[Paint] Progress - who's doing what?

Last response: in Video Games
September 15, 2005 7:36:52 AM

Howdy,

I thought I'd check in again and see who's doing what and post my
latest stuff (just so Rob Singers doesn't think I'm uselessly frittering
away all my time at work instead of getting those articles done...)

Usually I primer and paint several units and then repeat. But the
problem I run into is that here (Ohio - armpit of America) the winter
weather is just to damn cold to spray primer in, even with heating the
minis and the primer before hand since I can only spray out in the
garage. (No exhaust vent hood and spray painting in the basement =
instant death from my wife.) So, rather than running out of primered
units to paint this winter I've decided to get all the remainder of my
bugs, as well as all the bugs I'm painting for a friend's army done up
before the weather here goes to 'No more primering for you' cold.

So far, I've magnetically converted (i.e. full head/limb/weapons swaps),
prepped, and primered the following:

1x 4th Ed Hive tyrant
1x 3rd Ed Tyrant (with optional wings)
3x 4th Ed Carnifex
1x Rhino (with magnetic options like smoke, etc.)
1x Rhino/Whirlwind (with options as above)
1x Rhino/Pred (as above with full options for any weapons load out.)

(I still have 1x 3rd Ed Tyrant and 4x 3rd Ed Carnies to magnetically
convert and primer before the weather gets cold.)

Prepped and primered:

1x 2nd Ed Tyrant
5x HTH Warriors
7x Shooty Warriors
2x 4th Ed Lictor
1x 3rd Ed Lictor
3x 3rd Ed Tyrant Guard
46x 2nd Ed Termagants
50x 3rd Ed Termagants
32x Hormagaunts
8x 4th Ed Genestealers
12x 3rd Ed Genestealers
2x 3rd Ed Biovores & 14x spore mines (various)
20x Ripper stands
4x 3rd Ed Raveners

(Still have 3 of the newer 4th Ed Raveners to complete and primer as
well.)

And in the 'Painted' catagory...

I've gotten 2 of the new 4th Ed Carnies painted up along with 3 of the
warriors as I needed them for the RTT I played in the end of August. I
think the Fexes came out rather nice looking - if anyone wants a look,
let me know and I'll put up pics on Genbus. And I'm currently painting
up an 11 strong 'Crimson Fist' assault squad - 1 Sgt & 10 troopers
including 2 with Plasma pistols, and one with a pair of hand flamers
{i.e. counts as a standard flamer}. I am however reminded of why I hate
all the 'extras' - it's a pain painting all the grenades and other
little fiddly bits on these guys.

At any rate, I've managed to knock out a fair chunk of my goal (and a
butt-load of minis it is too) and only have 8 more Nids minis to prep
before I'm done. I'll likely see if I can't get some more Marines and a
couple of speeders prepped as well since my friend Matt would like a bit
more variety in my Marine units since he's using that while he's
building his Tau stuff.

So, who's been up to what?

(Besides Singers eating more paint - damnit!)

Myrmidon

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

More about : paint progress

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 7:55:34 AM

Myrmidon wrote:
> So, who's been up to what?

I posted a link to my Keepers / Nephilim a couple weeks ago. I dunno of
you ever took a look at them.

Since them, I test primed them. Unfortunately, the GS wasn't blending
in quite right, so I'm in the process of reworking some of the GS
details. I need to get more Super Glue to properly build up a hardened
surface as SGT instead of raw GS.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
September 15, 2005 8:42:57 AM

In article <Wg6We.6373$XO6.2757@trnddc03>, John Hwang,
JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Myrmidon wrote:
> > So, who's been up to what?
>
> I posted a link to my Keepers / Nephilim a couple weeks ago. I dunno of
> you ever took a look at them.

Yeah, I did indeed. I thought they looked good. I simply didn't
have anything highly helpful to add so I didn't comment. (And I was
chipping away at the list of stuff to be prepped.)

> Since them, I test primed them. Unfortunately, the GS wasn't blending
> in quite right, so I'm in the process of reworking some of the GS
> details. I need to get more Super Glue to properly build up a hardened
> surface as SGT instead of raw GS.

Hmmm, I haven't really tried much of the GS. I did try some at
Gen-con a couple years ago (seminar from the guy who does all the over
the top green stuff conversions like flame covered LOTD that was on the
New Wave store site some time ago - Joe Ortez? - hell I can't
remember/spell his name). Anyway, I didn't much like the green stuff
though the seminar was good. Qrab and Donovan Borman both recommended a
product called 'Magic Sculp' that I've been using for a while now and
really really like.

http://www.magicsculp.com/

Apparently they no longer sell it directly on the site but through
distributers now. I'm thinking of ordering the 25lb set of the stuff as
I'm finding more and more uses for it. It takes a bit of experience, as
the stuff is a bit sticky at first, but simply mixing it up and waiting
for 20 - 30 minutes and then working it seems to do well for me. This
stuff can be thinned with water so that it can be applied in thin layers
and easily smoothed and it sets up rock hard. At Qrab's advice I
started working in layers and the results have been pleasing to me so
far. Once it's dry, you can glue, sand, drill this stuff as needed and
it takes acrylic paint just fine. I've been using it to hid joints and
seams as well as add spikes, base details, etc to minis.

Hope that helps,

Myrmidon

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

September 15, 2005 9:55:29 AM

Myrmidon wrote:
> John Hwang, JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com Varfed ...

>>I posted a link to my Keepers / Nephilim a couple weeks ago. I dunno of
>>you ever took a look at them.
>
> Yeah, I did indeed. I thought they looked good. I simply didn't
> have anything highly helpful to add so I didn't comment.

OK.

>>Since them, I test primed them. Unfortunately, the GS wasn't blending
>>in quite right, so I'm in the process of reworking some of the GS
>>details. I need to get more Super Glue to properly build up a hardened
>>surface as SGT instead of raw GS.
>
> Hmmm, I haven't really tried much of the GS. I did try some at
> Gen-con a couple years ago (seminar from the guy who does all the
> over the top green stuff conversions like flame covered LOTD that
> was on the New Wave store site some time ago - Joe Ortez? - hell
> I can't remember/spell his name).

OK, I know who you're thinking of, tho I don't think very highly of his
work at all. He's trying so hard, it comes off as extremely amateurish
and overwrought. Compare and contrast with Vicki Lamb's work.

> Anyway, I didn't much like the green stuff though the seminar was
> good. Qrab and Donovan Borman both recommended a product called
> 'Magic Sculp' that I've been using for a while now and
> really really like.
>
> http://www.magicsculp.com/

Cool. I'll have to check this out.

> Apparently they no longer sell it directly on the site but through
> distributers now.

Pity.

> I'm thinking of ordering the 25lb set of the stuff as I'm finding
> more and more uses for it. It takes a bit of experience, as the
> stuff is a bit sticky at first, but simply mixing it up and waiting
> for 20 - 30 minutes and then working it seems to do well for me.

Sounds very much like GS, starting sticky / taffy like, then firming up.

