Event ID: 4126
Date: 7/31/2005
Time: 12:37:29 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MICKS5000
Cleaning up corrupt content index metadata on c:\system volume
information\catalog.wci. Index will be automatically restored by refiltering
all documents.

Everett E. Gray
CWO3 USMC Ret.

kelly

EventID: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4126&source=CI+Service

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Everett Gray" <mickgray> wrote in message
> When using explorer and I right click on a file and open the menu every
> time
> I get to the "send to" explorer crashes. In the event log I belived this
> is
> the recorded error but not certain? Help I am real tired of having to
> reboot
> this thing everytime it crashes. Running XP SP2, Norton Antivirus 2005,
> and
> System mechanic.
>

> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: Ci
> Event Category: CI Service
> Event ID: 4126
> Date: 7/31/2005
> Time: 12:37:29 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: MICKS5000
> Cleaning up corrupt content index metadata on c:\system volume
> information\catalog.wci. Index will be automatically restored by
> refiltering
> all documents.
>

> Everett E. Gray
> CWO3 USMC Ret.

You have the Indexing service running.

[[ID: 4126
Source: Ci
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: MSG_CI_CORRUPT_INDEX_DOWNLEVEL_REMOVED
Message: Cleaning up corrupt content index metadata on %1. Index will be
automatically restored by refiltering all documents.

Explanation
The indexing service detected that its index of metadata associated with
documents is corrupted. These documents will not be retrieved correctly
during a search. To correct this, the indexing service will rebuild its
indexes by scanning the required folders and processing all documents again.
The documents themselves are not affected, but a search for these documents
will not be successful until the scan is complete.

User Action
No user action is required. ]]
Events & Errors Help: Windows 2003 Server: Ci: 4126
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=Ci&EvtID=4126&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.2

[[Often the trouble shooting of catalog corruption involves simply stopping
and starting the Index Server. However, sometimes you will need to rebuild
the catalog from scratch (stop Index Server, delete or move the contents of
the Catalog.wci directory, and then restart Index). ]]
Index Server Catalog Corruption
;209304]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];209304

Backup and Recovery Guidelines for Index Server Catalog
;247093]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];247093

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:F1030304-F41A-4825-86D8-D8A4E8984AEB@microsoft.com,
Everett Gray <mickgray> hunted and pecked:
> When using explorer and I right click on a file and open the menu every
> time I get to the "send to" explorer crashes. In the event log I belived
> this is the recorded error but not certain? Help I am real tired of
> having to reboot this thing everytime it crashes. Running XP SP2, Norton
> Antivirus 2005, and System mechanic.
>

> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: Ci
> Event Category: CI Service
> Event ID: 4126
> Date: 7/31/2005
> Time: 12:37:29 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: MICKS5000
> Cleaning up corrupt content index metadata on c:\system volume
> information\catalog.wci. Index will be automatically restored by
> refiltering all documents.
>

> Everett E. Gray
> CWO3 USMC Ret.

Do you actually use the Content Index service? If not disable it.

cisvc.exe = Content Index service or Indexing service.

Indexing Service starts automatically the first time you use Search,
unless it has been disabled.

Before disabling the Indexing Service, uninstall it in Add or Remove
Programs Control Panel applet.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs |
Add/Remove Windows Components button on left hand side|
Scroll down to and UNCheck:? Indexing Service | Finish |
Close Add or Remove Programs

Turn off the Indexing Service.

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
Scroll down to and double click: Indexing Service |
Click the Stop button | In the Startup Type field,
select Disabled | Apply | OK
After you restart your machine it will stay disabled.

Indexing Service
[[Indexes contents and properties of files on local and remote computers;
provides rapid access to files through flexible querying language.]]

[[Indexing service is a small program that hogs HUGE amounts of RAM and can
often make a computer endlessly loud and noisy. This system process
indexing and updates lists of the files on your system, so you can search
for them quickly, but it's completely unnecessary.]]

Indexing Service
[[This service always has been a major resource hog. I NEVER recommend
having this service enabled. Remove the function via the "Add / Remove
Programs" icon in the control panel (Windows Setup Programs). It uses about
500 K to 2 MB in an idle state, not to mention the amount of memory and CPU
resources it takes to INDEX the drives. I have had people (and witnessed it
on other people's computers) report to me that the Indexing Service
sometimes starts up EVEN while the system is NOT idle... as in the middle of
a game. You may feel, as I do, that this is unacceptable. If your computer
suddenly seems "sluggish," Indexing Service is usually the cause of it.

