Johnny

When you buy a new Dell. Do you get a CD with the op system on it or is it
all on the hard drive?
Thanks Johnny

Generally speaking, you do not get a Windows XP disk with your new Dell. I
just bought two new systems, a Dimension 4700 and an Inspiron 9300 and
neither came with an operating system disk. They do provide a utility that
will enable you to burn a "recovery" type disk. This assumes your system is
configured with a CD or DVD burner, as most are these days.

You can simply call Dell and request disks and they will send them out to
you. I got mine (two disks, one for each of my systems) within three days
of calling Dell to ask for them. There was no charge for the disks. Be
prepared to speak to someone in India. The technician I got was a young
woman who was very sweet and spoke excellent english with that charming
Indian/British accent.

"Johnny" <candj01@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> When you buy a new Dell. Do you get a CD with the op system on it or is it
> all on the hard drive?
> Thanks Johnny

Johnny,
Dell is now placing a Hidden restore partition, on the HDD. So be careful if you decide to repartition the HDD. Make sure that you burn from the HDD, a copy of the OS folders and files. Make sure you have a CD or CD/DVD Writer included in your PC purchase. Also before partitioning, go to the Dell website and download all the drivers and software that is available for your PC, especially for laptops.

When you order your PC, there is an option to buy an OS CD for an additional $10.00 or so. You should select the CD purchase. Previously, Dell would send you the Restore CD, if you contacted them right away after purchase, when they first started to use the HDD option for restore. Since they are now offering the CD for sale, they may have, or will shortly stop offering the "free" OS CD.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Kevin wrote:
> Generally speaking, you do not get a Windows XP disk with your new Dell. I
> just bought two new systems, a Dimension 4700 and an Inspiron 9300 and
> neither came with an operating system disk. They do provide a utility that
> will enable you to burn a "recovery" type disk. This assumes your system is
> configured with a CD or DVD burner, as most are these days.
>
> You can simply call Dell and request disks and they will send them out to
> you. I got mine (two disks, one for each of my systems) within three days
> of calling Dell to ask for them. There was no charge for the disks. Be
> prepared to speak to someone in India. The technician I got was a young
> woman who was very sweet and spoke excellent english with that charming
> Indian/British accent.
>
> "Johnny" <candj01@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
>>When you buy a new Dell. Do you get a CD with the op system on it or is it
>>all on the hard drive?
>>Thanks Johnny

The small business lines (Latitude, Precision, etc.) seem to still offer
the disk upon order.

By default, you will not get a Windows CD. It's a $10 option at
purchase on most systems now.

Kevin wrote:

> Generally speaking, you do not get a Windows XP disk with your new Dell. I
> just bought two new systems, a Dimension 4700 and an Inspiron 9300 and
> neither came with an operating system disk. They do provide a utility that
> will enable you to burn a "recovery" type disk. This assumes your system is
> configured with a CD or DVD burner, as most are these days.

It is not a recovery disk, though Dell refers to it as such. It is full
Windows XP installation CD. If you've got a burner in that system, save
the $10.00 and just burn the CD as soon as you get the machine out of
the box.

Bob

"Bob Levine" <leave.me@lone.net> wrote in message
> Kevin wrote:
>
>> Generally speaking, you do not get a Windows XP disk with your new Dell.
>> I just bought two new systems, a Dimension 4700 and an Inspiron 9300 and
>> neither came with an operating system disk. They do provide a utility
>> that will enable you to burn a "recovery" type disk. This assumes your
>> system is configured with a CD or DVD burner, as most are these days.
>
> It is not a recovery disk, though Dell refers to it as such. It is full
> Windows XP installation CD. If you've got a burner in that system, save
> the $10.00 and just burn the CD as soon as you get the machine out of the
> box.
>
> Bob

On my two new Inspiron 6000 laptops, the option to burn the CD does NOT
exist. I believe they may not be doing that now that you can buy the disk
for a measly $10.

Tom

"Bob Levine" <leave.me@lone.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> It is not a recovery disk, though Dell refers to it as such. It is
> full Windows XP installation CD. If you've got a burner in that
> system, save the $10.00 and just burn the CD as soon as you get the
> machine out of the box.

Funny Europe is getting a CD free, but u can opt to NOT get one
shipped with the system. LOL