> This stuff can be thinned with water so that it can be applied
> in thin layers and easily smoothed and it sets up rock hard.

Oohhh. That sounds *very* handy! If it dries hard and can be worked
thin, then it's good stuff.

SGT isn't sculptable, but it is workable down to paper-thin.

> At Qrab's advice I started working in layers and the results have
> been pleasing to me so far.

Cool. Got any examples you can share?

> Once it's dry, you can glue, sand, drill this stuff as needed and
> it takes acrylic paint just fine. I've been using it to hid joints and
> seams as well as add spikes, base details, etc to minis.

Awesome!

> Hope that helps,
>
> Myrmidon

It does, thanks very very much!

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
September 15, 2005 11:30:28 AM

In article <l18We.25039$8h6.2905@trnddc09>, John Hwang,
JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Myrmidon wrote:
> > John Hwang, JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com Varfed ...
>
> >>I posted a link to my Keepers / Nephilim a couple weeks ago. I dunno of
> >>you ever took a look at them.
> >
> > Yeah, I did indeed. I thought they looked good. I simply didn't
> > have anything highly helpful to add so I didn't comment.
>
> OK.
>
> >>Since them, I test primed them. Unfortunately, the GS wasn't blending
> >>in quite right, so I'm in the process of reworking some of the GS
> >>details. I need to get more Super Glue to properly build up a hardened
> >>surface as SGT instead of raw GS.
> >
> > Hmmm, I haven't really tried much of the GS. I did try some at
> > Gen-con a couple years ago (seminar from the guy who does all the
> > over the top green stuff conversions like flame covered LOTD that
> > was on the New Wave store site some time ago - Joe Ortez? - hell
> > I can't remember/spell his name).
>
> OK, I know who you're thinking of, tho I don't think very highly of his
> work at all. He's trying so hard, it comes off as extremely amateurish
> and overwrought. Compare and contrast with Vicki Lamb's work.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of his LOTD stuff - I saw some of his later
work on a bunch of Iron Warriors minis. It was a lot more detailed and
pro looking without being 'eye cluttering' and added nicely to the
minis. I found it a lot more appealing. I just couldn't think of Joe's
last name - IIRC 'Orteza' maybe? The seminar wasn't bad - just that you
can't learn tons in 1.5 to 3 hours (typical Gen Con seminar), but he did
provide good info on his techniques and some nice notes and such that
were worth while.

> > Anyway, I didn't much like the green stuff though the seminar was
> > good. Qrab and Donovan Borman both recommended a product called
> > 'Magic Sculp' that I've been using for a while now and
> > really really like.
> >
> > http://www.magicsculp.com/
>
> Cool. I'll have to check this out.
>
> > Apparently they no longer sell it directly on the site but through
> > distributers now.
>
> Pity.

The link to the 'Sculptor.com' site has the larger 5 and 20 pound
deals. The 5 pound deal is well worth it. If you're not certain you'll
like the stuff, other sites sell amounts as small as 4 oz deals.

> > I'm thinking of ordering the 25lb set of the stuff as I'm finding
> > more and more uses for it. It takes a bit of experience, as the
> > stuff is a bit sticky at first, but simply mixing it up and waiting
> > for 20 - 30 minutes and then working it seems to do well for me.
>
> Sounds very much like GS, starting sticky / taffy like, then firming up.
>
> > This stuff can be thinned with water so that it can be applied
> > in thin layers and easily smoothed and it sets up rock hard.
>
> Oohhh. That sounds *very* handy! If it dries hard and can be worked
> thin, then it's good stuff.
>
> SGT isn't sculptable, but it is workable down to paper-thin.
>
> > At Qrab's advice I started working in layers and the results have
> > been pleasing to me so far.
>
> Cool. Got any examples you can share?

Nothing finished. I'm working (slowly) on a home-made Harridan
off of a plastic 'Jurassic Park' toy - blame this one squarely on RTM
and his smart-ass comments. It's got battery powered sound effects and
is entertainingly cheesey. Since this stuff thins down with water so
you can spread it easily and then drys hard, I'm also toying with the
idea of getting some high-density foam and carving a Tyrgon and then
covering it with MS for durability and detailing. I was thinking of
covering the foam with standard epoxy - but it'd be expensive in terms
of both epoxy and cheap brushes too.

> > Once it's dry, you can glue, sand, drill this stuff as needed and
> > it takes acrylic paint just fine. I've been using it to hid joints and
> > seams as well as add spikes, base details, etc to minis.
>
> Awesome!

I just used my dremel to carve Tau symbols into 'old stones' (sort
of like Norse runes) as base detailing for Matt's Tau stuff. It's also
becoming small tentacles and odd growths for the base of my 3rd plastic
Fex and the new Tyrant. And it'll be the basis of the 'rock formation'
on the base of my 3rd Ed (magnetic winged) Tyrant as well. Once I get
these done up, I promise I'll get some pics up on Gen-Bus.

Myr

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

September 15, 2005 4:09:28 PM

In article <MPG.1d92b7e334b590a598a624@news-server.woh.rr.com>, Myrmidon wrote:

> So, who's been up to what?

Not much. I've been too busy with other things, but I'm trying to
convert a unit of 30 Gobbos with hand weapon and sheilds. I've been
using Orc and Gobbo spear tips to make daggers and swords. So far so
good, but I'm starting to run out of variations with the spear tips.
Is there anyone here who has any bright ideas on how to make more hand
weapons for the Gobbos?

--
Joakim
Anonymous

It was a cold day in September when jockelinde entered the world pub known
as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> In article <MPG.1d92b7e334b590a598a624@news-server.woh.rr.com>, Myrmidon wrote:
>
> > So, who's been up to what?
>
> Not much. I've been too busy with other things, but I'm trying to
> convert a unit of 30 Gobbos with hand weapon and sheilds. I've been
> using Orc and Gobbo spear tips to make daggers and swords. So far so
> good, but I'm starting to run out of variations with the spear tips.
> Is there anyone here who has any bright ideas on how to make more hand
> weapons for the Gobbos?

Toothpicks and green stuff for spears, thin sheet plastic (didn't someone
mention trying to find a use for all of those credit card offers) for other
kinds of blades. Don't forget things like sickles. You could also go out and
purchase some of the cheap 3-3/4" G.I. Joe knock off toys. That should get
you an assortment of blades that won't look too out of place on a GW mini...
--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 5:17:16 PM

Myrmidon wrote:
> Howdy,

SNIP

> So, who's been up to what?

SNIP

Hey Myr,
Here's a brief of what I'm working on. Valkyrie, void 1.1 resin
spaceship from figuretrader, terrain for my brother-in-laws bugs,(which
you played in the rtt a couple of weeks ago) more terrain for my buddies
star wars cmg game. Trying to finish urban war gangs.

BTW
how do you set up for diagonal deployment? :-)

Floyd
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 7:14:12 PM

In article <MPG.1d9329b7a13bd8498a671@news.west.earthlink.net>, Jim M,
hnjcomics@gmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> It was a cold day in September when jockelinde entered the world pub known
> as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...
>
> > In article <MPG.1d92b7e334b590a598a624@news-server.woh.rr.com>, Myrmidon wrote:
> >
> > > So, who's been up to what?
> >
> > Not much. I've been too busy with other things, but I'm trying to
> > convert a unit of 30 Gobbos with hand weapon and sheilds. I've been
> > using Orc and Gobbo spear tips to make daggers and swords. So far so
> > good, but I'm starting to run out of variations with the spear tips.
> > Is there anyone here who has any bright ideas on how to make more hand
> > weapons for the Gobbos?
> >

> Toothpicks and green stuff for spears, thin sheet plastic (didn't someone
> mention trying to find a use for all of those credit card offers) for other
> kinds of blades. Don't forget things like sickles.

Hmmm, Joakim is overseas, but I'm guessing they get spammed with
those cheese credit card offers too. Really though, just about any thin
hard plastic that could be cut or shaped with a jewelers saw would work.
I know Qrab made some nice 'home made' blades for his plague bearer
conversions out of thin plastic sheet. It might also be worth checking
to see if anyone local has any left over skeleton or zombie bits as the
skeletons in particular have plenty of hand weapons the gobbos could
use.

> You could also go out and
> purchase some of the cheap 3-3/4" G.I. Joe knock off toys. That should get
> you an assortment of blades that won't look too out of place on a GW mini...

Heh! I saw the reference to G.I. Joe figures and thought for sure
you were going to recommend he arm a few gobbos with small scale MP-5's
and Uzi's. "Gob-bo the Destroyer" anyone?

Pictures opposing player looking over Joakim's gobbos:

"Sword, spear, axe, spear, Uzi, mace, spear... Hey! Wait a second."

Myrmidon

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

September 15, 2005 8:02:17 PM

>> Not much. I've been too busy with other things, but I'm trying to
>> convert a unit of 30 Gobbos with hand weapon and shields. I've been
>> using Orc and Gobbo spear tips to make daggers and swords. So far so
>> good, but I'm starting to run out of variations with the spear tips.
>> Is there anyone here who has any bright ideas on how to make more
>> hand weapons for the Gobbos?
>>

> Toothpicks and green stuff for spears, thin sheet plastic (didn't
> someone mention trying to find a use for all of those credit card
> offers) for other kinds of blades. Don't forget things like sickles.
> You could also go out and purchase some of the cheap 3-3/4" G.I. Joe
> knock off toys. That should get you an assortment of blades that won't
> look too out of place on a GW mini...

You could always ask around for spares from other armies.
I think all the box sets come with different weapon options, so the people
you play against should have planty.
Plus, it makes your gobbos more colourful - they look like they've either
won mighty victories or (more likely) looted a lot of battlefields.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 8:45:56 PM

It was a cold day in September when Myrmidon entered the world pub known as
rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> In article <MPG.1d9329b7a13bd8498a671@news.west.earthlink.net>, Jim M,
> hnjcomics@gmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> > It was a cold day in September when jockelinde entered the world pub known
> > as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> > > Not much. I've been too busy with other things, but I'm trying to
> > > convert a unit of 30 Gobbos with hand weapon and sheilds. I've been
> > > using Orc and Gobbo spear tips to make daggers and swords. So far so
> > > good, but I'm starting to run out of variations with the spear tips.
> > > Is there anyone here who has any bright ideas on how to make more hand
> > > weapons for the Gobbos?
> > >

> > Toothpicks and green stuff for spears, thin sheet plastic (didn't someone
> > mention trying to find a use for all of those credit card offers) for other
> > kinds of blades. Don't forget things like sickles.
>
> Hmmm, Joakim is overseas, but I'm guessing they get spammed with
> those cheese credit card offers too. Really though, just about any thin
> hard plastic that could be cut or shaped with a jewelers saw would work.
> I know Qrab made some nice 'home made' blades for his plague bearer
> conversions out of thin plastic sheet. It might also be worth checking
> to see if anyone local has any left over skeleton or zombie bits as the
> skeletons in particular have plenty of hand weapons the gobbos could
> use.

I forgot that he was outside the U.S. it's easy to forget that someone lives
in a different country when you turn the computer on and their name pops
up...especially once you pass 50 by with barely a wink and a nod...

> > You could also go out and
> > purchase some of the cheap 3-3/4" G.I. Joe knock off toys. That should get
> > you an assortment of blades that won't look too out of place on a GW mini...
> >

> Heh! I saw the reference to G.I. Joe figures and thought for sure
> you were going to recommend he arm a few gobbos with small scale MP-5's
> and Uzi's. "Gob-bo the Destroyer" anyone?

Nah, that's what I'm thinking about using for grots and HEY! Have you been
peeking at my army when I wasn't looking?

--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 8:47:38 PM

It was a cold day in September when Matt C entered the world pub known as
rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> >> Not much. I've been too busy with other things, but I'm trying to
> >> convert a unit of 30 Gobbos with hand weapon and shields. I've been
> >> using Orc and Gobbo spear tips to make daggers and swords. So far so
> >> good, but I'm starting to run out of variations with the spear tips.
> >> Is there anyone here who has any bright ideas on how to make more
> >> hand weapons for the Gobbos?
> >>

> > Toothpicks and green stuff for spears, thin sheet plastic (didn't
> > someone mention trying to find a use for all of those credit card
> > offers) for other kinds of blades. Don't forget things like sickles.
> > You could also go out and purchase some of the cheap 3-3/4" G.I. Joe
> > knock off toys. That should get you an assortment of blades that won't
> > look too out of place on a GW mini...
>
> You could always ask around for spares from other armies.
> I think all the box sets come with different weapon options, so the people
> you play against should have planty.
> Plus, it makes your gobbos more colourful - they look like they've either
> won mighty victories or (more likely) looted a lot of battlefields.

HEH, two gobbo's on one base trying to lift a great sword...
--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 8:48:42 PM

In article <wveWe.11849$9i4.3021@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
floyd taylor, ctaylor01@sprynet.com Varfed out the following in Timo
speak...
> Myrmidon wrote:
> > Howdy,
>
> SNIP
> >
> > So, who's been up to what?
>
> SNIP
>
> Hey Myr,
> Here's a brief of what I'm working on. Valkyrie, void 1.1 resin
> spaceship from figuretrader, terrain for my brother-in-laws bugs,(which
> you played in the rtt a couple of weeks ago) more terrain for my buddies
> star wars cmg game. Trying to finish urban war gangs.

Hey!

1. Glad to hear that. It sounds like the new job is actually leaving
you some time to do the stuff you like - and hopefully it's less
stressful as well. (Say 'Hi' to the misses for me too.)

2. Doyle's your brother-in-law? Small world - go figure. :)  What
sort of terrain are you doing for him & does he / do you need any foam
stuff cut? Let me know if you need stuff cut.

I finally finished my 'insane terrain' hills project a while back along
with 20 or so more jungle foliage clusters. I mailed off a huge Dell PC
box crammed full of hills to a good friend of mine and I still have a
ton of hills for my table. (Honestly I've probably still got enough for
about 3 gaming tables.) The only thing I've got left to finish is the
bunker-hill with trenches piece. It's painted, I just haven't finished
detailing it and the foam-core bunkers still aren't finished for it yet
either.

> BTW
> how do you set up for diagonal deployment? :-)

<Looks at the RTT scenarios again.> Well, if I'm reading this
correctly, it shows a diagonal column that runs 18 inches in either
direction from the corner (leaving a column that's approx 30 inches wide
or so at a guess) traveling the entire length of the table. From the
looks of the diagram and the way it's highlighted - it looks as if who
ever gets to deploy first can set up units clear up to the very front
most corner of their deployment table quarter. (Which is one of the
reasons I'm not terribly fond of this deployment style - due to random
chance you have the potential to push your opponent 18 inches back into
their own deployment zone, which be a serious handicap if there's good
terrain at the center of the table.) Hopefully I didn't screw it up?
Not having played in an RTT before I'll be embarrassed and definitely
owe Doyle an appology if I did.

Looking at the pics of my game with Doyle - terrain & deployment zones
weren't the major factor they could have been. The table we played on
had very sparse terrain. We both deployed a bit back from the very
front corners of our respective deployment zones leaving both armys
arrayed face to face across an open killing ground. (Middle of the
table had one low off center hill and no other terrain in roughly a 12
inch radius.) There was no cover, and no subtlety in deployment. I
won largely due to (again random luck) in winning the roll to move/shoot
first. Had Doyle won the roll to go first, I'd have undoubtedly taken a
pummeling on the first turn in stead of him. (Poor Doyle had horrible
luck on making a lot of save rolls that game too. He'd look at me and
go I need anything but a 1 or 2 and then proceed to roll 1's.)

It's one of my few major grips with 4th Ed still - on tables with little
terrain the 'I go first, I win!' syndrome is still in effect almost
invariably negating any skill or strategy advantage the 2nd player might
have had over their opponent.

Myr

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

September 15, 2005 9:09:42 PM

On 9/15/05 11:14 AM, in article
MPG.1d935b5e298028db98a627@news-server.woh.rr.com, "Myrmidon"
<ImNot@home.com> wrote:

> Pictures opposing player looking over Joakim's gobbos:
>
> "Sword, spear, axe, spear, Uzi, mace, spear... Hey! Wait a second."

Gobins with uzi's ...that would just be too painful when they all ran away.

jaent
--
Conflict cannot be avoided but perhaps we it can be confined to a mental
theater.

Myrmidon wrote:
> [...]
> let me know and I'll put up pics on Genbus. And I'm currently painting
> up an 11 strong 'Crimson Fist' assault squad - 1 Sgt & 10 troopers
> including 2 with Plasma pistols, and one with a pair of hand flamers
> {i.e. counts as a standard flamer}. I am however reminded of why I hate
> all the 'extras' - it's a pain painting all the grenades and other
> little fiddly bits on these guys.
>
> At any rate, I've managed to knock out a fair chunk of my goal (and a
> butt-load of minis it is too) and only have 8 more Nids minis to prep
> before I'm done. I'll likely see if I can't get some more Marines and a
> couple of speeders prepped as well since my friend Matt would like a bit
> more variety in my Marine units since he's using that while he's
> building his Tau stuff.
>
> So, who's been up to what?
>
> (Besides Singers eating more paint - damnit!)

I have assembled the legs and torso of my Space Marine Commander (The
new plastic one) which I will probably never use becasue you can't take
one with "Scions of Mars" which make the techmarine HQ and vet sgts in
Termie armor. Need to buy a pin vice/bits. Getting ready for my "Counts
as" Tau titan, Freedom Gundam. (now where did those VDR get off to...)

-Joe
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:56:23 AM

> So, who's been up to what?
>
> (Besides Singers eating more paint - damnit!)

I know I am a newb here and stuff, but anyway.

Currentley all I have to paint are 24 (+1 converted) dryads. So far I have
done around 3 fully.

I am using 3 squads of 8 dryads, each squad will be a different. Two
schemes are taken from the GW site (one is the 'ghost' dryads, basically
bleached bone), the other is more ashen colour, coming out finally to a dark
grey. The final unit will be a standard summer (I think!) scheme from the
Wood Elves book.

They are actually surprisingly easy to paint, its mostly just primer (black
or white for the ghosts), then just a build up of varying degrees of
drybrushing and highlights to bring out the final colour. The detail
(runes, leaves), are also fairly simple to paint.

I would of had a War Eagle (RE: I will use as a great eagle), to paint, but
my girlfriend decided she liked it and wanted to paint it. It was her first
mini and indeed her first EVER painting of anything, with a small amount of
direction from myself (I am hardly a pro...), she did a great job of it!

After those, well, depending on cash, I will likely do some wild riders and
waywatchers next, and might possibly be persuaded to paint some of my
brothers host of orks.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 6:32:55 AM

Myrmidon wrote:

> Howdy

Hey,

> I thought I'd check in again and see who's doing what

I was reminded of my mortality the other day (dull story).

So, with a new perspective, I hurriedly inventoried my pile-o-minis.

Sure enough, nearly all were [*gasp*] completely painted!

I prescribed a hundred dollar infusion of of nekkit figs, stat!

But really, what does a lousy c-note gain a modeller these days?

How might one net the greatest *number* of Citadel figs per dollar?

I found there is only one route, and it meanders through Middle Earth.

+++ LotR game boxes are less expensive than the figs they contain. +++

Happy paradox! I got one of each game: Fellowship, Towers and Return.

This resulted in each fig costing under US$1, including Cavalry!

I feverishly assembled and primed all of the Orc and Goblin figs.

Then I suddenly remembered to -stop-.

Whew! That was close . . .

Pla-They're for MERP! Really!-ya
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 7:37:50 AM

Myrmidon wrote:
> John Hwang, JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com Varfed ...

>>OK, I know who you're thinking of, tho I don't think very highly of his
>>work at all. He's trying so hard, it comes off as extremely amateurish
>>and overwrought. Compare and contrast with Vicki Lamb's work.
>
> Yeah, I'm not a fan of his LOTD stuff - I saw some of his later
> work on a bunch of Iron Warriors minis. It was a lot more detailed and
> pro looking without being 'eye cluttering' and added nicely to the
> minis. I found it a lot more appealing. I just couldn't think of Joe's
> last name - IIRC 'Orteza' maybe?

Sounds about right.

>>> Qrab and Donovan Borman both recommended a product called
>>> 'Magic Sculp' that I've been using for a while now and
>>> really really like.
>>>
>>>http://www.magicsculp.com/
>>
>>Cool. I'll have to check this out.

> The link to the 'Sculptor.com' site has the larger 5 and 20 pound
> deals.

Thanks!

>>>At Qrab's advice I started working in layers and the results have
>>>been pleasing to me so far.
>>
>>Cool. Got any examples you can share?
>
> Nothing finished.

You can still show off Works in Progress!

> I'm working (slowly) on a home-made Harridan
> off of a plastic 'Jurassic Park' toy - blame this one squarely on RTM
> and his smart-ass comments.

See? That sounds like something worth showing!

> Since this stuff thins down with water so
> you can spread it easily and then drys hard, I'm also toying with the
> idea of getting some high-density foam and carving a Tyrgon and then
> covering it with MS for durability and detailing.

I'd like to see how it goes - if that works, it might be the answer for
that Eldar Titan I've been thinking about building.

> I just used my dremel to carve Tau symbols into 'old stones' (sort
> of like Norse runes) as base detailing for Matt's Tau stuff. It's also
> becoming small tentacles and odd growths for the base of my 3rd plastic
> Fex and the new Tyrant. And it'll be the basis of the 'rock formation'
> on the base of my 3rd Ed (magnetic winged) Tyrant as well. Once I get
> these done up, I promise I'll get some pics up on Gen-Bus.

Excellent. I can't wait to see it.

Also, FWIW, I just bought a Tensor "Excelsior II" 150W Halogen drafting
lamp at Staples for only $40. I was surprised to see them back in stock
- I thought Halogens had been discontinued.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
September 16, 2005 10:52:40 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Myrmidon said

> So, who's been up to what?
>
> (Besides Singers eating more paint - damnit!)

Me nuttin. Nuttin at all.

--
Rob Singers
RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Myrmidon wrote:

> weather is just to damn cold to spray primer in, even with heating the
> minis and the primer before hand since I can only spray out in the
> garage. (No exhaust vent hood and spray painting in the basement =

Ah the joy of the garage :)

Mostly Im getting my epic Eldar up to speed for E:A. Had plenty of
guardian squads but zero inthe way of aspects, support cannon etc. So
recently there's been a few farseer stands produced, plus jetbikes
actually painted, warwalkers as well as heavy weaps platforms...Im staring
at a stack of Wraithguard and support platforms at the moment...though I
keep getting diverted to try and complete my Mighty Armies of Orcs and
Barbs (trying to intro it to my club)

Tim
--
When playing rugby, its not the winning that counts, but the taking apart
ICQ: 5178568

In article <MPG.1d935b5e298028db98a627@news-server.woh.rr.com>, Myrmidon wrote:
> In article <MPG.1d9329b7a13bd8498a671@news.west.earthlink.net>, Jim M,
> hnjcomics@gmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
>> It was a cold day in September when jockelinde entered the world pub known
>> as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

>> > Not much. I've been too busy with other things, but I'm trying to
>> > convert a unit of 30 Gobbos with hand weapon and sheilds. I've been
>> > using Orc and Gobbo spear tips to make daggers and swords. So far so
>> > good, but I'm starting to run out of variations with the spear tips.
>> > Is there anyone here who has any bright ideas on how to make more hand
>> > weapons for the Gobbos?
>> >

>> Toothpicks and green stuff for spears, thin sheet plastic (didn't someone
>> mention trying to find a use for all of those credit card offers) for other
>> kinds of blades. Don't forget things like sickles.
>
> Hmmm, Joakim is overseas, but I'm guessing they get spammed with
> those cheese credit card offers too. Really though, just about any thin
> hard plastic that could be cut or shaped with a jewelers saw would work.
> I know Qrab made some nice 'home made' blades for his plague bearer
> conversions out of thin plastic sheet.

I can't say I'm drowning in cheese credit card offers, but I can find
enough thin plastic to make a few blades.

> It might also be worth checking
> to see if anyone local has any left over skeleton or zombie bits as the
> skeletons in particular have plenty of hand weapons the gobbos could
> use.

This is an excellent idea. IIRC the skeleton hand weapons are not
particularly well preserved or sophisticated, so they should fit the
gobbos well. Getting skellie hand weapons will be easy - I've recently
let the local VC player raid my bitz box, so I should not have any
problems convincing him to let me raid his bitz box.

>> You could also go out and
>> purchase some of the cheap 3-3/4" G.I. Joe knock off toys. That should get
>> you an assortment of blades that won't look too out of place on a GW mini...
>>

> Heh! I saw the reference to G.I. Joe figures and thought for sure
> you were going to recommend he arm a few gobbos with small scale MP-5's
> and Uzi's. "Gob-bo the Destroyer" anyone?
>
> Pictures opposing player looking over Joakim's gobbos:
>
> "Sword, spear, axe, spear, Uzi, mace, spear... Hey! Wait a second."

Oh, I already have plenty of gobbos like that. The problem is that
they are on these funny round bases and I usually insist on calling
them grotz instead of gobbos.
;)

--
Joakim
Anonymous

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Robert Singers wrote:

> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Chris said
>
>> Reminds me of the book "Grunts" - I don't remember if it was any good,
>> but the storyline had a bunch of orcs stumble across Vietnam-war era
>> US military gear. Amusing enough :)
>
> IIRC Mary Gentle. It's not high literature but it's definately worth
> reading. The bit I like is when all the squads want to be black squad.

I dimly remember a cross over DnD/Paranoia adventure from..yaieeee...too
many moons ago where this was a possiblity for the orcs to obtein cone
rifles :)  :)

Anyone actually got any details on that - I cannot remember if it was a
published standalone adventure or a magazine special or what....

Tim
--
When playing rugby, its not the winning that counts, but the taking apart
ICQ: 5178568
September 16, 2005 6:44:00 PM

"Janet Quick" <janetq@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 9/15/05 11:14 AM, in article
> MPG.1d935b5e298028db98a627@news-server.woh.rr.com, "Myrmidon"
> <ImNot@home.com> wrote:
>>
>> Pictures opposing player looking over Joakim's gobbos:
>>
>> "Sword, spear, axe, spear, Uzi, mace, spear... Hey! Wait a second."
>>
> Gobins with uzi's ...that would just be too painful when they all ran
> away.
>

> jaent

Reminds me of the book "Grunts" - I don't remember if it was any good, but
the storyline had a bunch of orcs stumble across Vietnam-war era US military
gear. Amusing enough :)

--
chris/bass/idoru
'idoru' website: http://www.idoru.com.au

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Chris said

> Reminds me of the book "Grunts" - I don't remember if it was any good,
> but the storyline had a bunch of orcs stumble across Vietnam-war era
> US military gear. Amusing enough :)

IIRC Mary Gentle. It's not high literature but it's definately worth
reading. The bit I like is when all the squads want to be black squad.

--
Rob Singers
RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Foemina Erit Ruina Tua
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 12:06:43 AM

In article <Xns96D3CC9519208rsingers@IP-Hidden>, Robert Singers wrote:
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Chris said
>
>> Reminds me of the book "Grunts" - I don't remember if it was any good,
>> but the storyline had a bunch of orcs stumble across Vietnam-war era
>> US military gear. Amusing enough :)
>
> IIRC Mary Gentle.

You recall correctly.

> It's not high literature but it's definately worth
> reading.

Seconded.

> The bit I like is when all the squads want to be black squad.

:)

--
Joakim
Anonymous

"Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message
> Howdy,

> Snip

> So, who's been up to what?
>
> (Besides Singers eating more paint - damnit!)
>

> Myrmidon

Yay! One of these progress report threads where I can actually say I have
FINISHED something. My wife bought me the Battle of McCragge for my
birthday last month, and I have painted all the marines and officer to flesh
out my Grey Knight army.

Now I'm working on a new colour scheme on my GK terminators, using codex
grey instead of boltgun metal as the base colour.

I've also got my 2 dreadnoughts converted with magnets to allow me to swap
arms on them, and they are next on my painting schedule.

Later in the queue is my Imperial Guardsmen, all modelled and spraypainted
in camo green, need detailing. Then my GK land raider, which is assembled
and primed black. I'm gonna see what I think of the grey GK's before I
decide what to paint the LR.

Then I'm moving on to my fantasy armies.

Now if only I could get some decent pictures to post. I've tried a few
times to take shots with my digital, but they always come out blurry as
hell.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:51:45 AM

"Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message

>> So, who's been up to what?
>>
>> (Besides Singers eating more paint - damnit!)
>

> I know I am a newb here and stuff, but anyway.

Hey, as quiet as it is here compared to how things used to be, we need all
the new blood we can get.

As for what I've been doing recently..... nothing. I've been far too caught
up in playing Rome: Total War and IL-2 Forgotten Battles, and job hunting
down in London, to bother with painting and gaming. Plus 4th Ed 40K doesn't
hold my interest so much as 3rd Ed did, and I can't find regular opponents
for Epic Armageddon up here. Saying all that, I'm really tempted to go on a
crazy conversion fest for a themed Speed Freakz Ork army if I can get hold
of some vehicles cheap secondhand. Maybe when the new Tau list is released
it'll give me some units to make Not-Tau conversions of too.

I have been messing around with my long-running attempt to write some
alternate vehicle rules for 40K, though, they might get posted on here in a
bit for you folks to shred.

Tim
--
----------------
I love the smell of vomit in the newsgroup, it smells like...VICTORY!

If you want to reply by email, replace the asterisks with underscores.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 7:49:41 AM

Myrmidon wrote:
>>how do you set up for diagonal deployment? :-)
>
> it shows a diagonal column that runs 18 inches in either
> direction from the corner (leaving a column that's approx 30 inches wide
> or so at a guess) traveling the entire length of the table.

The exclusion zone is about 23" wide, so the forces are ever so much
slightly closer than with a traditional 12" deep DZ.

> it looks as if who ever gets to deploy first can set up units
> clear up to the very front most corner of their deployment table quarter.

Huh? It's just like 12" deep DZ, with 24" separation, but rotated slightly.

> due to random chance you have the potential to push your opponent
> 18 inches back into their own deployment zone,

How? If the DZ is like this:

AAAAAAAAA---
AAAAAA------
AAA---------
------------
---------BBB
------BBBBBB
---BBBBBBBBB

Player A sets models anywhere in DZ A, and Player B sets their models in
DZ B. There's no pushing back to speak of. 40k4 has basically done
away with the whole 40k3 Cleanse from the center of the board thing.

> It's one of my few major grips with 4th Ed still - on tables with little
> terrain the 'I go first, I win!' syndrome is still in effect

That is why 40k4 specifies 25% terrain coverage for each 2x2' square of
board space, to guarantee a minimum amount of terrain for the board.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
September 17, 2005 1:21:06 PM

"Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message

> Usually I primer and paint several units and then repeat. But the
> problem I run into is that here (Ohio - armpit of America) the winter
> weather is just to damn cold to spray primer in, even with heating the
> minis and the primer before hand since I can only spray out in the
> garage. (No exhaust vent hood and spray painting in the basement =
> instant death from my wife.) So, rather than running out of primered
> units to paint this winter I've decided to get all the remainder of my
> bugs, as well as all the bugs I'm painting for a friend's army done up
> before the weather here goes to 'No more primering for you' cold.

Ha! Even here in SoCal there is a "Painting Season".
As soon as the temp drops below 60 at night, I stop spraying.
I've been doing the same as you: Priming everything I have in prep for the
cold, cold nights ahead (it can get down to 59 degrees out here...)

> So, who's been up to what?

Painted half of the bugs from my MacCragge box (with the help of my
daughter)
Painted eight Violator CSMs
Primed about 60 'stealers, 32 gaunts, 3 Carnies, 2 Zoanthropes, misc
warriors and a Tyrant or 2...
primed a Chaos Demon Prince
Primed enough Epic minis to choke a Minke whale.

And stared at the rest of the stuff.

I will never die.

--
Sir Scott "And buy stocks in Krylon... " McDaniel
Anonymous

On 9/17/05 12:21 PM, in article SnXWe.118704$Ji4.108089@fed1read03, "Scott
McDaniel" <smcdaniel1@cox.net> wrote:

> Ha! Even here in SoCal there is a "Painting Season".
> As soon as the temp drops below 60 at night, I stop spraying.

When the temperature stops getting below 60 at night here I start thinking
of moving to someplace less tropical.

> I've been doing the same as you: Priming everything I have in prep for the
> cold, cold nights ahead (it can get down to 59 degrees out here...)

Nobody else finds this sentence funny?

janet
--
We are the women men warned us about.
Robin Morgan

It was a cold day in September when Janet Quick entered the world pub known
as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> On 9/17/05 12:21 PM, in article SnXWe.118704$Ji4.108089@fed1read03, "Scott
> McDaniel" <smcdaniel1@cox.net> wrote:
>

> > Ha! Even here in SoCal there is a "Painting Season".
> > As soon as the temp drops below 60 at night, I stop spraying.
>
> When the temperature stops getting below 60 at night here I start thinking
> of moving to someplace less tropical.
>
> > I've been doing the same as you: Priming everything I have in prep for the
> > cold, cold nights ahead (it can get down to 59 degrees out here...)
> >
> Nobody else finds this sentence funny?

I can't seem to find a thermometer that will measure temperatures that
low... must be a damnyankee thing...
--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 7:45:26 PM

"Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message
> Howdy,
<snip>
a lot of text
</snip

Well, I'm finishing 3 Obliterators for my Iron Warriors army.

They were a real pain to assemble, but actually quite easy to paint.

I'm also painting 5 bikers, a basilisk and about 16 Boltgun troopers.

2000 points have to be finished by September 30th as a local tournament
starts there.

--
Lars Linde
Denmark

P.S.
Yes, I play Iron Warriors
No, I have NEVER been accused of cheese.

;-)
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 10:13:15 PM

Playa wrote:
> Myrmidon wrote:
>

>>Howdy
>

> Hey,
>

>> I thought I'd check in again and see who's doing what
>

> I was reminded of my mortality the other day (dull story).
>
> So, with a new perspective, I hurriedly inventoried my pile-o-minis.
>
> Sure enough, nearly all were [*gasp*] completely painted!
>
> I prescribed a hundred dollar infusion of of nekkit figs, stat!
>
> But really, what does a lousy c-note gain a modeller these days?
>
> How might one net the greatest *number* of Citadel figs per dollar?
>
> I found there is only one route, and it meanders through Middle Earth.
>
> +++ LotR game boxes are less expensive than the figs they contain. +++
>
> Happy paradox! I got one of each game: Fellowship, Towers and Return.
>
> This resulted in each fig costing under US$1, including Cavalry!
>
> I feverishly assembled and primed all of the Orc and Goblin figs.
>
> Then I suddenly remembered to -stop-.
>
> Whew! That was close . . .
>

> Pla-They're for MERP! Really!-ya

The plastics from the game boxes are among the best in the line as well.
I have 3 (fellowship) games worth of elves and men and goblins. Need to
pick up a few of the "mounted and on foot" and the other 2 game boxes.
are they cheap right now on e-bay?

Joe -They're for D&D 3.5. Honest- Boster
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 5:21:09 PM

In article <i6rWe.7437$R9.6318@trnddc02>, John Hwang,
JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Myrmidon wrote:
> > John Hwang, JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com Varfed ...
>
> >>OK, I know who you're thinking of, tho I don't think very highly of his
> >>work at all. He's trying so hard, it comes off as extremely amateurish
> >>and overwrought. Compare and contrast with Vicki Lamb's work.
> >
> > Yeah, I'm not a fan of his LOTD stuff - I saw some of his later
> > work on a bunch of Iron Warriors minis. It was a lot more detailed and
> > pro looking without being 'eye cluttering' and added nicely to the
> > minis. I found it a lot more appealing. I just couldn't think of Joe's
> > last name - IIRC 'Orteza' maybe?
>
> Sounds about right.

> >>Cool. I'll have to check this out.
>
> > The link to the 'Sculptor.com' site has the larger 5 and 20 pound
> > deals.
>
> Thanks!

> >>Cool. Got any examples you can share?
> >
> > Nothing finished.
>
> You can still show off Works in Progress!

Ok, I'll see if I can get some shots of the small weird stuff I've
done and the 'teeth' for my Nid tunnel enterances. (Oh, and lets not
forget the tiny 'shrooms' - any WFB player will tell you it's not going
to win a Golden Deamon without shrooms on the base. ;)

> > I'm working (slowly) on a home-made Harridan
> > off of a plastic 'Jurassic Park' toy - blame this one squarely on RTM
> > and his smart-ass comments.
>
> See? That sounds like something worth showing!

LOL! It's so barely started that it won't show much other than
the starting piece I'm working with.

> > Since this stuff thins down with water so
> > you can spread it easily and then drys hard, I'm also toying with the
> > idea of getting some high-density foam and carving a Tyrgon and then
> > covering it with MS for durability and detailing.
>
> I'd like to see how it goes - if that works, it might be the answer for
> that Eldar Titan I've been thinking about building.

I've already tried something similar with a standard piece of blue
insulation styrofoam. I covered it with 5 min epoxy that I brushed on.
Since the piece I covered was rounded, it has survived being crushed by
squeezing with my hand quite well. I'm not sure if something with flat
surfaces like a block/square shape would survive as well, but the
rounded one was encouraging.

> > I just used my dremel to carve Tau symbols into 'old stones' (sort
> > of like Norse runes) as base detailing for Matt's Tau stuff. It's also
> > becoming small tentacles and odd growths for the base of my 3rd plastic
> > Fex and the new Tyrant. And it'll be the basis of the 'rock formation'
> > on the base of my 3rd Ed (magnetic winged) Tyrant as well. Once I get
> > these done up, I promise I'll get some pics up on Gen-Bus.
>
> Excellent. I can't wait to see it.
>
> Also, FWIW, I just bought a Tensor "Excelsior II" 150W Halogen drafting
> lamp at Staples for only $40. I was surprised to see them back in stock
> - I thought Halogens had been discontinued.

Ohhh! We've got a Staples down the road a bit. I'll have to go
look. Thanks for the heads up.

Myr

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

September 20, 2005 6:20:41 PM

In article <Pine.SOC.4.61.0509160813270.5808@virgo.cus.cam.ac.uk>, Tim
Fitzmaurice, tjf11@cus.cam.ac.uk Varfed out the following in Timo
speak...
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Myrmidon wrote:
>
> > weather is just to damn cold to spray primer in, even with heating the
> > minis and the primer before hand since I can only spray out in the
> > garage. (No exhaust vent hood and spray painting in the basement =
>
> Ah the joy of the garage :)
>
> Mostly Im getting my epic Eldar up to speed for E:A. Had plenty of
> guardian squads but zero inthe way of aspects, support cannon etc. So
> recently there's been a few farseer stands produced, plus jetbikes
> actually painted, warwalkers as well as heavy weaps platforms...Im staring
> at a stack of Wraithguard and support platforms at the moment...

So, what's the verdict on Epic Armageddon? I know the 'living
rules' are on line, but is worth actually buying in bound print form?

> though I
> keep getting diverted to try and complete my Mighty Armies of Orcs and
> Barbs (trying to intro it to my club)

I've seen those at the local hobby shop - but I need yet *ANOTHER* minis
game about like the Titanic needs more water at the moment.

Myr :)

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

September 20, 2005 6:28:22 PM

In article <XKoWe.22019$Aa1.21054@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net>, Lief,
ask.me.for@it.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...

> > So, who's been up to what?
> >
> > (Besides Singers eating more paint - damnit!)
>

> I know I am a newb here and stuff, but anyway.

Yeah, so? We all started out that way at one point. (Except
perhaps for Smithdoerr <Kosh voice> 'Has always been here.') You've
apparently taken the time to read the FAQ and not top post, etc so
you're doing just fine.

<Snipped nice painting list>

> I would of had a War Eagle (RE: I will use as a great eagle), to paint, but
> my girlfriend decided she liked it and wanted to paint it. It was her first
> mini and indeed her first EVER painting of anything, with a small amount of
> direction from myself (I am hardly a pro...), she did a great job of it!

Ok, that is SO wrong! Getting your significant other to paint
minis (and nicely too) is a good way to get lynched out of jealousness
by the rest of us poor slobs that have to do it all ourselves. ;)  My
wife won't come near my gaming stuff other than to look at it - she
keeps claiming something about allergys to lead and plastic. :)

Myrmidon

--
I'll have you know that I am equivalent to *at least twice* my
bodyweight in Snotlings.

-- Brad Hann

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

September 20, 2005 8:51:26 PM

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Myrmidon wrote:

> So, what's the verdict on Epic Armageddon? I know the 'living
> rules' are on line, but is worth actually buying in bound print form?

I have both. The PDF is handy for scanning through & printing the odd page
for lamination and scribbling on, but frankly print is easier to look at
and read by the tabletop than A4 or Letter size PDF prints.

