HAD TO RE-FORMATT LAST NIGHT-SOMETHING ODD

Hello All,

I made a mess of my computer last night. I decided to remove Norton System
Doctor and Go Back.
Then, I tried this new virus program I had read pretty good views about at a
tech forum. Well, after installing and running it I decided to read the
forum that provide support for the freeware, Avasti, I believe is the
correct spelling of the freeware. So, I removed it and then decided to do a
system restore. I pushed the one I made that had Go back's name on it. I
thought it was the one I created for after installing it. I am no longer
sure. My computer would not boot into Windows, nor, safe mode, nor, last
know... . Horror hit me. Oh, no. So, I grabbed this disaster recovery disc I
had that came with a magazine I got PC Tools. It installed a Linux operating
system. I freaked. got rid of that and tried the XP and went with the re
format. However, this is the odd thing and I had no idea how to handle it.
There was two partitions--1 was C and called partition1 and 37.2 GB. Then
another one stated it was not partitioned and since I have a 40GB drive, I
suppose it was 6.8 GB. Not large by no means.
I didn't know what to do with. I started to delete it thinking it would
become part of the C and be included with the re-format by XP. Then, I
thought better of it.

See, my problem? Where did it come from, maybe Go back? Did I do something
in its options maybe. I did have Ghost to and decided I really had no need
for that and removed it way before anything else.
What do I do about it? If I ask XP to format, then, it will try to also
install there, if I delete, what will happen?

I also had a service pack 2 CD and installed that after I Windows booted up
and I got to wondering is the service pack 1 something that needs to be on
also, yet, I don't think it is available anymore. Does one even need it if
you have service pack 2 now?

Everything is fine right now, except a sense pending trouble hanging
overhead

I hope someone might have some thoughts on this and would be so grateful for
your advice.
3 answers Last reply
More about formatt night something

    Probably an image of the hard drive from the factory. I made that mistake
    and deleted the partition... and thank goodness i had recovery discs!!! I'm
    trying to say this; don't delete the partition.
    "Pike" <pike@canada.com> wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I made a mess of my computer last night. I decided to remove Norton System
    > Doctor and Go Back.
    > Then, I tried this new virus program I had read pretty good views about at
    > a tech forum. Well, after installing and running it I decided to read the
    > forum that provide support for the freeware, Avasti, I believe is the
    > correct spelling of the freeware. So, I removed it and then decided to do
    > a system restore. I pushed the one I made that had Go back's name on it. I
    > thought it was the one I created for after installing it. I am no longer
    > sure. My computer would not boot into Windows, nor, safe mode, nor, last
    > know... . Horror hit me. Oh, no. So, I grabbed this disaster recovery disc
    > I had that came with a magazine I got PC Tools. It installed a Linux
    > operating system. I freaked. got rid of that and tried the XP and went
    > with the re format. However, this is the odd thing and I had no idea how
    > to handle it. There was two partitions--1 was C and called partition1 and
    > 37.2 GB. Then another one stated it was not partitioned and since I have a
    > 40GB drive, I suppose it was 6.8 GB. Not large by no means.
    > I didn't know what to do with. I started to delete it thinking it would
    > become part of the C and be included with the re-format by XP. Then, I
    > thought better of it.
    >
    > See, my problem? Where did it come from, maybe Go back? Did I do
    > something in its options maybe. I did have Ghost to and decided I really
    > had no need for that and removed it way before anything else.
    > What do I do about it? If I ask XP to format, then, it will try to also
    > install there, if I delete, what will happen?
    >
    > I also had a service pack 2 CD and installed that after I Windows booted
    > up and I got to wondering is the service pack 1 something that needs to be
    > on also, yet, I don't think it is available anymore. Does one even need it
    > if you have service pack 2 now?
    >
    > Everything is fine right now, except a sense pending trouble hanging
    > overhead
    >
    > I hope someone might have some thoughts on this and would be so grateful
    > for your advice.

    If you have a 40 Gb drive, 37.something is the correct usable size.
    Sometimes you'll find an 8 mb piece left over; it's nothing to worry about.

    I'm not sure how you came up with 6.8 Gb of space left, but that's not
    possible, unless maybe you have a very strange 50GB drive instead of 40.

    "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If you have a 40 Gb drive, 37.something is the correct usable size.
    > Sometimes you'll find an 8 mb piece left over; it's nothing to worry
    > about.
    >
    > I'm not sure how you came up with 6.8 Gb of space left, but that's not
    > possible, unless maybe you have a very strange 50GB drive instead of 40.

    My mistake, I was very tired when I wrote that.

    I am relieved to read what both og you wrote, thank you.

    > "Pike" <pike@canada.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello All,
    >>
    >> I made a mess of my computer last night. I decided to remove Norton
    >> System Doctor and Go Back.
    >> Then, I tried this new virus program I had read pretty good views about
    >> at a tech forum. Well, after installing and running it I decided to read
    >> the forum that provide support for the freeware, Avasti, I believe is the
    >> correct spelling of the freeware. So, I removed it and then decided to do
    >> a system restore. I pushed the one I made that had Go back's name on it.
    >> I thought it was the one I created for after installing it. I am no
    >> longer sure. My computer would not boot into Windows, nor, safe mode,
    >> nor, last know... . Horror hit me. Oh, no. So, I grabbed this disaster
    >> recovery disc I had that came with a magazine I got PC Tools. It
    >> installed a Linux operating system. I freaked. got rid of that and tried
    >> the XP and went with the re format. However, this is the odd thing and I
    >> had no idea how to handle it. There was two partitions--1 was C and
    >> called partition1 and 37.2 GB. Then another one stated it was not
    >> partitioned and since I have a 40GB drive, I suppose it was 6.8 GB. Not
    >> large by no means.
    >> I didn't know what to do with. I started to delete it thinking it would
    >> become part of the C and be included with the re-format by XP. Then, I
    >> thought better of it.
    >>
    >> See, my problem? Where did it come from, maybe Go back? Did I do
    >> something in its options maybe. I did have Ghost to and decided I really
    >> had no need for that and removed it way before anything else.
    >> What do I do about it? If I ask XP to format, then, it will try to also
    >> install there, if I delete, what will happen?
    >>
    >> I also had a service pack 2 CD and installed that after I Windows booted
    >> up and I got to wondering is the service pack 1 something that needs to
    >> be on also, yet, I don't think it is available anymore. Does one even
    >> need it if you have service pack 2 now?
    >>
    >> Everything is fine right now, except a sense pending trouble hanging
    >> overhead
    >>
    >> I hope someone might have some thoughts on this and would be so grateful
    >> for your advice.

Windows XP