Newbie Question about networking! Should be simple for you..

I have 2 computers sharing internet connection via a Linksys Router and
Cable Modem. I switch back and forth between them using a KVM switch.

Is it possible to "see" the other computer when I am working on 1 of them?
Can I network them somehow? I want to be working on Computer A and be able
to copy a file to Computer B. Is this possible?

Thanks for the help.

-KOH

Malke

KingOfHearts wrote:

> I have 2 computers sharing internet connection via a Linksys Router
> and
> Cable Modem. I switch back and forth between them using a KVM switch.
>
> Is it possible to "see" the other computer when I am working on 1 of
> them?
> Can I network them somehow? I want to be working on Computer A and be
> able
> to copy a file to Computer B. Is this possible?

Certainly you can network them. The KVM switch doesn't affect that. Each
computer needs an ethernet adapter in it (nic) and then you need two
regular cat5e ethernet cables. Attach the cables to the nic's in each
computer and then connect the other end of the cables to ports in the
Linksys router.

With both machines turned on, run the Network Setup Wizard (Control
Panel) on each computer. Enable the file and printer sharing when the
Wizard asks you. Then share out whatever resources you want on each
computer. You can then either use Network Places or make shortcuts to
where you like to transfer files on each computer's desktop for the
other machine. If you are using a third-party firewall, then configure
it to allow lan traffic as trusted.

Since you didn't say whether you have Home or Pro, here are some links
to help for both versions:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
(Pro)

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Hi KingOfHearts,

It is possible to get them working together if they are connected by a
router. Each one of them should have its own internal IP Address. Most
Linksys DHCP routers give an IP Address in the range of 192.168.0.x,
generally starting from 192.168.0.100. If that is the case, your two systems
should have IP Addresses of 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.101. Log on to one
of them and ping the other. You should get a response that confirms that the
two are connected.

Once that is done you should verify the names of each syste (let's call them
XP1 and XP2).

On each you should create a Share with the appropriate rights assigned on
each system. Once that's done you should be able to connect from XP1 to
\\XP2\Share, or from XP2 to \\XP1\Share.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Mitch
--
MDG, MCSA

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> KingOfHearts wrote:
>
>> I have 2 computers sharing internet connection via a Linksys Router
>> and
>> Cable Modem. I switch back and forth between them using a KVM switch.
>>
> With both machines turned on, run the Network Setup Wizard (Control
> Panel) on each computer. Enable the file and printer sharing when the
> Wizard asks you. Then share out whatever resources you want on each
> computer. You can then either use Network Places or make shortcuts to
> where you like to transfer files on each computer's desktop for the
> other machine. If you are using a third-party firewall, then configure
> it to allow lan traffic as trusted.
>
> Since you didn't say whether you have Home or Pro, here are some links
> to help for both versions:
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
> (Pro)
>
> Malke

Thanks Malke, I will try this.........

"Montreal MCSA" <MontrealMCSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi KingOfHearts,
>
> On each you should create a Share with the appropriate rights assigned on
> each system. Once that's done you should be able to connect from XP1 to
> \\XP2\Share, or from XP2 to \\XP1\Share.
>
> Good luck and let me know how it goes!
>
> Mitch
> --
> MDG, MCSA

Mitch, that seems to be working........thanks for the info.