Buy a laptop for Architecture

Hallo,
I'm looking for a notebook.
I'm studying Architecture, so I need to use 2D and 3D
Ideally my laptop shouldn't be too heavy (problems with my back)
my budget is up to 2000 euro

could someone help me? :bounce:

many thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about laptop architecture
  1. Hello and welcome to the forums :)
    please fill the FAQ first:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50797-35-read-buying-laptop
  2. 1_What is your budget? max 2000 euro

2_How much screen size do you need? 15" would be enough

3_How much screen resolution do you want? don't know, I suppose an excellent one

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need? not so relevant

6_Do you want to play games with it? If so then what kind of settings you want to play your games?(Low,Medium or High)? no games

7_What other tasks do you want to with your laptop? 2D and 3D modeling will be daily use

8_How much storage(H.D.D Capacity)do you need? 500 Gb...

9_If you just want to buy from some sites that you like,please post the link of them. no preference, but fast delivery would be an asset

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3-4 years...

11_If you like to mention some other things,please post them too.

I've seen this model from SONY for less than 1500 euro, what would be your advice??? Thanks!!!! :hello:

Sony VAIO VGNFW51ZF/H Laptop
    Platform Technology
    Intel Centrino 2
    System Type Notebook
    Built-in Devices Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial, Bluetooth aerial
    Width 38.4 cm
    Depth 26.1 cm
    Height 3.7 cm
    Weight 3.2 kg
    Colour Silver
    Processor
    Processor
    Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 / 2.8 GHz
    Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core
    64-bit Computing Yes
    Data Bus Speed 1066 MHz
    Chipset Type Mobile Intel PM45 Express
    Cache Memory
    Type
    L2 Cache
    Installed Size 6 MB
    RAM
    Installed Size
    8 GB / 8 GB (max)
    Technology DDR2 SDRAM - 800 MHz
    Configuration Features 2 x 4 GB
    Storage Controller
    Type
    Serial ATA
    Serial ATA Interface Serial ATA-150
    Storage
    Hard Drive
    500 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
    Optical Storage
    Type
    BD-RE - integrated
    Read Speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD) / 4x (BD)
    Write Speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 4x (DVD±R DL) / 4x (BD-R) / 2x (BD-R DL)
    CD / DVD Rewrite Speed 16x (CD) / 6x (DVD±RW) / 5x (DVD-RAM) / 2x (BD-RE) / 2x (BD-RE DL)
    Card Reader
    Type
    Card reader
    Supported Flash Memory Cards SD Memory Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo
    Display
    Display Type
    16.4" TFT
    Max Resolution 1920 x 1080
    Widescreen Display Yes
    Features X-black, dual lamp
    Video
    Graphics Processor / Vendor
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
    Video Memory GDDR3 SDRAM - 1 GB
    Total Available Graphics Memory 2790 MB
    Audio
    Audio Output
    Sound card
    Compliant Standards Microsoft WSS 1.0/2.0, High Definition Audio, Dolby Sound Room
    Audio Input Microphone
    Notebook Camera
    Camera Type
    Integrated
    Sensor Resolution 1.3 Megapixel
    Capture Resolutions 1280 x 1024
    Input Device(s)
    Type
    Keyboard, touchpad
    Networking
    Networking
    Network adapter
    Wireless LAN Supported Yes
    Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft), Bluetooth 2.1 EDR
    Compliant Standards IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft), Bluetooth 2.1
    Expansion / Connectivity
    Expansion Slots Total (Free)
    2 ( 0 ) x memory ¦ 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/34
    Interfaces 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) - 4 PIN FireWire ¦ 1 x microphone - input - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ¦ 1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T - RJ-45 ¦ 3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 PIN USB Type A ¦ 1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x audio / video - HDMI output - 19 pin HDMI Type A ¦ 1 x headphones / speakers - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
    Miscellaneous
    Features
    Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately)
    Power
    Power Device
    External
    Battery
    Technology
    Lithium Ion
    Installed Qty 1
    Run Time (Up To) 3.3 hour(s)
  3. That Sony looks good however if you go for HP DV6 Quad which has i7 and is better for your work
  4. out of personal experience I think the Sony is not so good. I have used Sony, Dell, HP, and Apple before. I find that Sony is as overpriced as an Alienware laptop and not as good as what you can get for your money. I was in the exact same shoes since I am a 2D and 3D worker.

My friend has the HP you are looking at and it looks nice, but feels like it's made out of cheap plastic and every time he has a problem he needs to speak with a non english speaking representative explaining something over and over again.

Since I was in the same shoes I myself was considering a HP DV8T, but decided to avoid HP. I ordered a Asus G51J. This laptop has everything for 2D and 3D work. It runs a high end GPU with a rock solid core i-7 inside of it. Yes...this laptop does run hot at times. It depends what you are doing. I doubt you will use this laptop as a render farm so you will be fine. It runs hot when gaming, but so does any gaming laptop (asus is known for not having the best cooling). I recommend if you get this to add the IC paste on the CPU and GPU to help with the cooling.

Core i-7 is worth every cent. It out performs and utilizes its strengths as needed. If only 1 core is required to run then it will pump up its speed (up to 2.8gz per core). So if 2 cores are needed it will do the same to both up to 4 cores.

The Nvidia 260m inside the Asus G51J is a high end GPU and performs extremely well in many conditions. For a mobile unit that is doing 2D and 3D this will be helpful.

The Asus G51J does not have a strong battery life. However, almost any laptop you are doing high end 3D on will not. If you want battery life then you will need to sacrifice. Apple I find is best for this with their Macbook Pro line, but they are overpriced for the type of CPU and GPU and screen size you get.

I hope this information helps you in making your decision. I talk about the Asus because I ordered it myself for the same reason. I spent over 5 weeks researching on options and best decision to make. I purchased my laptop at www.xoticpc.com (ask for Justin).
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Laptops Notebooks