Use laptop lcd as extended monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nm_ranga

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Hi,

I have a PC & Laptop. The mobo of Laptop has completely crashed . So thinking of scrapping of the whole laptop.

But by any chance is it possible to use the LCD of the laptop (which has no mobo) as secondary display for my PC?

thx
-ranga

Solution
As rodney said, you can't do this conventionally. You'd need to make your own interface for the monitor to power it and create a standard input port for it.

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
There are hardware adapters available which allow you to use a video input for your laptop screen

they are usually made for composite input so you can play games on your laptop screen, and some are relatively cheap.....i don't see why you couldn't use a converter and then use this as another computer monitor....the issue though is that your desktop has to render the image to output it to your laptop, whose graphics card has to then rerender it to be displayed on the screen......quality goes kaput

uh_no, your product won't do anything to help the OP. That thing is designed to take video as input and output it in USB, then reform it to video using software. This doesn't do anything for a notebook that doesn't work in the first place.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
this is a VERY interesting topic to me, as I have like 15 LCD screens from old laptops.

Anyone actually knowledgeable / experienced with this, please answer my question...

How hard would it be to have a 'wall of old LCDs' aka, combining them. I assume that this would be very difficult and finding the right encoding for each individual inverter would be extraordinarily tedious.

Would be cool though...and I have some ideas as to some experimenting with combining displays that would be fun....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS