using remote desktop connection.)
6. Configurations for my router for best streaming options.[my router is the Linksys E3000 high performance wireless-n]
7. I don't know if this is possible but i would like to use this PC to play games off of and stream the video/controls to other computers in the house.
8. any other configurations for windows firewall/software that would be optimal.
There is probably more, but they have not risen at this time.
9. any other suggestions for features/other things im missing.
I perfer Freeware but if something really stands out of the crowd I dont' mind purchasing some software as long as it doesn't get updated like every year and have to purchase new versions all the time.