Error "There is No Disc in Drive" when writing text files ..

I have been able to write text files to my CD-RW until recently which may be
after I received and automatic update from XP. I am using the MS CD Writer,
I receive the error "There is no disc in the drive" when selecting properties
is shows that the Discs have no free space, these are all brand new out of
the package discs. I had this problem previously immediately after I
upgraded to XP SP2, MS provided an executable that I ran and corrected the
problem. I have asked for assistance which I got for a time and then there
was no response. I realize I may need to purchase a 3rd party CD creator
software, but wanted to see if anyone had heard of this problem in the past.
I can burn audio files with no problems using 3rd party software like
itunes. I can read CD's just cannot write text files using the MS CD Writer.
I appreciate any suggestions.--
KKraft
6 answers Last reply
More about error there disc drive writing text files

    Exactly HOW are you trying to write text files to the CD-RW?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Kkraft" <Kkraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been able to write text files to my CD-RW until recently which may
    >be
    > after I received and automatic update from XP. I am using the MS CD
    > Writer,
    > I receive the error "There is no disc in the drive" when selecting
    > properties
    > is shows that the Discs have no free space, these are all brand new out of
    > the package discs. I had this problem previously immediately after I
    > upgraded to XP SP2, MS provided an executable that I ran and corrected the
    > problem. I have asked for assistance which I got for a time and then
    > there
    > was no response. I realize I may need to purchase a 3rd party CD creator
    > software, but wanted to see if anyone had heard of this problem in the
    > past.
    > I can burn audio files with no problems using 3rd party software like
    > itunes. I can read CD's just cannot write text files using the MS CD
    > Writer.
    > I appreciate any suggestions.--
    > KKraft

    When I have the (E) CD-RW window open I copy a file into the CD-RW (E) I then
    click on write these files to CD. The Write CD wizard appears and says
    "there is no disc in the drive", "insert a disc into the drive" In the past
    this has always worked and when clicking on the properties tab it showed
    there was free disc space. The recording tab is enabled. --
    KKraft

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

    > Exactly HOW are you trying to write text files to the CD-RW?
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    >
    > "Kkraft" <Kkraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have been able to write text files to my CD-RW until recently which may
    > >be
    > > after I received and automatic update from XP. I am using the MS CD
    > > Writer,
    > > I receive the error "There is no disc in the drive" when selecting
    > > properties
    > > is shows that the Discs have no free space, these are all brand new out of
    > > the package discs. I had this problem previously immediately after I
    > > upgraded to XP SP2, MS provided an executable that I ran and corrected the
    > > problem. I have asked for assistance which I got for a time and then
    > > there
    > > was no response. I realize I may need to purchase a 3rd party CD creator
    > > software, but wanted to see if anyone had heard of this problem in the
    > > past.
    > > I can burn audio files with no problems using 3rd party software like
    > > itunes. I can read CD's just cannot write text files using the MS CD
    > > Writer.
    > > I appreciate any suggestions.--
    > > KKraft

    From the Windows XP Help and Support section (great when you use it). See
    step six. The actual writing to the CD is a separate step, after the files
    are copied to a temporary holding area.

    To copy files and folders to a CD

    1.. Insert a blank, writable CD into the CD recorder.
    2.. Open My Computer.
    3.. Click the files or folders you want to copy to the CD. To select more
    than one file, hold down the CTRL key while you click the files you want.
    Then, under File and Folder Tasks, click Copy this file, Copy this folder,
    or Copy the selected items.
    If the files are located in My Pictures, under Picture Tasks, click Copy
    to CD or Copy all items to CD, and then skip to step 5.

    4.. In the Copy Items dialog box, click the CD recording drive, and then
    click Copy.
    5.. In My Computer, double-click the CD recording drive. Windows displays
    a temporary area where the files are held before they are copied to the CD.
    Verify that the files and folders that you intend to copy to the CD appear
    under Files Ready to be Written to the CD.
    6.. Under CD Writing Tasks, click Write these files to CD. Windows
    displays the CD Writing Wizard. Follow the instructions in the wizard.
    Notes

    a.. To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
    b.. Do not copy more files to the CD than it will hold. Standard CDs hold
    up to 650 megabytes (MB). High-capacity CDs hold up to 850 MB.
    c.. Be sure that you have enough disk space on your hard disk to store the
    temporary files that are created during the CD writing process. For a
    standard CD, Windows reserves up to 700 MB of the available free space. For
    a high-capacity CD, Windows reserves up to 1 gigabyte (GB) of the available
    free space.
    d.. After you copy files or folders to the CD, it is useful to view the CD
    to confirm that the files are copied. For more information, click Related
    Topics.

    To add more files to a CD

    1.. Insert the writable CD into the CD recorder.
    2.. Open My Computer, and check that there is available disk space on the
    CD to add more files.
    To check the available disk space on the CD, in My Computer, right-click
    the CD recording drive, and then click Properties.

[...]

    If the CD is not full, you can add more files to the CD by repeating this
    process.

    Notes

    a.. To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
    b.. After you copy files or folders to the CD, it is useful to view the CD

    > When I have the (E) CD-RW window open I copy a file into the CD-RW (E) I
    > then
    > click on write these files to CD. The Write CD wizard appears and says
    > "there is no disc in the drive", "insert a disc into the drive" In the
    > past
    > this has always worked and when clicking on the properties tab it showed
    > there was free disc space. The recording tab is enabled. --
    > KKraft
    >

    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Exactly HOW are you trying to write text files to the CD-RW?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "Kkraft" <Kkraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have been able to write text files to my CD-RW until recently which
    >> >may
    >> >be
    >> > after I received and automatic update from XP. I am using the MS CD
    >> > Writer,
    >> > I receive the error "There is no disc in the drive" when selecting
    >> > properties
    >> > is shows that the Discs have no free space, these are all brand new out
    >> > of
    >> > the package discs. I had this problem previously immediately after I
    >> > upgraded to XP SP2, MS provided an executable that I ran and corrected
    >> > the
    >> > problem. I have asked for assistance which I got for a time and then
    >> > there
    >> > was no response. I realize I may need to purchase a 3rd party CD
    >> > creator
    >> > software, but wanted to see if anyone had heard of this problem in the
    >> > past.
    >> > I can burn audio files with no problems using 3rd party software like
    >> > itunes. I can read CD's just cannot write text files using the MS CD
    >> > Writer.
    >> > I appreciate any suggestions.--
    >> > KKraft

    begin 666 shortcutCold.gif
    M1TE&.#EA"0`)`*(``(AZA68)>\#<P+_4OH" @ ```````````"P`````"0`)
    B```#'$@$W"HCR##>B+*2.ZG"E+=EEQ9=0OI%J:J\< (`.P``
    `
    end

    begin 666 note.gif
    M1TE&.#EA"@`*`+/_`(V,C?__S/_,`/\%!?]=7<# P-/3T\# P(6%A0("`@``
    M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````*``H`0 0H$,AI#AD@Z)U*
    AR1HB)(8'<N,7&EJG;JV P4GZ&@D2(";<>HF@,.B)```[
    `
    end

    Thanks for all the info, but I have been doing this procedure for several
    years just as listed in the Windows help file. I went through this procedure
    step by step to make sure I am not missing anything since it is possible I
    could have forgotten how to do this procedure. Unfortunately, I get the same
    error "No disc in the drive". I am sure this has something to do with the
    update I received from Microsoft and the fix they provided me right after SP
    2 is no longer working. If I was not able to burn audio CD's I would suspect
    my disc drive. I will purchase a 3rd party software and see if that resolves
    the problem, since I have to pay for the MS support I might as well buy the
    software.
    --
    KKraft

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
    > > When I have the (E) CD-RW window open I copy a file into the CD-RW (E) I
    > > then
    > > click on write these files to CD. The Write CD wizard appears and says
    > > "there is no disc in the drive", "insert a disc into the drive" In the
    > > past
    > > this has always worked and when clicking on the properties tab it showed
    > > there was free disc space. The recording tab is enabled. --
    > > KKraft
    > >

    > > "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Exactly HOW are you trying to write text files to the CD-RW?
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Richard Urban
    > >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> Quote from: George Ankner
    > >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    > >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"

    I have been using some form of Roxio's burning software for the past 5 years
    and have not been unhappy with it.

    --

> [...]
    >> Topics.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "Kkraft" <Kkraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > When I have the (E) CD-RW window open I copy a file into the CD-RW (E)
    >> > then
    >> > click on write these files to CD. The Write CD wizard appears and says
    >> > "there is no disc in the drive", "insert a disc into the drive" In the
    >> > past
    >> > this has always worked and when clicking on the properties tab it
    >> > showed
    >> > there was free disc space. The recording tab is enabled. --

    Check the dates and numbers for your recent MS installs then post here:

    Good luck and keep us posted!

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Kkraft" <Kkraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been able to write text files to my CD-RW until recently which may
    >be
    > after I received and automatic update from XP. I am using the MS CD
    > Writer,
    > I receive the error "There is no disc in the drive" when selecting
    > properties
    > is shows that the Discs have no free space, these are all brand new out of
    > the package discs. I had this problem previously immediately after I
    > upgraded to XP SP2, MS provided an executable that I ran and corrected the
    > problem. I have asked for assistance which I got for a time and then
    > there
    > was no response. I realize I may need to purchase a 3rd party CD creator
    > software, but wanted to see if anyone had heard of this problem in the
    > past.
    > I can burn audio files with no problems using 3rd party software like
    > itunes. I can read CD's just cannot write text files using the MS CD
    > Writer.
    > I appreciate any suggestions.--
    > KKraft

CD-Rom Windows XP