Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Dual wall socket

Tags:
  • Socket
  • Extension
Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
June 4, 2011 6:51:12 PM

I have a dual wall socket like this http://www.onlinespyshop.co.uk/shopimages/products/norm...

Im wondering how much you can plug in to these before you go past being safe? I have 2 4-way extension leads plugged in to mine and all sockets are occupied, but id like to buy a 6-way extension lead to replace one of the 4-way ones. would this be safe?

I have a hdtv,pc,monitor,ps3,speakers,modem,router,hd pvr running from them currently but id like to have another 2 sockets for a room fan and something else.

Thanks.

More about : dual wall socket

June 6, 2011 7:28:07 AM

to be honest.. all wall outlets can be different.
if i give you a number of amperage for one outlet name brand, it might be more or less for your outlet.

i know that the hdtv and pc and monitor and modem and router and hd pvr are all items that could be really on the lower side of power requirements.
the pc probably being the highest.
but
these are all sensitive equipment and you might want to run electric motors, like a fan, on a seperate circuit.
not a seperate outlet, but a seperate circuit breaker.
i dont think the fan will suck up a lot of amperage.. but it could suck up some voltage.
the reason i am saying something is because sometimes electric motors work with gaps between the magnets.
those gaps between the magnets can cause the motor to suck and stop suck and stop suck and stop on the electricity.
those pulses happen sometimes, and the computer power supply is supposed to filter it out.
but sometimes the power supply is only designed to filter out smaller pulses.
that is one reason why the 'power filter' was born.
it keeps all of the pulses and changes away from electronics that rely on sensitive changes to the voltage to do it's running.

all of those things might have their own filter, and all of them might require some fluctuations to remain healthy.
we live in a 'bipolar' world like that.
if the filters arent doing their job of filtering, they might be dripping extra voltage into the circuit board.. causing more heat and even pulses of their own.

i have ran 700 watts on an outlet that had a loose connection.
the area got warm, but it was nothing compared to 1000 watts (or whatever it was) that popped the circuit after a while from the heat.

all you want is two extra plugs.
you should be able to place your hand up on the outlet to see if it is warm.
more heat could cause the electrical properties to age.
maybe it is the outlet itself.. maybe the electrical cord that runs to the outlet too.
i dont know, i'm not a designer of those cords :/ 
but
if the outlet isnt warm, i wouldnt think twice about more plugs.
if the outlet is warm, check the breaker box to see if the breaker is warm too.
maybe the outlet gets hotter and the circuit breaker gets warm, and the warm circuit breaker causes the fuse to pop.
or
maybe the outlet gets so hot that the electricity jumps from the power bolt that attached the electrical cord.. jumps from that bolt to the ground.
if the static jumps enough when the outlet is already under stress, it could be enough to set off the fuse.

i wonder if a power conditioner would condition each piece of electronics seperately.. or only clean the input voltage.
i bet that is how the power conditioner kills its connected hardware, by starving each connection to death from a bad design.
could place the filter before the power switch.. then another filter after the switch for load peaks.
otherwise the whole system might act like a restriction in a hose.
and if the voltage drops to add more amperage.. that could kill the connected equipment too.
nothing like wanting more pressure from a water hose and you put your thumb over the end to hold back the water.
not as much water comes out, but there sure is a lot more pressure from the little bit that does come out.

it is deception really.. and i dont like it.
July 18, 2011 4:24:26 AM

i am really not familiar with that type of socket it looks like something European or foreign any how . i have always liked to go by feel in addition to good common sense . obviously if you feel warmth on the socket or cord or wiring in the structure , that is indicative of overload or some other problem. if you could find out some of the basics as to load ratings for your socket and the wiring it is connected to that would be ideal , if this information isn't available feeling for warmth and using some common sense will take you a ways