Quality of GW brushes?

After using generic craft store brushes for a while I decided to buy a
GW fine detail brush to see what they were like. About 15 minutes into
the painting the brush had already started to fuzz out. Within 30
minutes the thing was unusable. My cheap craft store brushes still have
a good tip on them after about 100 hours of painting. Did I just get a
bad GW brush or are all GW brushes this hopeless?

<anon6111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> After using generic craft store brushes for a while I decided to buy a
> GW fine detail brush to see what they were like. About 15 minutes into
> the painting the brush had already started to fuzz out. Within 30
> minutes the thing was unusable. My cheap craft store brushes still have
> a good tip on them after about 100 hours of painting. Did I just get a
> bad GW brush or are all GW brushes this hopeless?

Same thing happened to my first FD brush. Yours lasted longer, though.
IMHO, GW brush quality is iffy. Search the other posts for a thread
discussing GW brush alternatives.
But it sounds like your cheapies are doing the trick!

For the Emperor!!!

drgrbek

It was a cold day in September when entered the world pub known as
rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> After using generic craft store brushes for a while I decided to buy a
> GW fine detail brush to see what they were like. About 15 minutes into
> the painting the brush had already started to fuzz out. Within 30
> minutes the thing was unusable. My cheap craft store brushes still have
> a good tip on them after about 100 hours of painting. Did I just get a
> bad GW brush or are all GW brushes this hopeless?

I think you may have gotten one of their better ones...

--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com

anon6111@hotmail.com wrote:
> Did I just get a bad GW brush

Not at all.

> or are all GW brushes this hopeless?

Yup.

Now buy some decent artists brushes. If you can't go that route,
mailorder some Vallejos from the Warstore.

\-|-/

anon6111@hotmail.com wrote:
> After using generic craft store brushes for a while I decided to buy a
> GW fine detail brush to see what they were like. About 15 minutes into
> the painting the brush had already started to fuzz out. Within 30
> minutes the thing was unusable. My cheap craft store brushes still have
> a good tip on them after about 100 hours of painting. Did I just get a
> bad GW brush or are all GW brushes this hopeless?

Brushes can be a funny thing. About a year ago I bought some cheap craft
store brushes when they were on sale (making them cost almost nothing). I
bought them with the intention of using them for destructive purposes. The
joke of it is, they're just about the best brushes I've ever owned! I've
got expensive artists brushes that are garbage compared to them!

Zane