[40K] Attack bike squad vs. Assault squad for FA addition ..

Last response: in Video Games
September 6, 2005 6:20:25 PM

OK, it looks like I need to add a Fast Attack to support my shooty army. I'm
just polling you all for you opinions on getting a full (3) Attack bike
squad w/ Hvy bolters versus getting a full Assault squad (9 + chaplain).
I know one thing to think about is cost (US $75 for 3 bikes vs. $50 for 10
SM).
So, what do you run in your army that works, or what has been used against
you to good effect?

Thanks

drgrbek
September 7, 2005 2:37:58 AM

"Ryan Elkins" <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
news:D fl16l$t6d$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
> OK, it looks like I need to add a Fast Attack to support my shooty army.
> I'm just polling you all for you opinions on getting a full (3) Attack
> bike squad w/ Hvy bolters versus getting a full Assault squad (9 +
> chaplain).
> I know one thing to think about is cost (US $75 for 3 bikes vs. $50 for 10
> SM).
> So, what do you run in your army that works, or what has been used against
> you to good effect?
>
> Thanks
>
> drgrbek
I run 3 landspeeders as my Fast attack choices, efficient and effective,
they either shoot them and not something else or get multimelta'ed to death.

--
estarriol
Anonymous

Ryan Elkins wrote:
> OK, it looks like I need to add a Fast Attack to support my shooty army.

Follow the herd and get 3 Landspeeders w/ HB & Assault Cannon!

> full (3) Attack bike squad w/ Hvy bolters
> versus getting a full Assault squad (9 + chaplain).

Personally, I'd split into 2 units of 5, one led by Chaplain, if I had
the slots.

> I know one thing to think about is cost (US $75 for 3 bikes vs.
> $50 for 10 SM).

The good thing is that Assault Marines haven't gotten any worse, price-wise.

> So, what do you run in your army that works, or what has been used against
> you to good effect?

I own 20 Assault Marines, and ZERO Attack Bikes.

But that's because I think the Attack Bikes look like ass.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 7:30:55 PM

"Ryan Elkins" <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
news:D fl16l$t6d$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
> OK, it looks like I need to add a Fast Attack to support my shooty army.
I'm
> just polling you all for you opinions on getting a full (3) Attack bike
> squad w/ Hvy bolters versus getting a full Assault squad (9 + chaplain).
> I know one thing to think about is cost (US $75 for 3 bikes vs. $50 for 10
> SM).
> So, what do you run in your army that works, or what has been used against
> you to good effect?

Well, first off those two choices have completely opposite purposes. The
attack bikes provide high quality, mobile anti-infantry firepower, while the
assault squad is a dedicated assault unit, for either a forward screen or
countercharge role.

You mentioned that your army is mostly shooty, which leads me to believe
that you have smaller tactical squads, either Devs or Tanks, and generally
an emphasis on shooting over assault in your other units. In that case, a
unit of assault marines with two flamers may solve your problem. Remember
that now, AMs are closer to cost effectivness then ever, and flamers make
them viable anti-infantry threats. Add a Vet w/ fist and that Chaplain, and
you have a unit that can compete against nearly any enemy assault unit. the
problem of course, is that this unit will not be cheap pointwise, and if you
already have adequete counter-charge, you may not need them.

Also note, as others have said, that LS Tornados are quite good now.
Finally, never rule out the new Terminator Command squad. With Ass Cannons,
it's a strong shooting threat against any target (bar the monolith) and is
still ferocious in assault. I hope I've helped.

> Thanks
>
> drgrbek

Steve
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 7:30:56 PM

"Steve Olk" <spo2@case.edu> wrote in message
news:D fnf4l$hso$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu...

> "Ryan Elkins" <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
> news:D fl16l$t6d$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
>> OK, it looks like I need to add a Fast Attack to support my shooty army.
> I'm
>> just polling you all for you opinions on getting a full (3) Attack bike
>> squad w/ Hvy bolters versus getting a full Assault squad (9 + chaplain).
>> I know one thing to think about is cost (US $75 for 3 bikes vs. $50 for
>> 10
>> SM).
>> So, what do you run in your army that works, or what has been used
>> against
>> you to good effect?
>
> Well, first off those two choices have completely opposite purposes. The
> attack bikes provide high quality, mobile anti-infantry firepower, while
> the
> assault squad is a dedicated assault unit, for either a forward screen or
> countercharge role.
>
> You mentioned that your army is mostly shooty, which leads me to believe
> that you have smaller tactical squads, either Devs or Tanks, and generally
> an emphasis on shooting over assault in your other units. In that case, a
> unit of assault marines with two flamers may solve your problem. Remember
> that now, AMs are closer to cost effectivness then ever, and flamers make
> them viable anti-infantry threats. Add a Vet w/ fist and that Chaplain,
> and
> you have a unit that can compete against nearly any enemy assault unit.
> the
> problem of course, is that this unit will not be cheap pointwise, and if
> you
> already have adequete counter-charge, you may not need them.
>
> Also note, as others have said, that LS Tornados are quite good now.
> Finally, never rule out the new Terminator Command squad. With Ass
> Cannons,
> it's a strong shooting threat against any target (bar the monolith) and is
> still ferocious in assault. I hope I've helped.
>
>> Thanks
>>
>> drgrbek
>
> Steve
Yes all of you have helped me a great deal, as always! I do have one LSTorn.
that I futz with from time to time. I like the volume of fire from both the
ass. cannon and hvy bolter and the rend capability, but its so fragile. Orks
look at it funny, and it explodes! :)
Im liking the A.S. option more and more.

drgrbek
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 1:21:32 AM

"Ryan Elkins" <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
news:D fngp7$sea$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...

> Yes all of you have helped me a great deal, as always! I do have one
LSTorn.
> that I futz with from time to time. I like the volume of fire from both
the
> ass. cannon and hvy bolter and the rend capability, but its so fragile.
Orks
> look at it funny, and it explodes! :)
> Im liking the A.S. option more and more.

Don't forget: Assault Bikes are even more fragile: they can be assaulted,
they are susceptible to small arms, and they are squished by S8, which a LS
can usually shrug off.

> drgrbek

Steve
!