[Paint] Brush brands similar to GW?

Last response: in Video Games
September 13, 2005 8:08:52 PM

Anyone know of a brand of brushes available in the US that are similar in
make to the GW kind? Im looking to get something of a bit higher quality
than GW, but Im not ready for the price of the W&N Series 7 miniature
brushes right now. Sizes and brandnames will be helpful. And can anyone
reccomend a reputable website with good quality and selection of brushes to
order from?

thanks for your help

drgrbek
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 9:47:47 PM

"Ryan Elkins" <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
news:D g7m65$lar$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
> Anyone know of a brand of brushes available in the US that are similar in
> make to the GW kind? Im looking to get something of a bit higher quality
> than GW, but Im not ready for the price of the W&N Series 7 miniature
> brushes right now. Sizes and brandnames will be helpful. And can anyone
> reccomend a reputable website with good quality and selection of brushes
> order from?
>
> thanks for your help
>
> drgrbek

Sure -

I've been using Lowell-Cornell 700 series paintbrushes for many years now
and I paint quite literally thousands of figures each year with 'em.
They're readily available at arts & crafts stores - I buy mine at Michael's
arts & crafts.
--
MJB

Mr. Tin's Miniature Painting Workshop:
http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 7:31:17 AM

Taking a break from the lucrative trade of smuggling black market beagles,
MJB wrote:

> "Ryan Elkins" <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
> news:D g7m65$lar$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
>> Anyone know of a brand of brushes available in the US that are
>> similar in make to the GW kind?

> I've been using Lowell-Cornell 700 series paintbrushes for many years
> now and I paint quite literally thousands of figures each year with
> 'em. They're readily available at arts & crafts stores - I buy mine
> at Michael's arts & crafts.

I'll endorse Lowell-Cornell 700 series, as well, but my brush of choice is
the American Painter 4000 series. I've used GW brushes a couple of times
and haven't been impressed, but the American Painter works very well for me.
Michaels is a great resource as that's where I purchase mine, as well.

--gair
September 14, 2005 7:50:14 AM

Ryan Elkins wrote:
> Im looking to get something of a bit higher quality
> than GW, but Im not ready for the price of the W&N Series 7 miniature
> brushes right now.

OK, tho I can't imagine why. Just take care of them and you'll be fine.

> Sizes and brandnames will be helpful. And can anyone reccomend
> a reputable website with good quality and selection of brushes to
> order from?

Vallejo brushes from Neal at the WarStore. I'd get a 3/0, 0, and 4 to
start.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
September 14, 2005 12:06:59 PM

"John Hwang" <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message
> Ryan Elkins wrote:
>> Im looking to get something of a bit higher quality than GW, but Im not
>> ready for the price of the W&N Series 7 miniature brushes right now.
>
> OK, tho I can't imagine why. Just take care of them and you'll be fine.

One word: Price. My plan is to save a bit, and buy some that are detail and
fine detail sized, since those are the brushes that tend to go fuzzy on me
the quickest. But Im looking for a full set to replace my scrubby GeeDub
brushes, and I can afford a set of the series 7 mini.

>> Sizes and brandnames will be helpful. And can anyone reccomend a
>> reputable website with good quality and selection of brushes to order
>> from?
>
> Vallejo brushes from Neal at the WarStore. I'd get a 3/0, 0, and 4 to
> start.

Cool. Thanks to all of you for the for the tips.

drgrbek

> --
> --- John Hwang "JohnHwang...@cs.com.no.com"
> \-|-/
> | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
> | Horned Blood Cross Terror LED Speed Jagd Destiny
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 2:19:25 PM

> I have a Michaels up the street from me, so I'll pick up a brush or two of
> the types mentioned, but I cant find any place local (Seattle, WA, USA)
> that sells the S7mini brushes. Anyone know of a online shop that sells
them?
> I couldnt find one myself.

Well, I used to buy expensive artists brushes, thinking that would make a
difference. And finallyI settled on the Lowell-Cornell 700 series as a
nice compromise between availabilty (ie, any Michael's arts & craft store)
and price (3.00 - 4.00$ US not including the very available Michael's 40%
off coupon of which I always have at least one in my wallet at all times).
Michael's also sells craft paints - 2 oz bottle of Delta Ceramcoat for 88
cents at my local Michaels here in Great Falls, MT.

I recently lived in Portland, OR and you might be able to find the brushes
at either American Eagles store or at Fantastic Hobbies up in Lynwood. Call
around, you might get lucky. But I'd certainly try the series 700 brushes
first - you might be suprised at how well they compare to the more expensive
brushes. Most all the figures on my website were painted using the 700
series brushes and Ceramcoat paint, so you can do good work with modestly
priced equipment.