Default XP Home: Manual
Default XP Pro: Manual
Safe Setting: Disabled

Service name (registry): cisvc ]]
http://web.archive.org/web/20041128020314/www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eOQ0DUtlFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
> You have the Indexing service running.
>
> [[ID: 4126
> Source: Ci
> Version: 5.2
> Symbolic Name: MSG_CI_CORRUPT_INDEX_DOWNLEVEL_REMOVED
> Message: Cleaning up corrupt content index metadata on %1. Index will be
> automatically restored by refiltering all documents.
>
> Explanation
> The indexing service detected that its index of metadata associated with
> documents is corrupted. These documents will not be retrieved correctly
> during a search. To correct this, the indexing service will rebuild its
> indexes by scanning the required folders and processing all documents
> again. The documents themselves are not affected, but a search for these
> documents will not be successful until the scan is complete.
>
> User Action
> No user action is required. ]]
> Events & Errors Help: Windows 2003 Server: Ci: 4126

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=Ci&EvtID=4126&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.2

> [[Often the trouble shooting of catalog corruption involves simply
> stopping and starting the Index Server. However, sometimes you will need
> to rebuild the catalog from scratch (stop Index Server, delete or move
> the contents of the Catalog.wci directory, and then restart Index). ]]
> Index Server Catalog Corruption
> ;209304]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];209304
>
> Backup and Recovery Guidelines for Index Server Catalog
> ;247093]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];247093
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:F1030304-F41A-4825-86D8-D8A4E8984AEB@microsoft.com,
> Everett Gray <mickgray> hunted and pecked:
>> When using explorer and I right click on a file and open the menu every
>> time I get to the "send to" explorer crashes. In the event log I belived
>> this is the recorded error but not certain? Help I am real tired of
>> having to reboot this thing everytime it crashes. Running XP SP2, Norton
>> Antivirus 2005, and System mechanic.
>>

>> Event Type: Error
>> Event Source: Ci
>> Event Category: CI Service
>> Event ID: 4126
>> Date: 7/31/2005
>> Time: 12:37:29 PM
>> User: N/A
>> Computer: MICKS5000
>> Cleaning up corrupt content index metadata on c:\system volume
>> information\catalog.wci. Index will be automatically restored by
>> refiltering all documents.
>>

>> Everett E. Gray
>> CWO3 USMC Ret.

Iexplorer.exe is spyware

IE is Iexplore.exe

First eliminate any spyware.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
versions)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257

WinXP:
Get WinSockxpFix

How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
CMD
In the command window type
netsh winsock reset

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to
do than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Peter

"
"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:eOQ0DUtlFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> You have the Indexing service running.
>
> [[ID: 4126
> Source: Ci
> Version: 5.2
> Symbolic Name: MSG_CI_CORRUPT_INDEX_DOWNLEVEL_REMOVED
> Message: Cleaning up corrupt content index metadata on %1. Index will be
> automatically restored by refiltering all documents.
>
> Explanation
> The indexing service detected that its index of metadata associated with
> documents is corrupted. These documents will not be retrieved correctly
> during a search. To correct this, the indexing service will rebuild its
> indexes by scanning the required folders and processing all documents again.
> The documents themselves are not affected, but a search for these documents
> will not be successful until the scan is complete.
>
> User Action
> No user action is required. ]]
> Events & Errors Help: Windows 2003 Server: Ci: 4126
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=Ci&EvtID=4126&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.2
>
> [[Often the trouble shooting of catalog corruption involves simply stopping
> and starting the Index Server. However, sometimes you will need to rebuild
> the catalog from scratch (stop Index Server, delete or move the contents of
> the Catalog.wci directory, and then restart Index). ]]
> Index Server Catalog Corruption
> ;209304]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];209304
>
> Backup and Recovery Guidelines for Index Server Catalog
> ;247093]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];247093
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:F1030304-F41A-4825-86D8-D8A4E8984AEB@microsoft.com,
> Everett Gray <mickgray> hunted and pecked:
> > When using explorer and I right click on a file and open the menu every
> > time I get to the "send to" explorer crashes. In the event log I belived
> > this is the recorded error but not certain? Help I am real tired of
> > having to reboot this thing everytime it crashes. Running XP SP2, Norton
> > Antivirus 2005, and System mechanic.
> >

> > Event Type: Error
> > Event Source: Ci
> > Event Category: CI Service
> > Event ID: 4126
> > Date: 7/31/2005
> > Time: 12:37:29 PM
> > User: N/A
> > Computer: MICKS5000
> > Cleaning up corrupt content index metadata on c:\system volume
> > information\catalog.wci. Index will be automatically restored by
> > refiltering all documents.
> >

> > Everett E. Gray
> > CWO3 USMC Ret.

> Iexplorer.exe is spyware

It may very well be, but what does it have to do with the Content Index
service?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ucNB32vlFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Peter Foldes <okf22@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> [...]
>>
>> In news:F1030304-F41A-4825-86D8-D8A4E8984AEB@microsoft.com,
>> Everett Gray <mickgray> hunted and pecked:
>>> When using explorer and I right click on a file and open the menu every
>>> time I get to the "send to" explorer crashes. In the event log I
>>> belived this is the recorded error but not certain? Help I am real
>>> tired of having to reboot this thing everytime it crashes. Running XP
>>> SP2, Norton Antivirus 2005, and System mechanic.
>>>

>>> Event Type: Error
>>> Event Source: Ci
>>> Event Category: CI Service
>>> Event ID: 4126
>>> Date: 7/31/2005
>>> Time: 12:37:29 PM
>>> User: N/A
>>> Computer: MICKS5000
>>> Cleaning up corrupt content index metadata on c:\system volume
>>> information\catalog.wci. Index will be automatically restored by

Really nothing Wes. I was merely pointing out a fact only

--
Peter

Hi Peter,

I figured either: