too weird log in

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have Win XP Home. The first user who logs in has no problem. When the
second user attempts to log in by clicking on their icon on the Welcome
Screen (the first user is still logged on), the screen clears and the login
introductory tune begins to play as expected. Suddenly, after 1-2 seconds,
the user is returned to the Welcome screen. This will happen again on the
second attempt to login, but normal login occurs after the third attempt.

Why would a login be aborted after 2 seconds?? This is really strange. We've
used this computer for 3 months with no problems. No viruses or spyware has
been detected.

Have you been playing with your pagefile size?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Michael" <nirvana@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have Win XP Home. The first user who logs in has no problem. When the
>second user attempts to log in by clicking on their icon on the Welcome
>Screen (the first user is still logged on), the screen clears and the login
>introductory tune begins to play as expected. Suddenly, after 1-2 seconds,
>the user is returned to the Welcome screen. This will happen again on the
>second attempt to login, but normal login occurs after the third attempt.
>
> Why would a login be aborted after 2 seconds?? This is really strange.
> We've used this computer for 3 months with no problems. No viruses or
> spyware has been detected.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No. I haven't changed my pagefile size.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have you been playing with your pagefile size?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Michael" <nirvana@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have Win XP Home. The first user who logs in has no problem. When the
>>second user attempts to log in by clicking on their icon on the Welcome
>>Screen (the first user is still logged on), the screen clears and the
>>login introductory tune begins to play as expected. Suddenly, after 1-2
>>seconds, the user is returned to the Welcome screen. This will happen
>>again on the second attempt to login, but normal login occurs after the
>>third attempt.
>>
>> Why would a login be aborted after 2 seconds?? This is really strange.
>> We've used this computer for 3 months with no problems. No viruses or
>> spyware has been detected.

OK

If the pagefile is too small it can cause problems with fast user switching.
The pagefile should really be set to "system managed" when using fast user
switching. This allows it to grow to whatever size it needs to be.

--

> No. I haven't changed my pagefile size.
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:OK7tjtjlFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Have you been playing with your pagefile size?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Michael" <nirvana@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I have Win XP Home. The first user who logs in has no problem. When the
>>>second user attempts to log in by clicking on their icon on the Welcome
>>>Screen (the first user is still logged on), the screen clears and the
>>>login introductory tune begins to play as expected. Suddenly, after 1-2
>>>seconds, the user is returned to the Welcome screen. This will happen
>>>again on the second attempt to login, but normal login occurs after the
>>>third attempt.
>>>
>>> Why would a login be aborted after 2 seconds?? This is really strange.
>>> We've used this computer for 3 months with no problems. No viruses or
>>> spyware has been detected.

kelly

Hi Michael,

Suggestions:

A User Logon Request Is Rejected Without Any Messages
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313322

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Michael" <nirvana@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have Win XP Home. The first user who logs in has no problem. When the
>second user attempts to log in by clicking on their icon on the Welcome
>Screen (the first user is still logged on), the screen clears and the login
>introductory tune begins to play as expected. Suddenly, after 1-2 seconds,
>the user is returned to the Welcome screen. This will happen again on the
>second attempt to login, but normal login occurs after the third attempt.
>
> Why would a login be aborted after 2 seconds?? This is really strange.
> We've used this computer for 3 months with no problems. No viruses or
> spyware has been detected.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the suggestion, but the article says that it applies to
"restricted" users logging on. All users on my computer have administrator
privileges.