--
MJB

Mr. Tin's Miniature Painting Workshop:
http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:01:02 PM

"MJB" <mrtinj@OLDSguy.com> wrote in message
news:D g9ih30km9@news2.newsguy.com...

>> I have a Michaels up the street from me, so I'll pick up a brush or two
>> of
>> the types mentioned, but I cant find any place local (Seattle, WA, USA)
>> that sells the S7mini brushes. Anyone know of a online shop that sells
> them?
>> I couldnt find one myself.
>>

> Well, I used to buy expensive artists brushes, thinking that would make a
> difference. And finallyI settled on the Lowell-Cornell 700 series as a
> nice compromise between availabilty (ie, any Michael's arts & craft store)
> and price (3.00 - 4.00$ US not including the very available Michael's 40%
> off coupon of which I always have at least one in my wallet at all times).
> Michael's also sells craft paints - 2 oz bottle of Delta Ceramcoat for 88
> cents at my local Michaels here in Great Falls, MT.
>
> I recently lived in Portland, OR and you might be able to find the brushes
> at either American Eagles store or at Fantastic Hobbies up in Lynwood.
> Call
> around, you might get lucky. But I'd certainly try the series 700 brushes
> first - you might be suprised at how well they compare to the more
> expensive
> brushes. Most all the figures on my website were painted using the 700
> series brushes and Ceramcoat paint, so you can do good work with modestly
> priced equipment.

Thanks for the info, I'll go check out the Lynnwood location. Also, I think
the banners you've painted for your SMs are awesome! Do you have a tutorial
on how you paint them? I really want to do some unique ones for my 5th Co.
Ultramarines.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 4:29:03 PM

"Ryan Elkins" <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
news:D g9ogs$7na$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...

> Thanks for the info, I'll go check out the Lynnwood location. Also, I
think
> the banners you've painted for your SMs are awesome! Do you have a
tutorial
> on how you paint them? I really want to do some unique ones for my 5th Co.
> Ultramarines.

I've been in the Lynwood stores a couple of times and never got away without
dropping a couple of hundred bucks each time - plus no sale tax to Oregon
residents!

Glad you like the banners - and the person who owns the Black Templar or
Blood Angel armies like their banners too. Far as how I paint banners, I do
lay-out the basic size and shape with a T-square to get the edges precise.
And I always make certain I know exactly where the middle point of the
banner is so whatever the central iconography I'm going to use is properly
placed. But other than that, it's pretty much all free-hand brushwork.

Good luck trying-out your new brushes.
--
MJB

Mr. Tin's Miniature Painting Workshop:
http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 4:29:04 PM

Snip!

> Glad you like the banners - and the person who owns the Black Templar or
> Blood Angel armies like their banners too. Far as how I paint banners, I
> do
> lay-out the basic size and shape with a T-square to get the edges precise.
> And I always make certain I know exactly where the middle point of the
> banner is so whatever the central iconography I'm going to use is
> properly
> placed. But other than that, it's pretty much all free-hand brushwork.
>
> Good luck trying-out your new brushes.

Forgot to ask, what do you make them out of? Is it paper of some kind?
Plasticard? (Which I cant seem to find anywhere.)
Thx

drgrbk

PS to all: Ive had real good results using those plastic cards from credit
card offers as extra armor for my armored vehicles. I just give both sides a
medium sanding w/ fine grit paper, glue to the model and prime and paint!
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 11:55:54 PM

In article <dg9rlg$afd$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>, Ryan Elkins,
relkins@u.washington.edu Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
Snip!
> Forgot to ask, what do you make them out of? Is it paper of some kind?
> Plasticard? (Which I cant seem to find anywhere.)
> Thx
>
> drgrbk

Try http://www.plastruct.com/

You could order their 12 x 7 .30 (.08mm) sheets. You can cut these and
then easily heat / bend them to create fluttering banners. You can draw
your basic design on them with fine felt-tip markers and then paint them
with acrylics after you've bent them to the desired shape.

http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/Action.lasso?-database=P...
Layout=Complete&-Response=OnlineProductDetail.html&-op=eq&CCode=CAGR-103

> PS to all: Ive had real good results using those plastic cards from credit
> card offers as extra armor for my armored vehicles. I just give both sides a
> medium sanding w/ fine grit paper, glue to the model and prime and paint!

Hmmm, never thought of that - that's a cool idea for using all the
junk they mail to you.

Myr

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

September 14, 2005 11:55:55 PM

"Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message
> In article <dg9rlg$afd$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>, Ryan Elkins,
> relkins@u.washington.edu Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Snip!
> > Forgot to ask, what do you make them out of? Is it paper of some kind?
> > Plasticard? (Which I cant seem to find anywhere.)
> > Thx
> >
> > drgrbk
>
> Try http://www.plastruct.com/
>
> You could order their 12 x 7 .30 (.08mm) sheets. You can cut these and
> then easily heat / bend them to create fluttering banners. You can draw
> your basic design on them with fine felt-tip markers and then paint them
> with acrylics after you've bent them to the desired shape.
>
> http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/Action.lasso?-database=P...
> Layout=Complete&-Response=OnlineProductDetail.html&-op=eq&CCode=CAGR-103

I just use ordinary paper - whatever I have in my printer is usually what's
most handy. I've tried the plastic sheets and don't like them as much as
paper stiffened with glue and paint. But if the plastic stuff works, well,
that's another option. Although, if memory serves, the original poster was
price sensative...

--
MJB

Mr. Tin's Miniature Painting Workshop:
http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 11:55:56 PM

Snip

> I just use ordinary paper - whatever I have in my printer is usually
> what's
> most handy. I've tried the plastic sheets and don't like them as much as
> paper stiffened with glue and paint. But if the plastic stuff works,
> well,
> that's another option. Although, if memory serves, the original poster
> was
> price sensative...
>
> --
> MJB
>
> Mr. Tin's Miniature Painting Workshop:
> http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/

So, just brush a little watered down white glue on it? Cool.

And a thought occured to me while reading the responses to my initial post.
Does anyone know if there is a website out there that tells you how to use
or combine everyday household items into your modelling or painting? Like
what I posted, using the credit card offers for armor on vehicles.
I think I may start experimenting, and reporting back to the group on my
findings. You all have given me lots, and I'd like to reciprocate.

Thx

drgrbek
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 5:58:41 AM

It was a cold day in September when Ryan Elkins entered the world pub known
as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> "MJB" <mrtinj@OLDSguy.com> wrote in message
> news:D g9ih30km9@news2.newsguy.com...
> >
> >> I have a Michaels up the street from me, so I'll pick up a brush or two
> >> of
> >> the types mentioned, but I cant find any place local (Seattle, WA, USA)
> >> that sells the S7mini brushes. Anyone know of a online shop that sells
> > them?
> >> I couldnt find one myself.
> >>

> > Well, I used to buy expensive artists brushes, thinking that would make a
> > difference. And finallyI settled on the Lowell-Cornell 700 series as a
> > nice compromise between availabilty (ie, any Michael's arts & craft store)
> > and price (3.00 - 4.00$ US not including the very available Michael's 40%
> > off coupon of which I always have at least one in my wallet at all times).
> > Michael's also sells craft paints - 2 oz bottle of Delta Ceramcoat for 88
> > cents at my local Michaels here in Great Falls, MT.
> >
> > I recently lived in Portland, OR and you might be able to find the brushes
> > at either American Eagles store or at Fantastic Hobbies up in Lynwood.
> > Call
> > around, you might get lucky. But I'd certainly try the series 700 brushes
> > first - you might be suprised at how well they compare to the more
> > expensive
> > brushes. Most all the figures on my website were painted using the 700
> > series brushes and Ceramcoat paint, so you can do good work with modestly
> > priced equipment.
>
> Thanks for the info, I'll go check out the Lynnwood location. Also, I think
> the banners you've painted for your SMs are awesome! Do you have a tutorial
> on how you paint them? I really want to do some unique ones for my 5th Co.
> Ultramarines.

Don't rule out the Wally World craft section for brushes either, with a bit
of care and patience you can pick out some decent brushes there also...

--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:54:44 PM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said

> What John is trying to tell you is that it's often more economical
> to buy quality brushes *and take care of them* than it is to buy lots of
> inexpensive brushes that don't last long.

In terms of ROI. I like lots of cheap brushes that I can really abuse
during the base coating and for things like wet brushing, and then I use
good quality brushes for detail work.

Brushes also have to feel good on your tongue when you shape them ;-)

--
Rob Singers
RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org

In article <Xns96D26F003FCA8rsingers@IP-Hidden>, Robert Singers,
rsingers@finger.hotmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said
>
> > What John is trying to tell you is that it's often more economical
> > to buy quality brushes *and take care of them* than it is to buy lots of
> > inexpensive brushes that don't last long.
>
> In terms of ROI. I like lots of cheap brushes that I can really abuse
> during the base coating and for things like wet brushing, and then I use
> good quality brushes for detail work.

Yeah, I'd have to admit to the same, though I do try and preserve
even the cheapo brushes for as long as possible. The base coating
process does indeed tend to beat them up if you're doing large numbers
of minis at once and not obsessive about constantly cleaning the brush
while you're working.

> Brushes also have to feel good on your tongue when you shape them ;-)

Urk! All those years of schooling (and shock therapy) right down
the drain. <Holds head in hands- Sigh...>

Myrmidon :)

--
I'm sorry. I admit, I've been shaping my brush with my lips
again. My thane is starting to look real good tho'. Damnit Myr

- Jesus Singers, the Sneaky Yoda

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

September 15, 2005 2:56:01 PM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ryan Elkins said

> And a thought occured to me while reading the responses to my initial
> post. Does anyone know if there is a website out there that tells you
> how to use or combine everyday household items into your modelling or
> painting? Like what I posted, using the credit card offers for armor
> on vehicles. I think I may start experimenting, and reporting back to
> the group on my findings. You all have given me lots, and I'd like to
> reciprocate.

If you write the article I'll stick it on rgmw.org. Actaully if I check
the list it's probably one of the ones Myr promised to write.

--
Rob Singers
RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Foemina Erit Ruina Tua
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:56:02 PM

In article <Xns96D26F383AC6Frsingers@IP-Hidden>, Robert Singers,
rsingers@finger.hotmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Ryan Elkins said
>
> > And a thought occured to me while reading the responses to my initial
> > post. Does anyone know if there is a website out there that tells you
> > how to use or combine everyday household items into your modelling or
> > painting? Like what I posted, using the credit card offers for armor
> > on vehicles. I think I may start experimenting, and reporting back to
> > the group on my findings. You all have given me lots, and I'd like to
> > reciprocate.
>
> If you write the article I'll stick it on rgmw.org. Actaully if I check
> the list it's probably one of the ones Myr promised to write.

Damnit! I keep rooting for my employers to go belly up (no -
really) so I can have more time off, but they keep (annoyingly) trudging
on and agonizingly drawing out the inevitable end. They're laying off
another 240 of my co-workers on Oct 20th/21st, but of course I'm still
stuck there since I've been there for 12 years. Ah well. And as for
the articles - I set myself a goal of having all my remaining Nids stuff
and all the stuff for my friend's Nid army prepped and primered before
the cold weather sets in here and I can't do any more out-door spraying.
(If I spray paint in the basement, I gaurante my wife will euthanize me
in my sleep.) So that's where all my 'free time' has gone to for the
last month or so. On the other hand, I have accomplished quite a bit ->
see my [Paint] 40K progress thread... I've got to be out of town this
weekend for a Martial Arts seminar, but I'll take a shot at getting at
least one of the two magnetic conversion articles done up and sent to
you next week.

Myr :)

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

September 27, 2005 3:32:02 AM

Ryan Elkins <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> PS to all: Ive had real good results using those plastic cards from credit
> card offers as extra armor for my armored vehicles. I just give both sides
> a medium sanding w/ fine grit paper, glue to the model and prime and
> paint!

Now that's a good idea! I'm going to have to start saving them now :^)

Now what to do with all those AOL tins...

Zane
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 5:19:52 AM

It was a cold day in September when entered the world pub known as
rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> Ryan Elkins <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > PS to all: Ive had real good results using those plastic cards from credit
> > card offers as extra armor for my armored vehicles. I just give both sides
> > a medium sanding w/ fine grit paper, glue to the model and prime and
> > paint!
>
> Now that's a good idea! I'm going to have to start saving them now :^)
>
> Now what to do with all those AOL tins...

They make pretty decent mixing plates for paint...

--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 5:38:44 AM

In article <MPG.1da259ac8262322c98a681@news.west.earthlink.net>, Jim M,
hnjcomics@gmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> It was a cold day in September when entered the world pub known as
> rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...
>
> > Ryan Elkins <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > > PS to all: Ive had real good results using those plastic cards from credit
> > > card offers as extra armor for my armored vehicles. I just give both sides
> > > a medium sanding w/ fine grit paper, glue to the model and prime and
> > > paint!
> >
> > Now that's a good idea! I'm going to have to start saving them now :^)
> >
> > Now what to do with all those AOL tins...
> >

> They make pretty decent mixing plates for paint...

They're also great for basing small pieces of terrain. I use mine
for Pillars with rubble strewn about the bottom, patches of jungle
foliage (just glue a foam mound or place some clay over the hole in the
middle), rubble piles, small destroyed vehicle bases, mini-dioramas,
weapons turrets, etc.

Myr

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

September 27, 2005 3:21:06 PM

It was a cold day in September when Myrmidon entered the world pub known as
rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> In article <MPG.1da259ac8262322c98a681@news.west.earthlink.net>, Jim M,
> hnjcomics@gmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> > It was a cold day in September when entered the world pub known as
> > rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> > > Now that's a good idea! I'm going to have to start saving them now :^)
> > >
> > > Now what to do with all those AOL tins...
> > >

> > They make pretty decent mixing plates for paint...
>
> They're also great for basing small pieces of terrain. I use mine
> for Pillars with rubble strewn about the bottom, patches of jungle
> foliage (just glue a foam mound or place some clay over the hole in the
> middle), rubble piles, small destroyed vehicle bases, mini-dioramas,
> weapons turrets, etc.

Well yeah, the CD's are okay for that or coasters, but the tins they used to
come in don't have holes in them...

--

!