It also supports the release which I feel I wish to and Ive got so many
minis to paint from the late 80s alone for this game Im not going to be
buying too many.

>> though I
>> keep getting diverted to try and complete my Mighty Armies of Orcs and
>> Barbs (trying to intro it to my club)
>
> I've seen those at the local hobby shop - but I need yet *ANOTHER* minis
> game about like the Titanic needs more water at the moment.

Im a bit of A DBA/DBM fan myself and that particular game does the fantasy
ideas a hell of a lot better than the DBA fantasy companion (Hordes of the
Things). Its convenient and small space play - and does its thing about
40mins (OK Im going to be a bit biased since I playtested). However I have
bought an extra box set despite groaning bookshelves of games, and it did
seem to go down well at my wargaming club.

However I can understand your position as I listen to my shelves creak....

Tim
--
When playing rugby, its not the winning that counts, but the taking apart
ICQ: 5178568
September 20, 2005 9:05:04 PM

"Tim Fitzmaurice" <tjf11@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:p ine.SOC.4.61.0509201641460.27781@libra.cus.cam.ac.uk...
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Myrmidon wrote:
>
>> So, what's the verdict on Epic Armageddon? I know the 'living
>> rules' are on line, but is worth actually buying in bound print form?
>
> I have both. The PDF is handy for scanning through & printing the odd page
> for lamination and scribbling on, but frankly print is easier to look at
> and read by the tabletop than A4 or Letter size PDF prints.
>
> It also supports the release which I feel I wish to and Ive got so many
> minis to paint from the late 80s alone for this game Im not going to be
> buying too many.
>
>>> though I
>>> keep getting diverted to try and complete my Mighty Armies of Orcs and
>>> Barbs (trying to intro it to my club)
>>
>> I've seen those at the local hobby shop - but I need yet *ANOTHER* minis
>> game about like the Titanic needs more water at the moment.
>
> Im a bit of A DBA/DBM fan myself and that particular game does the fantasy
> ideas a hell of a lot better than the DBA fantasy companion (Hordes of the
> Things). Its convenient and small space play - and does its thing about
> 40mins (OK Im going to be a bit biased since I playtested). However I have
> bought an extra box set despite groaning bookshelves of games, and it did
> seem to go down well at my wargaming club.
>
> However I can understand your position as I listen to my shelves creak....

Another game doesn't scare me, but another scale of mini's does, unless I
can use the hordes of 25mm it don't get played these days.

--
estarriol
Anonymous

On 9/20/05 10:28 AM, in article
MPG.1d99e825413f201398a62d@news-server.woh.rr.com, "Myrmidon"
<ImNot@home.com> wrote:

>> I would of had a War Eagle (RE: I will use as a great eagle), to paint, but
>> my girlfriend decided she liked it and wanted to paint it. It was her first
>> mini and indeed her first EVER painting of anything, with a small amount of
>> direction from myself (I am hardly a pro...), she did a great job of it!
>
> Ok, that is SO wrong! Getting your significant other to paint
> minis (and nicely too) is a good way to get lynched out of jealousness
> by the rest of us poor slobs that have to do it all ourselves. ;)

Then I won't tell you about the guy who is really into assembling and
painting the Brets. He surpassed my research on heraldry in about...oh...a
week.

janet
--
The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
Gloria Steinem

Myrmidon wrote:
> In article <BF51DC6D.14F28%janetq@hotmail.com>, Janet Quick,
> janetq@hotmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
>
>>On 9/17/05 12:21 PM, in article SnXWe.118704$Ji4.108089@fed1read03, "Scott
>>McDaniel" <smcdaniel1@cox.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Ha! Even here in SoCal there is a "Painting Season".
>>>As soon as the temp drops below 60 at night, I stop spraying.
>>
>>When the temperature stops getting below 60 at night here I start thinking
>>of moving to someplace less tropical.
>>

> <Pssssst~! Just sell him boxes full of snow. Being from Cali
> he'll have no idea what to do with it, but the shear novelty of it will
> make you a fortune. Add in a little food coloring and flavoring and you
> can get him to eat it - Snow cones. Just don't tell him about 'Yellow
> Snow' until later.> ;)
>

>>>I've been doing the same as you: Priming everything I have in prep for the
>>>cold, cold nights ahead (it can get down to 59 degrees out here...)
>>>

>>Nobody else finds this sentence funny?
>>

>>janet
>>

> Yeah, it's funny. I'd make fun of him for that, but I lived in
> Cali for a while in a little town near Fresno. Moved back to Ohio end
> of May of that year. It had been an average of 95 - 110 degrees in Cali
> at that point and it was 60 - 65 degree in Ohio at the time. Everyone
> else is running around in shorts and t-shirts and I'm putting on a sweat
> shirt and jacket. You live in Cali for a while and your blood thins
> down to damn near water just to survive the heat, and you hit a 40 - 50
> degree temperature difference and you think you've stumbled into the
> artic circle.
>
> Myrmidon

Artic circle: Anything north of California!

Joe - it's cold toady 68F and rain showers in the desert.break out the
jackets!
- Boster
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 7:18:36 PM

Myrmidon wrote:

> Howdy
> So, who's been up to what?

Howdy back at you....

A new year, a new space marine army. Troops nearly all painted, only
one squad to go. On assembly there is a LR Crusader, a based coated a
Predator waiting detailing.Next purchase will be a razorback and I need
to troll through ebay for some cheap rhinos.
Then I'm ready to game

September 25, 2005 7:38:43 AM

Myrmidon wrote:
>John Hwang, JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com Varfed ...

>>You can still show off Works in Progress!
>
> Ok, I'll see if I can get some shots of the small weird stuff I've
> done and the 'teeth' for my Nid tunnel enterances. (Oh, and lets not
> forget the tiny 'shrooms' - any WFB player will tell you it's not
> going to win a Golden Deamon without shrooms on the base. ;)

Yeah, those damn 'shrooms...

>>>I'm working (slowly) on a home-made Harridan

>>See? That sounds like something worth showing!
>
> LOL! It's so barely started that it won't show much other than
> the starting piece I'm working with.

Oh. :(

>>I'd like to see how it goes - if that works, it might be the answer for
>>that Eldar Titan I've been thinking about building.
>
> I've already tried something similar with a standard piece of blue
> insulation styrofoam. I covered it with 5 min epoxy that I brushed on.
> Since the piece I covered was rounded, it has survived being crushed by
> squeezing with my hand quite well. I'm not sure if something with flat
> surfaces like a block/square shape would survive as well, but the
> rounded one was encouraging.

Cool!

>>Also, FWIW, I just bought a Tensor "Excelsior II" 150W Halogen drafting
>>lamp at Staples for only $40. I was surprised to see them back in stock
>>- I thought Halogens had been discontinued.
>
> Ohhh! We've got a Staples down the road a bit. I'll have to go
> look. Thanks for the heads up.

Glad to share.

\-|-/